By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider the Wii part of this generation?

(Alright don't throw stuff at me for what I'm about to say, it's just what I think, and I am a graphics whore so that would explain my answer, I just want to know if other people think this aswell)

I consider the Wii not part of this generation. Every generation seemed to be decided by graphics, that was always the biggest improvement every generation. Now I know the Wii has improved graphics over the GameCube, but compared to how different the PS3 is to the PS2 and X360 to the Xbox (or the HD consoles) the Wii isn't much of an improvement on graphics.

This generation we're in (the 7th gen) I consider to be the HD generation, so the Wii can't fit into that so I would say it belongs in the 6.5 generation.

Around the Network

They were not decided by graphics, do not be silly.

We've had this argument hundreds of times.

Yes, I consider the Wii part of this generation. It's the only reasonable conclusion.

it is part of this gen!

"I am a graphics whore"

so why did you buy a ps2?

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Let me help you out with the 360 so you can take that out of the equation and put the PS3 as the winner in a one horse race. All you have to do is say the 360 doesn't count because it doesn't have a Blu Ray player, so in the HD/Blu Ray generation, only the PS3 emerges as the winner against itself...or maybe just the single loser. So the Wii can be the 6.5 generation, the 360 can be the 6.9 generation and the PS3 can stand victorious by itself. Better?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Generations are decided by periods of time, not graphics.

Are you saying the DS belong in the fifth generation right beside the N64 and ps1?

Around the Network

Is the Wii the next generation of the Nintendo home console?

Generations are defined by time, not processing power. /thread

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Yes I do.

Ofcourse it's a part of this generation. It's competing in the same market, and more importantly it was released at a similar time. Dreamcast graphics sucked compared to PS2/GC/Xbox but most still consider it part of the 6th gen.
If we're going to get all anal about the graphics the PS2 was the 5.9th generatin, Gamecube the 6.0th and Xbox original was the 6.1 generation. Doesn't that sound retarded?

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Absolutely not!