By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Madworld not selling confirmed

Okay.. Now I AM kinda pissed. The game itself is pretty awesome, but why the hell does the PAL version have borders and... only a 50 hz mode?!

To me, this is kind of a faulty product .. and I feel a little stupid, considering I bought it twice of amazon.uk (cheaper there), so I can resell 1 copy to a friend ..

Btw. I browsed the platinum forums and it seems I'm not the only one that thinks that it stinks..
http://forums.platinumgames.com/showthread.php?t=136

Around the Network

don't jump the gun yet on madworld it is a new game and probably mainstream gamers don't really know about madworld. i don't think i even seen a commercial on this game or even a small trailer on tv so if nintendo or sega doesn't give it hype the game will have to be word of mouth and what have you. just chill and hopefully this game will sell at least 300k - 500k i think that will be profitable enough.

A lot of people here seem to have missed on one very important fact. The fact that this game is going to sell one million sales within it's first year, because I said it would.

That is all.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

IGN podcast said that Sega is happy with Madworlds sales numbers so far.

It's started similar to House of the Dead Overkill in Europe and absolutely kicking it's tukus in NA.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Expect it to creep up to a million kind of like COD: WaW on Wii

Same old argument. How many times must we go through this? No game on Wii can be judged a failure or success based on 1 week's data.

BTFeather55 said:

Putting all games on a continuum of 1 to 100 points as they do at Game Ratings or Metacritic scores for games in the Wii series range from low for Wii Music to average for Wii Sports to alright but nothing spectacular for Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit.  I don't believe any of them is higher than an 85. And, I didn't get into gaming to play games like Wii Fit and Wii Play in the first place.  I got into gaming to play the types of games that were the most popular in almost all preceeding generations action and adventure games with good action and good stories, jrpgs, etc.

This is an assumption that many people make -- that metascores equate to a true measure of quality.  They are a proxy -- but a sometimes flawed one.  After all, the people who are doing these reviews have biases -- much like the rest of us. Given their demographic -- as they tend to be 20-something and 30-something males -- there are genres and subgenres of games that score higher than they should based upon merit.

For example, DDR games tend to have slightly lower scores than GH games -- even early on when there was not much difference in substance (match music pattern).  

Genres that fare better range from casual games (Madden games until they "jumped the shark" recently) to open-world games to first person shooters.

Genres that fare worse are those which are seen as difficult (RTS) or are not seen as realistic enough (kart racing). 

Again, everyone has their opinions and their favorites. But just because one person does not like a certain type of game does not mean it is not a game that people will not buy.

What does this have to do with Madworld? There is a corralarly thought (also false) that if you like one type of game, you cannot like another type of game. Since Wii gamers are thought to like "silly" games and "non-game" games, there are those who feel that anything of a mature nature does not belong on the Wii, will not sell on the Wii. and instead should only be on consoles that cater to gamers who like to have a "harder edge" to their gaming. 

To this I say "poppycock!"

People have to relaize that many gamers are multi-facted, real people with a variety of interests. And games that cater to these interests -- no matter what they are -- usually get the sales they deserve OVER TIME.  Judging sales by two days of results is just foolish -- unless it suppots a flawed hypotheses that some people have.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Gamerace said:
Same old argument. How many times must we go through this? No game on Wii can be judged a failure or success based on 1 week's data.

Well, then we can estimate using the weekly sales of other Wii games of comparable genre/target userbase/style

No More Heroes
Total: 390K - 72k 44k 41k 21k 17k 14k 11k 11k ...

Okami
Total: 210K - 35K 18K 13K 8k 7k 6k 4k 3k 3k 2k ...

Considering that Japan sales for NMH were more front-loaded than those in NA and Others but we had none to contribute to MadWorld, if they sell similarly we can probably forecast about 45k next week and a total of 350-400k in the very long term.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
Gamerace said:

Well, then we can estimate using the weekly sales of other Wii games of comparable genre/target userbase/style

No More Heroes
Total: 390K - 72k 44k 41k 21k 17k 14k 11k 11k ...

Okami
Total: 210K - 35K 18K 13K 8k 7k 6k 4k 3k 3k 2k ...

Considering that Japan sales for NMH were more front-loaded than those in NA and Others but we had none to contribute to MadWorld, if they sell similarly we can probably forecast about 45k next week and a total of 350-400k in the very long term.

That's a fair assestment except Okami was a port and NHM had no marketing and was a flawed (if fun) game.   Hopefully MadWorld will do better than 500k.  But even at 350-400k it's a profitable game and might get a sequal like NHM.