By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Penny Arcade on Lair

Gelmer said:
I haven't played this game, and never will but it seems rather unanymous the game is quite lacking. I can't help but sympahize with Tycho in many of this thoughts on the matter including his insight into those who will try and take pride in their ability to actually play the game with any enjoyment or how IGN, who was previous seen as Sony's bitch is and apparently always has had a Sony bias according to livid Lair fanboys.

The problem with Lair is that it was so hyped, that this blind faith in a would-be launch title that couldn't even be saved an additional year of work has not only put the spectacle of high-end HD game under increased scrutiny from gamers more and more tempted by the graphically modest approach of Nintendo but has cast an even darker light on the so-far mediocre PS3 line-up with a game that was just flat out bad.

I certainly hope those who have reserved or have already purchased the game and are unable to undo the cruel fate dealt them will somehow find a way to enjoy Lair, but I can honestly say I would not want to be in their shoes right now, out of sixty bucks and with this game in my library.

Original Post Edited...Issue Resolved

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
IGN publishes a magazine?  I had no idea.

Sorry, must've had someone else in mind.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

Original Post Edited...Issue Resolved

super_etecoon said:
Gelmer said:
super_etecoon said:
IGN publishes a magazine? I had no idea.

Sorry, must've had someone else in mind.

Perhaps an edit to your post is in order, since that quote is a little slanderous, even going so far as to use the b-word.

Already did.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

fixed.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

It's almost the exact opposite. Did you actually read the article? The purpose of it is to end attacks. The point is that the PS3 does not need Lair to be great. Lair is not the PS3's only game, and it's certainly not tied to the system. Admitting Lair is a bad game is not saying the PS3 sucks as a system. If every bad game that came out made a system bad then there would never be a good system in the history of gaming.

This is a good point.  The PS3 also has Resistance: The Fall of Man.

Seriously, though, many PS3 fanboys have been saying that Lair would justify the $600 purchase.  People were treating it as though it was the next Zelda.

Hopefully Lair will be a good lesson to the PS3 fanboys who have been indiscriminantly jumping on every single bandwagon the Ps3 has ushered out. Not everything can be a gold gem and if you back every game you're going to get burned eventually. Though this did kind of sneak up on everyone, its really hard to say anyone knew the game could be this bad a month ago.

Gelmer said:
Hopefully Lair will be a good lesson to the PS3 fanboys who have been indiscriminantly jumping on every single bandwagon the Ps3 has ushered out. Not everything can be a gold gem and if you back every game you're going to get burned eventually. Though this did kind of sneak up on everyone, its really hard to say anyone knew the game could be this bad a month ago.

Yeah, but people were treating Lair as though it was a 10/10 better-than-any-game-on-the-other-systems for the last 6 months. It's fair to say, "wow, this looks really pretty" but very little about Lair was otherwise known. We didn't even know the framerate would be 1/4th of what it should be.

Everything that fanboys anticipate is a AAA 'this will end the world' game.  Heavenly Sword, Lair and a whole slew of others.  Lair is not a AAA game.  It's not an A game.  It's not even a C- game.

Conversely, look at the anticipation of Super Mario Galaxy -- people haven't been assuming all that much until they start seeing videos that show off awesome gameplay, then they freak out in anticipation. Because it looks like that much fun. All the fanboys kept saying about Lair is that they couldn't believe how pretty it looked and how it was going to justify the platform.  Fanboys for other platforms aren't clinging to everything announced and claiming it will be AAA.  Nintendo fanboys have been anticipating 3 titles as AAA titles for the second half of '07 -- Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Brothers: Brawl.  Anything else good that comes out is icing on the cake.

Has anyone ever seen such a swift abandoment of such a hyped game before though? This really surprised me, it's like I woke up one morning and suddenly everyone just 'knew' it!

Wonder what relations between IGN and Sony will be now? Or will Sony turn their wrath towards Factor5? I mean there have only been posters for this in every game store for about six months now you can't tell me Sony wasn't expecting this to be big too.

Gelmer said:
Has anyone ever seen such a swift abandoment of such a hyped game before though? This really surprised me, it's like I woke up one morning and suddenly everyone just 'knew' it!

I've never seen such a highly hyped game fall this hard before period.  I've seen some pretty hyped games come in as good games instead of great or phenominal games, but I've never seen something this hyped come in this below average before.