By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battle of the beasts PS1 VS SNES

^Still not on Mr.M's level. Look, I like Kojima as much as the next guy. But he's more into cinematics, making games like a theatrical medium..Which is cool, but Miyamoto has shaped the way we've played games..more than ONCE. the guy's the #1 man in this business.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:

^Still not on Mr.M's level. Look, I like Kojima as much as the next guy. But he's more into cinematics, making games like a theatrical medium..Which is cool, but Miyamoto has shaped the way we've played games..more than ONCE. the guy's the #1 man in this business.

He really hasn't created anyhing of any new substance since the eighties.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:

Miyamoto is no better than Kojima and he is certainly inferior when it comes to crafting stories.  So, at best for Nintendo and Miyamoto, it could be considered a tie with Nintendo having Miyamoto and Sony having Kojima.  So one would have to look at other factors.

Kojima is far inferior to Robert Jordan when it comes to crafting stories.  Oh wait, we are talking about video games.  I guess I am the only person who reads books to get a good story and play games for good gameplay.

Certainly the SNES didn't have a racing game the equal of Gran Turismo or Gran Turismo 2 but the Nintendo fans will say "no racing game equals Mario Kart in terms of fun.

The PS1 did have far more of Square's top games while some will say that Nintendo had the best Square games overall, but the PS1 had four Final Fantasies to release in the US and a great Dragon Warrior game while none of the SNES DW games came out in America, one of its FF games failed to come out in America.  One of its Mana games failed to come out in America and several smaller but fondly recalled games like Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure Hunter-G failed to come to America.  Most of those games probably would have come to the American PS1.

The PS1 probably didn't have any platformers that rivaled the ones on the SNES.  However, all things considered the PS1 probably had better shooters something SNES didn't seem to have very many of at least in the US.

The top three paragraphs fall into the following problem.  When you are asked "which is the better console", are you talking about which one has the more refined and better designed games or which one has the more original and innovative games.  When you are talking about two consoles from two generations, the later one (PS1) will obviously have the more refined and better designed games because they base their game designes off of designs developed in the SNES generation.  The consoles from the previous generations (SNES) are going to have the more innovative and original games since the games made for the PS1 are based off of design concepts used during the SNES era.  You can say the same thing about SNES vs. NES.  Keep this in mind for the following paragraphs.

As for Mario Kart vs. Gran Turismo, the SNES did not have the technology to make Gran Turismo.  Mario Kart was more original and innovative, however, and is more fondly remembered because of that.

Same thing with FPS games.  The SNES did not have the technology to make really good FPS games.  Just about the only one I can remember is DOOM.

As for RPG's, I would stack the SNES library against PS1.  Once again, remember that PS1 games are going to be better designed and more refined because they are using the design concepts from RPG's made during the SNES era.  FFVI and FFVII are somewhat close together with development dates and many people (including myself) believe the only thing FFVII has going for itself is better graphics (ie: bad 3D graphics, see earlier post in multicolor).  Not only did the SNES have FF IV and FF VI, but it also had: Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire II, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, 7th Saga, Chrono Trigger, Lagoon, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (sounds like an Indiana Jones title), Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, Paladin's Quest, Robotrek, Illusion of Gaia, Illusion of Time, Shadowrun, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and those are only the ones I've played myself.

I guess it could be considered a draw. 

"Kojima is far inferior to Robert Jordan when it comes to crafting stories. Oh wait, we are talking about video games. I guess I am the only person who reads books to get a good story and play games for good gameplay."

Actually that is debatable because the stories Kojima has told in the Metal Gear Solid series rate up there with those of Cormac Macarty whose novel "The Road" is considered to be the best English language novel of the last twenty-five years or at least those of Alan Moore and Frank Miller. Alan Moore's Watchmen is also considered to be one of the Top 100 novels of the last twenty-five years. I've never seen a Robert Jordan book on such a list and he is widely considered to be a second-rate Tolkien or Robert E. Howard impersonator.

Much as Moore's books are highly prophetic of the times that we are living in, so are Kojima's games.

I am primarily interested in the stories in gaming because I enjoy watching what has mainly been considered an ephemeral artistic medium evolve into more than that.

"The top three paragraphs fall into the following problem. When you are asked "which is the better console", are you talking about which one has the more refined and better designed games or which one has the more original and innovative games. When you are talking about two consoles from two generations, the later one (PS1) will obviously have the more refined and better designed games because they base their game designes off of designs developed in the SNES generation. The consoles from the previous generations (SNES) are going to have the more innovative and original games since the games made for the PS1 are based off of design concepts used during the SNES era. You can say the same thing about SNES vs. NES. Keep this in mind for the following paragraphs."

The PS1 had its own fair share of great original games. Jumping Flash 1 and 2 are the first 3d platformers. Intelligent Qube, Parappa the Rapper, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo and many others.

