By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix really owes Nintendo

ssj12 said:
Square saved themselves, Nintendo being the main platform really doesnt matter, they could have used SEGA's platform. Square was in a whole, Final Fantasy was their make or break game. It was a massive make. Your general theory about Square needing Nintendo can be considered false due to the fact all Nintendo is mainly getting either spinoffs, kiddier games (crystal chronicles was originally kiddish), or ports of old games. This is typically called being used. Just like, what company was it, Capcom? Using Nintendo to fund their bigger projects, FFXIII, FFvXIII, and that one new MMO.

I agree that Square doesn't owe Nintendo, but the statement that Square could have simply made final fantasy for sega consoles is rediculous.  Square needed Nintendo at that time, the master system and genesis bombed in Japan.  Most of the sales for this game came from Japan, and Square has Nintendo to thank for that.  If they made them on those systems they would not be the company we know them as today.  However, i'm not gonna go as far to say that they STILL owe Nintendo anything.  I didn't like it when they moved to playstation, but it was the right thing to do for them.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Soriku said:
This is my opinion: SE was going bankrupt 'k? They had money to make ONE more game. Since it was going to be their last game, last fantasy, they called the game Final Fantasy. It became a HUGE hit and SAVED SE from going bankrupt and they continued the series. All thanks to Nintendo and their fans w/ a high userbase, and thanks to SE themselves for making a *GOOD MAIN SERIES TITLE.* So they made FF 2-6 after for the NES/SNES. Soon came along Sony. They ushered SE to mske games for them and taunted them with CDs. SE agreed and left Nintendo with their N64. Sure, money talks, but Nintendo saved them from going down. They left Nintendo to drag around for 2 gens and make Sony King. This gen...it's different. Nintendo has the lead and if money talks, the Wii is here. But people should know why FF XIII is still for the PS3. This gen (currently) Sony is getting dragged around and that will continue because HD isn't mainstream, and Nintendo is looking for a WIDER audience. These casuals (the wider audience) may even go hardcore or normal gamers in 5 years+ in time for next gen and might stay Nintendo for the T-P support and the Wii 2. Now if money talks...SE better get their act together and make Wii games. Bring on the KH, SO, DQ, and ULTIMATELY FF. At least bring KH and SO this gen, with DQ X maybe or stay DS. Fabula Nova Crystallis might be holding back FF XIV. So lets go on to next gen... Next gen Nintendo will pursue HD and probably have PS3's power or CLOSE and dev costs should go down next gen so if they get the series that saved them and back to the company that helped them it should look better than FF XIII and dev costs will be normal. Instead of risking it to the PS4, they could pay back Nintendo. P.S. Woops! In the first-second paragraph "SE" should've been Square.

the story changed...

squaresoft not squareenix...

square enix is the shadow of the ancient square soft...

really nintendo proved many times that they do not need j-rpg to make a good console...

as yamauchi said these games are not games...(in a sense)

we all remember when he said that he prefers games to make people play togheter...

same as miyamoto said recently and during gamecube era...

we need to evolve...

leave j-rpgs to hikikomoris...

they are so old gen!!!!

Do what business ventures they believe to be profitable. One day, when you're grown up, you'll understand that.

definition of hikikomori from wikipedia:

The lack of social contact and prolonged solitude has a profound effect on the mentality of the hikikomori, who gradually lose their social skills, social references and mores necessary to interact with the outside world. They may immerse themselves into the fantasy worlds of manga, anime and video games, which in turn become their only frame of reference. Due to a lack of interpersonal stimulus the hikikomori may developmentally stagnate into routine behaviors as time passes, sleeping all day and staying up all night only to sneak out into the kitchen for food when the family is asleep. In extreme cases, the hikikomori eventually abandons all diversions of books and TV and simply stares into space for hours at a time.

yamauchi definition of j-rpg gamers:

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games," he noted in a 1999 interview.

he simply analized hikikomori phenomenon...

classic j-rpgs have to evolve...

not in hikikomori direction,not in mmorpg direction...

players must regain the will of playing with other people.

that's the spirit of iwata,reggie and miyamoto's statements during these years...

leave squareenix and their hikikomori fans to the past...

Soriku said:
Wait, so what do you guys think SE should do? Make money with Nintendo or stay put with Sony?

do exactly what they are doing, and that is make games for all consoles.  I do think that if they knew PS3 would have done this bad they would not have made FF13 on PS3.  They're making games for PSP and DS, PS3, Wii, and a little on 360 and i think that is how it should be. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

ot:

also this from the president:
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories. Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies."

found on IGN site.

but they misunderstand these words.

history,wii and ds proved yamauchy words

ign,usual idiots...

Please kids, do not say SE when talking about Squaresoft. Squaresoft and Enix worked on different series back them. Also, Enix did not screwed themselves with Final Fantasy SW kinda of business.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

johnsobas said:
Soriku said:
Wait, so what do you guys think SE should do? Make money with Nintendo or stay put with Sony?

do exactly what they are doing, and that is make games for all consoles. I do think that if they knew PS3 would have done this bad they would not have made FF13 on PS3. They're making games for PSP and DS, PS3, Wii, and a little on 360 and i think that is how it should be.

square enix simplu understand that they are sinking...

ps2 dominant->square only on sony.

nintendo dominant->square became multi for real. 

I wonder way during ps1/2 domination they didn't any (decent) game  for saturn,n64,ps2,xbox,gamecube...

now that sony can't assure them the same money they become multi for real...

they are sinking...

i don't know if this time nintendians will buy squareenix...

for sure nintendians do not needs old gen games like the same old j-rpgs...

they are really old gen and games for hikikomori loosers...

The last thing (or one of the last ones) yamauchi did for Nintendo was to make sure that Square would make games for the Nintendo platform again. And they are doing so now.

But since it takes square a lot of time to make games (they just have so many teams they spit a game out every year) it will just take a while untill they become evenly spread over the platform.

And since the PS3 sells like used baby dipers, i don't think it would take too long untill we hear some FF news for the Wii. Yet it won't probably be out in 2009.

ItsaMii said:
Please kids, do not say SE when talking about Squaresoft. Squaresoft and Enix worked on different series back them. Also, Enix did not screwed themselves with Final Fantasy SW kinda of business.

you're the only one here mixing the two...