By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The lenght of this generation

Hey everyone, so this is my second thread, as I saw with my first there are some great people with comments, and idiots who seem to love to start stuff.  My first thread, "Why the PlayStation is the strongest brand name in video games" was a firestarter.  I saw a lot of good opinions and many of you did change my mind a little.  Anyway, it got me thinking about the prices of this generation in terms of hardware.

We have a system at $399-$499, one at $199-$299, and the market leader is $249.  We have not gone below $200 which by now in a usual generation of console we would be in.  So I thought, is it possible for Sony or Microsoft to release their new systems while the current ones are still pricey?  IDK, I was just wondering what you guys thought.  The Xbox 360 came out with Xbox at $149,  Wii is still $249 and I don’t see a price cut soon.  Does this mean that when PS4 come out, PS3 will be $199? 

I personaly believe that the higher prices will lead to a very long generation of consoles, especially with the global reccession. Well, just wondering what you guys thought.

As always comments and opinions are welcomed, trollers and idiots, well… have fun, seems to be what you guys like to do.

Around the Network

this gen will go as long as it takes for the next 360 to hit the shelves

and that is generally agreed to be coming with in the next 3-5 years

and by then it should have the high end 360 skus priced at 150-200

and then when the 20 hits the shelves it will fit in at the 350 mark

And the 360 will drop to a one sku unit for 150 and stay there until it dies

It will be 10 mile..errr.......10 years long
PS4 will come out 2017
Xbox720 2013 or 2014
wii 2 2011-2012

BTW: from ur tone i think u want to start some thing...

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

I think...

Well, all the manufacturers want it to be longer. All of them, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, will be pretty happy to sit on the consoles they have right now.

Dude stop calling people idiots just because you don't agree with them ..

Around the Network

I like it how you make a thread and try to create a serious discussion, then finish off by labelling us trollers and idiots, that'll go down well.

I think that the next generation will start with the next xbox. By that stage, I think the 360 Pro will be at $200 (generally accepted as mass market price). I think that'll be within 3-5 years (like someone else here mentioned), because the best thing for MS to do now is gain a significant profit and launch the next console ASAP, whilst still producing the 360. Force Sony to keep up or be left in the dust.

I think you're right though, more likely than not, this generation will last longer than the previous two (which I think were roughly 6 years?).

Get use to the PS3 people i have a theroy that its going to last a good 7 more years before a new console is introduced

Poggy-Green said:

Hey everyone, so this is my second thread, as I saw with my first there are some great people with comments, and idiots who seem to love to start stuff.  My first thread, "Why the PlayStation is the strongest brand name in video games" was a firestarter.  I saw a lot of good opinions and many of you did change my mind a little.  Anyway, it got me thinking about the prices of this generation in terms of hardware.

We have a system at $399-$499, one at $199-$299, and the market leader is $249.  We have not gone below $200 which by now in a usual generation of console we would be in.  So I thought, is it possible for Sony or Microsoft to release their new systems while the current ones are still pricey?  IDK, I was just wondering what you guys thought.  The Xbox 360 came out with Xbox at $149,  Wii is still $249 and I don’t see a price cut soon.  Does this mean that when PS4 come out, PS3 will be $199? 

I personaly believe that the higher prices will lead to a very long generation of consoles, especially with the global reccession. Well, just wondering what you guys thought.

As always comments and opinions are welcomed, trollers and idiots, well… have fun, seems to be what you guys like to do.

wat?

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

I really hope that the next generations starts around 2015. I hate that when the consoles are in their 5th year the best games appear and then a new console comes and is starting all over again.

I think that the new audience created by the wii has a lot to come.

I think that the PS3 has a lot to be exploited.

And I think that the 360 has some more wind up to last.

So yeah I guess this gen takes a little longer than the past ones.

nen-suer said:
It will be 10 mile..errr.......10 years long
PS4 will come out 2017
Xbox720 2013 or 2014
wii 2 2011-2012

BTW: from ur tone i think u want to start some thing...

Lol Nintendo is wiping the floor with the competition and you expect them to release their next console 1 to 6 years earlier than the others.  Do I sense a hint of Wii being a fad?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down