"Same thing with FPS games. The SNES did not have the technology to make really good FPS games. Just about the only one I can remember is DOOM."

Even though it didn't have the technology for many fps games like Doom. FPS games aren't the only kinds of shooters. There are 2d space shooters like Ikaruga an Defender and other shooters like Gunstar Heroes and Contra. The SNES should have been able to play these types of shooters as well as any console of its time, but really the only one it had was Super Contra. The SNES was totally destroyed by both the Genesis (Gunstar Heroes, Thunder Force, Alien Soldier, Ranger-X, Vectorman) and the older PC Engine (R-Type and many more) in terms of the quality and number of shooters for each of these three consoles in a way that the PS1 was not during its gen.

"Not only did the SNES have FF IV and FF VI, but it also had: Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire II, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, 7th Saga, Chrono Trigger, Lagoon, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (sounds like an Indiana Jones title), Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, Paladin's Quest, Robotrek, Illusion of Gaia, Illusion of Time, Shadowrun, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and those are only the ones I've played myself."

But the PS1 had Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Front Mission 3, Star Ocean 2, Suikoden I and II, Persona I and II, Wild Arms, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Thousand Arms, Knight and Baby (Guardian's Crusade), Legend of Mana, Dragon Warrior VII, Tales of Destiny I and II, Vagrant Story, and it introduced the Sega CD classiscs Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar II: Eternal Blue to much wider audiences. I would say that just taking rpgs released in America into consideration, the PS1 far surpasses the SNES in this genre and it is only when you take some of the SNES games that were only released in Japan into consideration does the SNES manage to come up with a tie in this genre.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Arius Dion said:

What?

The man pioneered the way we experience 3-D environments in Super Mario 64, re-imagined three-dimension puzzle solving in Ocarina of Time, is the idea man behind the play concepts of the most important DS and Wii games...

What more could you want?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:
Arius Dion said:

What?

The man pioneered the way we experience 3-D environments in Super Mario 64, re-imagined three-dimension puzzle solving in Ocarina of Time, is the idea man behind the play concepts of the most important DS and Wii games...

Jumping Flash and Tomb Raider did 3d platforming and puzzle solving first and in some ways better.  I'd rather run along behind Lara than Link any day.  And surely he doesn't place Pikmin, Nintendogs and Wii Music very high on his resume.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:
Arius Dion said:

What?

Jumping Flash and Tomb Raider did 3d platforming and puzzle solving first and in some ways better.  I'd rather run along behind Lara than Link any day.  And surely he doesn't place Pikmin, Nintendogs and Wii Music very high on his resume.

Tomb Raider did not come out before Super Mario 64 - it was released in Europe at about the same time, but it came out in the States over a month later. I don't know when Jumping Flash came out.

The point of that was that Super Mario 64 set the gold standard and utterly changed the way in which 3-dimensional levels were even designed, both in terms of potential non-linearity, in size, and in terms of how levels could flow into themselves.

Tomb Raider's puzzle solving has absolutely nothing on the spacial logic involved in Zelda's puzzle-solving, do not even try to argue on this. You might as well be comparing Zelda to Resident Evil.

And yes, actually, I imagine that he would.

I'm 25, and I choose SNES by far. So many great games...

Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:
Arius Dion said:

What?

Tomb Raider did not come out before Super Mario 64 - it was released in Europe at about the same time, but it came out in the States over a month later. I don't know when Jumping Flash came out.

The point of that was that Super Mario 64 set the gold standard and utterly changed the way in which 3-dimensional levels were even designed, both in terms of potential non-linearity, in size, and in terms of how levels could flow into themselves.

Tomb Raider's puzzle solving has absolutely nothing on the spacial logic involved in Zelda's puzzle-solving, do not even try to argue on this. You might as well be comparing Zelda to Resident Evil.

Jumping Flash came out in September of 1995.  Over a full year before Mario 64.  And Tomb Raider came out two years before Ocarina of Time.

Funny, you guys go on about how Metacritic isn't an accurate measure to judge anything by and then you start saying things like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are the gold standards because they've always been the highest rated.

Really, those games and the Rare games only received the ratings they did because there wasn't anything else to play on the console.  Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are no better than MGS or FFVII.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:

Jumping Flash came out in September of 1995.  Over a full year before Mario 64.  And Tomb Raider came out two years before Ocarina of Time.

Funny, you guys go on about how Metacritic isn't an accurate measure to judge anything by and then you start saying things like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are the gold standards because they've always been the highest rated.

Really, those games and the Rare games only received the ratings they did because there wasn't anything else to play on the console.  Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are no better than MGS or FFVII.

That is not what this discussion is about. You claimed Miyamoto hasn't done anything special since the 80's. That is verifiably and unquestionably false.