By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should students be told some subjects are more important than others?

Parokki said:
The high school level curriculum should contain a lot of variety for a well rounded education. Obviously some subjects are more important than others, but it's not like they're all taught in equal amounts.

That being said, it would be nice to go back and change the things I studied. The second half of all math that I took in high school was a waste of time, and I probably would've survived with slightly less Latin... =P

Latin isn't taught in the UK which I have always seen as wierd. I have had to teach myslef basic latin and Greek to understand what certain words mean in science based subjects etc... i often find myself talking and saying the something in latin and having that person reply telling me they don't know what that word means, yet a lot of it is pretty common stuff like 'et al' or 'per se'. I reckon we should teahc latin in schools here.

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
Parokki said:
The high school level curriculum should contain a lot of variety for a well rounded education. Obviously some subjects are more important than others, but it's not like they're all taught in equal amounts.

That being said, it would be nice to go back and change the things I studied. The second half of all math that I took in high school was a waste of time, and I probably would've survived with slightly less Latin... =P

Latin isn't taught in the UK which I have always seen as wierd. I have had to teach myslef basic latin and Greek to understand what certain words mean in science based subjects etc... i often find myself talking and saying the something in latin and having that person reply telling me they don't know what that word means, yet a lot of it is pretty common stuff like 'et al' or 'per se'. I reckon we should teahc latin in schools here.

i had to do latin in year 9 and i could have done it for GCSE, im not going into science though, so i didnt, but i did get taught it for a year, cant remember any of it though, lol