By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Motion control comming to the 360 this Fall

Yeah, we have seen from the past that if it isn't bundled with something that is going to nearly guarantee most users would buy it, I wouldn't expect too many games to support it long term.

I think only the Wii has the namebrand power right now to release a peripheral that would initiate long term massive sales.

Around the Network

3rd party company making motion controls? Sounds like a glitchy waste of money. Let the big companies take care of motion control systems.

@Bardicverse: In2Games released motion controller to PS2 for christmas 2007. This has better chance to succeed, since it's released earlier in the consoles life.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Peripherals released later on in the life cycle of a console never have impressivley high attach rates , exactly why HD-DVD had such a low attach rate and exactly why Motion + will have a low attatch rate.

The consumer expects a complete gaming package so buying an additional peripheral ( especialy if it's expensive ) will have to offer some serious incentive to make the purchase worthwhile , I guess Rockband and Guitar Hero offer this sort of incetive.

I think it's too late for this to get any serious 3rd party support , it certainly won't be in any 360 games in the near future and will never be mandatory for big 360 games ever .

I suggest everyone check out the web site for Squeeballs. www.squeeballs.com. From there you can get some information on the motion controller that has been developed. When you read the details, you can see how this thing perfects motion control.

And I personally feel this will be successful. I think 360 owners, vocal or not, have been wanting something like this. I feel the game it comes with will be more of a tech demo (although marketed properly it could hit mainstream success, much better than Viva Pinata). But it looks interesting and fun as a family game, which I am always looking to find. And being a 360 only owner (only got so much time and money) this is right up my alley.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Around the Network
dreamcast210 said:
I suggest everyone check out the web site for Squeeballs. www.squeeballs.com. From there you can get some information on the motion controller that has been developed. When you read the details, you can see how this thing perfects motion control.

And I personally feel this will be successful. I think 360 owners, vocal or not, have been wanting something like this. I feel the game it comes with will be more of a tech demo (although marketed properly it could hit mainstream success, much better than Viva Pinata). But it looks interesting and fun as a family game, which I am always looking to find. And being a 360 only owner (only got so much time and money) this is right up my alley.

I agree.  From the look of the video it does do very accurate pointing withou the need for IR.  With everyone saying that this generation will be longer (so still has like 3 years or more left) I think this has plenty of time to catch on and be a selling point to combat the Wii.  I mean, to the casual audience and parents, they'll see the commercial for the new Xbox 360 with motion controller and a price of less than the Wii and they'll likely go that route instead of the Wii.

It all depends on the price, marketing, and future game support, though.

@Nightsurge: What you suggest is first party support. Without the first party support, it's highly unlikely to have success.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
@Nightsurge: What you suggest is first party support. Without the first party support, it's highly unlikely to have success.

I didn't suggest anything.  I said "support," not "first party support" or "third party support."  I am almost certain Microsoft will be all over marketing this and producing games for it.  I am also certain that it will garnish some good third party support as well.  I don't want them to start implementing these controls into shooting games and stuff like that... just for use in new casual titles and maybe patch it into older casual titles that could benefit from it.

@Nightsurge: Well now, unless it gets bundled and M$ driving it forward to devs, to get it implemented into all the games from now on, it has no widespread future.

I don't know if the controller has a controller for the second hand, but if it doesn't, it's going to limit severely its useability in most of the games, which means that it basically limits itself only into number of categories of games (meaning limited success).

M$ may not be interested in supporting the peripheral due to their next gen plans. Since their Xbox ventures aren't going to turn into profit this gen and Nintendo is going to end up as a winner this gen, they need to hit next gen to edge out the competition. M$ doesn't want to spoil their next gen potential by marketing it this gen.
Also, they're doing rather good at the moment, especially when Sony is doing relatively bad (who M$ wanted to shoot down).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Max King of the Wild said:
seece said:
atma998 said:
seece said:
yanamaster said:
seece said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Seece

what!

that game looks horrible!

Well no actualy gameplay was shown so I guess we're both wrong ... anyway it looks more creative and fun that Wii Sports ... or Wii Play whichever one its trying to be.

So we have no actual gameplay yet you say it looks more creative than wiisports and the rest?

....i wonder if you understand just how stupid that comment was. Make a claim like that after we've seen more than a cg movie.

I'm going by the fact it has charm and is much easier on the eye, the basics of the game are going to be much the same as Wii Play/sports. If not better because its updated tech.

Oh please! Stop trolling...

Its my opinion the game looks more fun than Wii Sports/Play ...

mine too but i think he feels alittle threatened. no other reason than that to be that defensive . he shouldnt feel that way since i think itll bomb

Like I said before he can't say this game look more fun than Wii Sports/Play when there isnt any gameplay shown. This is absolutely ridiculous. Whatever I agree with you that it will be a total flop!