By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PlayStation brand name is the strongest brand name in video games

bdbdbd said:
@BladeOfGod: You got me with the Deutsche Bank.

One thing you're right, the brand familiarity/strength is changing all the time. But where you really are off, is how you can compare them. I guess you're not that old since you're going only 15 years back in your brand comparision. You know, there are people that don't know what Playstation is, but are very familiar with Nintendo, like my mother, who purchased videogames for her kids before Playstation was even born, but not after. You can't cherrypick a specific timeframe and ignore everything outside it. You also can't base it on "fairness", since being fair has nothing to do with this. Is it fair that China is the most populated country in the world? No, but that's just a fact that exists. Is it fair that Nintendo made videogame consoles 20 before Sony? No, but that's just a fact that exists.

Brand familiarity and loyalty is about how well known the brand is (i put these two in the same category for them being too close to each other).
Brand image is about how the brand is perceived by people.
Brand strength is about how strongly the brand is related into its trade.

For example, Sony is well known brand in electronics, but due to variety of its product lines, it's not a strong brand in many areas, therefore it's better for them to brand their products instead; Walkman, Bravia, Playstation. Some products are still sold under the Sony brand.

Nintendo isn't as well known brand as Sony (or atleast shouldn't be), but is much strongly related into videogames, just like Playstation is instead of Sony.

When someone says "Sony", you know the someone is talking about electronics.
When someone says "Playstation", you know the someone is talking about videogames.
When someone says "Nintendo", you know the someone is talking about videogames.

"Brand" goes a lot deeper than that, but i try to keep it as simple as possible.

Well than i guess Nintendo and PlayStation are not in the same league since Nintendo was 10 years longer in the industry and has 8 more consoles.So comparing the one who is longer in the industry and made more products with someone who made much less products and spend much less time in the industry is not just ''unfair'' but also stupid. You cant compare them.

Around the Network

PlayStation is way stronger brandname than Nintendo, it has a lot more appeal. PlayStation is more known towards people that are not in gaming. More people doesnt know what Nintendo is, compared to Playstation.

Sorry about my bad english.

I'm not reading 5 pages of comments...

But I think it depends a lot on your age. The younger ones who grew up on a PS1 would probably feel this way. Many of us who as a kid opened up a brand new NES on Christmas would probably feel totally different.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

". You cant compare them."

and that is why nintendo would win---more people know of them b/c they have been able to get to more ears b/c of clever marketing

its a simple fact

more people in this world have bought something from nintendo then from PlayStation

and i am not just talking about machine

Nintendo has action figures of their characters, clothing, movies, shows, cartoons

these things are what make Nintendo a stronger brand

hell look at the following Pokemon has...and guess who they tie back to?

@was---not true Mario and his devote following of fans say hello--b/c there are more of them then there are people who follow the PlayStation

hell you could put him in a game where his mission is to eat dead baby fetuses while punching jews and denying god, and slap the Nin seal of quality on it and it will sell millions of copies

can PlayStation boost that?

we saw what they got from "brand" loyalty when they tried to say b/c it was a PlayStation it was worth 600 + $s

You might as well stop Mesoteto, he thinks that the comparison in "unfair," and doesn't seem to be changing his stance. You're just wasting your own time at this point.

Around the Network

i don't know it keeps bouncing back b/t being fun in a mean way and sad

like when you have a team of noobs in a game and you can just slap them around but at the same you cant believe they would jump straight to online with out even learning what the controls are

i am surprised he hasn't left yet or call us a bunch of modders

Why would he call us modders?

it was a joke ref to how little noobs online when getting pwnd ...never mind it not funny unless you get it from the start

i will just go back to this

Oh, all right I see now. And yes, I sorta killed the joke.

Women have ruined this thread ...