By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

It's an interesting read, and sure to get alot of disagreement from the some, BUT, it's interesting to point out that we didn't see this expect massive increase in brd sales over the holiday season, as many raved about for months leading up to it.  It really a question of how sustainable this format can remain, without WW support.  Sure, it's doing well in Japan, but with electronics makers around the world reeling financially...how interested are they going to be in investing further to push the format?  Time will tell....

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/963/963916p1.html

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
heruamon said:

It's an interesting read, and sure to get alot of disagreement from the some, BUT, it's interesting to point out that we didn't see this expect massive increase in brd sales over the holiday season, as many raved about for months leading up to it.  It really a question of how sustainable this format can remain, without WW support.  Sure, it's doing well in Japan, but with electronics makers around the world reeling financially...how interested are they going to be in investing further to push the format?  Time will tell....

Because you really think selling DVD players for 30$ is going to save the electronics companies ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
heruamon said:

Because you really think selling DVD players for 30$ is going to save the electronics companies ?

What I am sure isn't, is selling products for a loss....

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Ail said:
heruamon said:

Companies make profits on their blu-ray players.  The diodes aren't very expensive anymore.

IGN's article is deliberately provocative.  It's also easy to quibble with.  Blu-ray is just a stop-gap before downloads?  DVD was always a stop-gap before Blu-Ray and downloads.  DVD players can upscale?  PS3 and other blu-ray players are awesome upscalers.  Some movies you can't get on blu-ray?  Good luck finding FFVII: Advent Children Complete on DVD, suckers.

heruamon said:
Ail said:
heruamon said:

Only player sold at a loss is the PS3...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

IGn is so stupid, they should try aligning the launches of DVD and Blu-ray and the majority of their problem disappear. DVDs were $40 and Players were $600 when DVD was released, do people really forget this. And anyone who says that the difference is small is only kidding themselves.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
heruamon said:
Ail said:
heruamon said:

Companies make profits on their blu-ray players.  The diodes aren't very expensive anymore.

IGN's article is deliberately provocative.  It's also easy to quibble with.  Blu-ray is just a stop-gap before downloads?  DVD was always a stop-gap before Blu-Ray and downloads.  DVD players can upscale?  PS3 and other blu-ray players are awesome upscalers.  Some movies you can't get on blu-ray?  Good luck finding FFVII: Advent Children Complete on DVD, suckers.

Not sure what you are saying there about DVD, it's been the defacto standard for >7 or 8 years now, but okay, believe what you want.

As to the rest of your points, I'm sure every consumer that wants a DVD player or Blu-Ray player is going to think about those things before buying...the $200 dollar difference wont affect them at all.

Look I'm not saying Blu-Ray sucks, I have a player (Sony BSP something or other) and love it...I'm just not sure you can generalize your passions to the rest of the DVD player buying world.

You should cut and paste "VHS" everywhere "DVD" is in the article, and "DVD" everywhere "Blu-Ray" is, and it would be very entertaining to read.

It would read very much like an article from the late 90s, actually.

I have been waiting for someone to post this article.  I've read the article and all I can say is wow.  This is the best argument the DVD writer at IGN can make against Blu-ray?  It's pretty sad, I'm not sure why this is considered an interesting read.

Here are his points:

• It's Cheaper Than Blu-ray:  No kidding.  Really, the original xbox and PS2 are cheaper than the 360 and the PS3, but I bought the more expensive systems because they offerred the features I wanted. 
  • Mo' Technology, Mo' Problems:  Mo' really?  I guess we shouldn't progress with technology because it may not work correctly 100% of the time.  HDTV's have "Mo' Technology" as well, I guess people shouldn't buy them either?
  • You Already Own A Ton of DVDs:  God, it would be great if a Blu-ray player could play your DVD library and perhaps improve the quality in some way, oh I forgot that's what a Blu-ray player does.
  • Up-Conversation Really Works:  Really, as opposed to it not working.  Good thing all Blu-ray players upconvert.  But you know what's 4x better than upconversion a native resolution of 1920x1080 with a 40.0Mbps bit rate.
  • You Can't Get That on Blu-ray: It's a good thing your Blu-ray players can play your DVDs.  There is no reason to buy an older movie on Blu-ray.  If the native film is of low quality, then obviously you aren't going to take advantage of Blu-ray.  I remember some dumb author complaining about the Planet of the Apes wasn't any better on Blu-ray.  Why would it be?
  • Blu-ray is A Stop-Gap:  Really.  It's a stop gap for the next 12 years.  I fully expect another optical format to replace Blu-ray, because we are light years away from a digital distribution model that can actually work using Internet technologies.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Ugh again with the Bluray is doomed threads. Sorry mack you're confusing Bluray with HDDVD. And digital downloads aren't the way of anything I hate downloading stuff in SD let alone HD. DVD does not compare to Bluray as far as visual sound and quality but hey, geuss what Bluray players play DVD too, so your Ren and Stimpy collection is still safe. And sales for Bluray are up 500% yoy.