By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chief of Germany's national police union wants to ban violent games..

If the head of Germany's Police Union had his way, violent video games would be banned. The comments from Heini Schmitt, head of the Hessen German Police Union (DPolG), were made following a horrific school shooting at a Winnenden, Germany, secondary school.

17-year-old Tim Kretschmer reportedly murdered 15 school goers, both students and teachers -- fourteen of which were female -- before taking his own life.

According to German news site Echo Online, an addiction to "killergames" is apparent in "every situation" of violent rampages. Whether or not the site is making a statement specific to Germany or a sweeping judgment on worldwide violence is unclear. As for Schmitt, he is aware there is no evidence that violent video games cause violent behavior, but thinks the role of "killergames" cannot be "completely dismissed." With that in mind, Schmitt believes when an opportunity exists to remove a potentially violent stimulus, it must be used. "The world would be no poorer if there were no more killergames," the chief of the German police union added.

It's difficult to analyze, or even dismiss, Schmitt's claims following such a horrific act. However, it's even more difficult to gauge any psychological triggers that exist in our society. After all, throughout history violent behavior has been blamed on almost everything, but because of their graphic nature, mature games have become the easiest target to publicly lambaste.

-------

This doesn't look good for germany

So what do you think?

Around the Network

thats horrible who would do something like that(talikng about the killer). they should read a book called grand theft childhood it is a great book.

Well since I dont know any of their Freedom of Speech laws, all I can say is that it could be possible. But to think that the world would be no poorer without violent video games is ubsurd. This would put alot of video game developers out of business I am afraid.

i cant remember any video games where you walk around killing women.... this is just YET ANOTHER dig at videogames...how about movies? internet? no no no. its only videogames!

^^ You can in Fable 2. You can have your way with them, sleep with multiple women at once and men, abuse them and kill them.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

This would require a faceslap... Germany, as far as i know, has one of the tightest laws considering violent videogames.

@Vetteman: Denying the holocaust results up to 10(?) years in prison and the extreme right wing political parties are banned by law. And, videogames that involve killing people are already banned in Germany.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
This would require a faceslap... Germany, as far as i know, has one of the tightest laws considering violent videogames.

@Vetteman: Denying the holocaust results up to 10(?) years in prison and the extreme right wing political parties are banned by law. And, videogames that involve killing people are already banned in Germany.

Germany sounds "locked up" when you put it that way

pbroy said:
^^ You can in Fable 2. You can have your way with them, sleep with multiple women at once and men, abuse them and kill them.

yes but that is your choise... he obviestly has something against women....video games did not trigger that...

@Darkhaven: Germans still have their stigmas originating from WW2.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

But this is quite troubling for German gamers