By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's wrong with PS3 owners?

First day: Halo 3 (360) - 2500,000+ 
First day: Gears of War 2 (360) - 2100,000

2 days: Killzone 2 (PS3) - 323,000
October debut: Little Big Planet (PS3) - 215,000

Why is this? Fucking WHY? It's insane to me. Killzone 2 was the most hyped PS3 game ever made fans and fanboys had been yelling about this game since E3 2005 or whatever. What the hell happened and why don't the Triple boys buy games? Loss of sales can't be blamed on piracy either.

Can someone explain this to me, please? Will God of War 3 push numbers like this too? ICO 3 confirmed for 50k sales? Ugh..

Xbox Gamertag: BrapRedHarvest PSN ID: Brap123

Around the Network

Smaller install base, and the fact that crazy internet hype doesnt mean mainstream success. Either way those are very successful debuts, when considering size of install base.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

Gears of War sold 910k in its first week which was 6 million install base of X360 back in November 2006.

Killzone 2 sold 750k in its first week on a 20.5 million install base of PS3.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

VGChartz is showing:
First Week: Gears of War 2 - 1.8M
First Week: Killzone 2 - 0.7M

Arcturus said:
Where are you getting your numbers from?

VGChartz is showing:
First Week: Gears of War 2 - 1.8M
First Week: Killzone 2 - 0.7M

Have I ever told you that you have my favorite avatar on the entire website?

Around the Network

This has been disscused plenty of times already.

The widely circulated conclusion is that the PS3 install base consists of a set of consumers with a very broad range of tastes. While the 360 install base is more focused, ie. there is a larger 'shooter crowd' in the 360 install base.

The 360 also has a much larger install base in NA, where gamers are more likely to make day-one purchases then their European counterparts.

As for internet hype, a few outspoken posters on a website do not correctly represent the views of the average consumer.

It's all marketing and fanbase based.

Gran Turismo franchise sells well because it has a past history of fans and a great fanbase on it's consoles. When Gran Turismo 5 is released. It will easily sell 4 - 5 million no problems.

God of War franchise sells well (Given the type of game it is) it has a core group of fans. When God of War III is released, I think it will easily sell 2-3 million.

Comparing Kill Zone 2 to Halo 3 / Gears of War 2 in terms of sales is a bit of a fallacy. Kill Zone is the sequel to a game many people have never played and many of the people that DID play it, Didn't like it or found it to be a BAD game.

Halo 3 is the sequel to two very successful predecessors. Gears of War 2, sequel to a successful original game.

Unfortunately, we can't see the original Halo's numbers BUT I guarantee you Halo didn't fly off the shelves (Atleast initially).

Through two weeks of sales the original Gears of War had only sold :

Week 1 910,931
Week 2 465,778

A total of 1,376,709 copies.

Kill Zone 2 has sold comparable amounts.

I bet Kill Zone 2 grows some legs and ends up selling fairly well and will be a solid selling franchise.

IMO ps3 owner arent just FPS lovers like Xbox360 owners!

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

@Dallinor

How can that possibly be true? Top 10 selling 360 and PS3 games:

PS3:

1 GTA4
2 COD4 - shooter
3 MGS4 -shooter
4 MS
5 R1 -shooter
6 AC
7 COD 5 - shooter
8 GT5
9 Uncharted - shooter
10 LBP

1 Halo 3 - shooter
2 COD 4 - shooter
3 GTA 4
4 GOW - shooter
5 COD 5 -shooter
6 GOW 2 -shooter
7 AC
8 Forza 2
9 GH3
10 LIJ

So, 5 shooters each? There's no argument there.

Xbox Gamertag: BrapRedHarvest PSN ID: Brap123

RedHarvest said:
@Dallinor

How can that possibly be true? Top 10 selling 360 and PS3 games:

PS3:

1 GTA4
2 COD4 - shooter
3 MGS4 -shooter
4 MS
5 R1 -shooter
6 AC
7 COD 5 - shooter
8 GT5
9 Uncharted - shooter
10 LBP

1 Halo 3 - shooter
2 COD 4 - shooter
3 GTA 4
4 GOW - shooter
5 COD 5 -shooter
6 GOW 2 -shooter
7 AC
8 Forza 2
9 GH3
10 LIJ

So, 5 shooters each? There's no argument there.

Having a gun in gameplay does not qualify a game as a shooter. In this case you should have made GTAIV a shooter but you did not because it is a sand-box game and the game isn't entirely based on just gunplay.

Uncharted is an action/adventure. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a Stealth/Espionage. This is just like how Splinter Cell isn't just a "shooter".

Yes MGS4 can be played like a shooter, but the core focus on gameplay is not, that is why there are trophies for killing no enemies and not tripping any alarms.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!