By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the 360 the jRPG machine this generation?

not when they all flop

Around the Network

Yes it is.

hatmoza 2.0 said:
not when they all flop

I think you should go look as some sales data from JRPGs on past consols that are not the big 3 (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts.) and you will see similar numbers.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

WereKitten said:
Onyxmeth said:

What do you mean by "be behind"? I haven't seen a single advancement in RPGs past the PSOne days(which is where the hardware of the DS is at) that can't merely be replicated on the DS. Give me one single advancement since the PSOne days that the DS simply can't handle. For every one you give me, I'll give you something the touch screen and dual screens have added to the experience making the triumphs of DS RPGs far above what the 360 or PS3 could give RPGs.

What about sheer size? How much data can the DS cards hold?

At the time of PSOne there were RPGs on 4 cds ie about 2.5 GB

Those discs were never used to their capacity. I'll read the file size of each ISO to create a backup disc of Final Fantasy VIII from a ROM site.

Disc 1: 490.5 MB
Disc 2: 414.1 MB
Disc 3: 427.9 MB
Disc 4: 431.2 MB

Total: 1.764 GB

Nowadays the DS has such advanced compression software that it can turn a 1.7 GB game and shrink it down considerably. The largest card for the DS is 256 MB, but that is merely because no game has needed anything larger. If it was needed, a larger card would be produced. It would just cut a bit more into the profit margin.

To use an example, Disgaea was ported in completion from the PS2 to the DS. It is remarkably the exact same game minus some missing audio.

Disgaea PS2: 533.73 MB
Disgaea DS: Runs on a 64 MB card

Now if the DS can do that, imagine how it could get FF VIII on a 256 MB card(4x the size of the card housing Disgaea). Not entirely out of the question is it?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Undying said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
not when they all flop

I think you should go look as some sales data from JRPGs on past consols that are not the big 3 (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts.) and you will see similar numbers.

Yeah, the main Tales of games like TotA and ToS did sell 3/4 times more on the previous consoles and Star Ocean TLH will be lucky if it actually manages to sell one third of what the previous one did

Around the Network

Well, besides Valkyria Chronicles, there's really nothing to compete with Lost Odyssey and SO4. Disgaea 3 was awesome, but I don't think that counts?

I'd say the Xbox 360 is in the lead so far. No telling if it will stay that way. Things are looking up for the Wii. PS3 has a few promising titles in development...

edit: If we're including handhelds, the DS and PSP definitely win this gen.

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?

The RPGs have been a hit and miss but as long as they keep them coming i dont care!

We still don't have Tales of Vesperia or So4TLH or culdcept released in europe yet!!!

not to mention theres a good few thousand playing mmorpg FFXI on 360 and phantasy star universe