By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Epic Broken Sword: Directors Cut (Wii) Trailer!

Hmmm IGN even says that the DS version is better:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/brokenswordtheshadowofthetemplarsdirectorscut?q=broken%20sword

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
Just looked at Metacritics:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/brokenswordtheshadowofthetemplarsdirectorscut?q=broken%20sword

Since I wish to have Marble Saga Kororinpa and getting Rune Factory Frontier, I'd better wait for a bit, most likely next month I'll get this game with Sam & Max which I still don't have. Is that one any good? Never played the PC version by the way.

Sam & Max has good content, but a couple of issues. 

First, it has framerate problems. It's pretty tolerable most of the time, except for a chase scene which is almost unbearable in episode 1. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Second, a lot of the dialogue gets recycled from one episode to the next. I spent episode 2 & 3 clicking on objects and talking to characters and getting the same dialogue as I got in episode 1. It was underwhelming. From episode 4 on they freshen up the dialogue and go to new locations, so like my previous quibble, you just have to move past it.

The third issue is just that most of the puzzles aren't too hard. There was about one tricky puzzle per episode, so if you're really after a brain tease, there are better puzzle games out there.

All that said, the game is definitely worth $30, IMO.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Gamerace said:

Don't worry - I'm definately buying this. But it hard to justify the cost when I could just play the PC version for probably $5 and it's 80% the same.

I'm also in the same boat as famousringo with, ironically, all the same games, plus Tenchu and HoTD:Overkill and GTA:CW & FE:SD for DS. Ugh! There's enough to last me the rest of the year already and it's only March!

So I'll hold off on Broken Sword 'til the price drops. It's Ubisoft, probably won't be long.

Well, if it's a lower price you're looking for, why not try the DS version? It's the same game, just without the voice acting.

famousringo said:
*~Onna76~* said:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/brokenswordtheshadowofthetemplarsdirectorscut?q=broken%20sword

Since I wish to have Marble Saga Kororinpa and getting Rune Factory Frontier, I'd better wait for a bit, most likely next month I'll get this game with Sam & Max which I still don't have. Is that one any good? Never played the PC version by the way.

First, it has framerate problems. It's pretty tolerable most of the time, except for a chase scene which is almost unbearable in episode 1. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Second, a lot of the dialogue gets recycled from one episode to the next. I spent episode 2 & 3 clicking on objects and talking to characters and getting the same dialogue as I got in episode 1. It was underwhelming. From episode 4 on they freshen up the dialogue and go to new locations, so like my previous quibble, you just have to move past it.

The third issue is just that most of the puzzles aren't too hard. There was about one tricky puzzle per episode, so if you're really after a brain tease, there are better puzzle games out there.

I'll second famousringo's opinion, and only add that the humor is fantastic. One critic called it Gaming's First Sitcom, and they're not that far off.

Before I joined this site I never heard anyone claiming that point&cllick adventures have no replay value at all or that the price of a point&click adventure is too high.

It's no surprise that this genre has no good reputation among gamers anymore but despite the good games coming out the reputation doesn't really improve.

I repeat what I already wrote in my comment about the Another Code/Trace Memory review: In my opinion this is the most underrated genre by both, reviewers and gamers nowadays.

noname2200 said:
Gamerace said:

Don't worry - I'm definately buying this. But it hard to justify the cost when I could just play the PC version for probably $5 and it's 80% the same.

I'm also in the same boat as famousringo with, ironically, all the same games, plus Tenchu and HoTD:Overkill and GTA:CW & FE:SD for DS. Ugh! There's enough to last me the rest of the year already and it's only March!

So I'll hold off on Broken Sword 'til the price drops. It's Ubisoft, probably won't be long.

Well, if it's a lower price you're looking for, why not try the DS version? It's the same game, just without the voice acting.

Interesting idea.  Ironic the DS version scored higher because it lacked the voicework.  But I like to play P&C games on my Wii while eating or enjoying a drink since I can do so one-handed.   I'm aleady getting GTA:CW and FE:SD on DS anyway.

famousringo said:
*~Onna76~* said:

I'll second famousringo's opinion, and only add that the humor is fantastic. One critic called it Gaming's First Sitcom, and they're not that far off.

Personally I found the humour overwrought in the first couple of adventures - they just try too hard to be funny with every thing they say  but by the 3rd adventure it starts to find it's pacing.   Although there were a few laugh-out-loud moments mostly I found it more cute than funny.

Still I played the whole thing, totally enjoyed it and will definately pick up Season Two.   It's worth the $30 easy.