By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gamespot Reviews Blue Dragon- 6.0

mrstickball said:
*sigh*.

The fact is, Blue Dragon has already gone wildly beyond my expectations for the game. It's phenominal.

The reviewers have it wrong with this one, beyond all imagination. The game's quality is absolutely stunning. The locations in the game are superb. They are just upset that the game is a by-the-book turn based JRPG, and nothing more. The story is decent thus far (but since when are Japanese RPGs filled with good stories as of late? Even the last few FFs I've played had mediocre stories).

The graphics, music, and gameplay are near-10s for me. I've never had so much fun just grinding for no reason (and I'm just grinding for no reason, fyi).

Please, if you ever enjoyed a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, you WILL LOVE Blue Dragon. This game is Nobuo Uematsu's masterwork. His soundtrack to this game is up there in his top 3 EASILY. I would put it as the 2nd best soundtrack I've ever heard by him (#1 being Chrono Trigger).

Please....Go rent this game if your not going to buy it. The gameplay is very solid. The Job Class system is one of the best, most well balanced systems I've played. It doesn't do anything to shake up the JRPG genre - which is why reviewers are giving it mediocre scores. What they forget is that despite that issue, it nearly perfects the turn based JRPG genre, and is easily (to me) ranking up there with any 3d JRPG I've played in the past 10-odd years.

GET THIS GAME. NOW!

Wow? its that good? im on the edge of buying it and i knew it was a def rental. And im curious on how deep the gameplay truely is, demo was a huge letdown but then again the choice of the demo sucked rather badly.

But if its as good as you say it is mr stick, i might buy it, if you have any more insight i would love to hear it.

And really guys, its been a mixed review so far from most people. Game informer gave it a 9 and a second opinion of a 9 which is really good. They gave eternal sonota a 8.25 with 8 second opinion. I really believe jrpg people will like it while most of the rest wont (why such low reviews)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
mrstickball said:
*sigh*.

The fact is, Blue Dragon has already gone wildly beyond my expectations for the game. It's phenominal.

The reviewers have it wrong with this one, beyond all imagination. The game's quality is absolutely stunning. The locations in the game are superb. They are just upset that the game is a by-the-book turn based JRPG, and nothing more. The story is decent thus far (but since when are Japanese RPGs filled with good stories as of late? Even the last few FFs I've played had mediocre stories).

The graphics, music, and gameplay are near-10s for me. I've never had so much fun just grinding for no reason (and I'm just grinding for no reason, fyi).

Please, if you ever enjoyed a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, you WILL LOVE Blue Dragon. This game is Nobuo Uematsu's masterwork. His soundtrack to this game is up there in his top 3 EASILY. I would put it as the 2nd best soundtrack I've ever heard by him (#1 being Chrono Trigger).

Please....Go rent this game if your not going to buy it. The gameplay is very solid. The Job Class system is one of the best, most well balanced systems I've played. It doesn't do anything to shake up the JRPG genre - which is why reviewers are giving it mediocre scores. What they forget is that despite that issue, it nearly perfects the turn based JRPG genre, and is easily (to me) ranking up there with any 3d JRPG I've played in the past 10-odd years.

GET THIS GAME. NOW!

Wow? its that good? im on the edge of buying it and i knew it was a def rental. And im curious on how deep the gameplay truely is, demo was a huge letdown but then again the choice of the demo sucked rather badly.

But if its as good as you say it is mr stick, i might buy it, if you have any more insight i would love to hear it.

And really guys, its been a mixed review so far from most people. Game informer gave it a 9 and a second opinion of a 9 which is really good. They gave eternal sonota a 8.25 with 8 second opinion. I really believe jrpg people will like it while most of the rest wont (why such low reviews)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

I really think it's that good.

Let me put it this way:

If you dislike, or are not a big fan of Final Fantasy, then don't get the game, just rent it. The gameplay is insanely similar to the older Final Fantasies (most notably, FF 5). The battles can get repetitive (but they don't last very long), and all the other things of a typical JRPG.

Nevertheless, if your used to, and love, your standard menu-driven turn based RPG, you'll love Blue Dragon because there's PLENTY of great additions to the game.

Let me sum it up in a real quick review:

Graphics - 9.75. I don't think I've been blown away by a game like this since Gears of War. The graphics aren't so much uber-impressive via poly counts, or insane lighting, but the fact is the game pulls of CG-quality design throughout the entire game. Even though there are cutscenes, the actual quality of normal gameplay is insanely good. The dungeons are the most massive, coolest dungeons I have ever seen in any RPG. Ever. Everything visually screams perfection. Even though Artoon did the grunt work, the graphics are superb. The only thing I can really dock score on is the framerate. It does slow down in combat at times (but not nearly as good as the demo).

Story - 8.5. Blue Dragon's only real weak spot. It's a typical (but very good) JRPG. You start out as a small meaningless kid, and become some what of a savior. But thus far in my game, there's been plenty of intrigue and cool stuff to keep it going. But again, if your like me, and have played lots of JRPGs, the story isn't a suprise at all - but is still very enjoyable.

Sound & Music - 9.5 - The soundtrack is one of the BEST I've ever heard. Ever. Uematsu did a fantastic job. The soundtrack is so varied and beautful. Some songs are very interesting (such as a rather scary piece using a chorused piano with lots of delay, think Resident Evil 1, to fun beach songs). I just enjoy runing around listening to the OST when possible. However, the only big problem with the sound is some songs are overplayed - the boss battle music, and normal battle music are there for every battle, so it does get old for those areas. Also, the VA is superb, but Maru and Shu's voices get pretty annoying (but they are meant that way, their annoying qualities are addressed in the game).

Also, what is great is the US version has 3 VA tracks with whatever subtitles you need. You get English, French and Japanese in the US version. Sweet.

Gameplay - 9.5 - From an objective standpoint, the gameplay is either going to be scored real high if you love standard JRPGs, or real low if you are insanely bored of turn based JRPGs. The formula they use is very similar to Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest games.

However, the formula is near-perfect. The menu-based system gets a few cool additions such as charge attacks (which require some skill to time right), which makes it fun. Also, the field combat (basically, pre-battle strategies) add some good depth into battles. If your like me, and can tire of fighting endless streams of enemies, you can group multiple unfriendly parties into one battle, and kill them all without loading times. Also, this plays a huge strategy as well, as some groups of enemies hate eachother. Get certain groups together in one encounter, and they kill eachother - leaving you to get free EXP and SP.

Also, the Job class system is phenominal. I loved FFT and Ogre Battle's job class systems, and Blue Dragon is slightly better than both. Each class is incredibly useful. I've found myself leveling up almost every available class to get a good edge on the enemies, as they are all so useful.

And there are enough gameplay elements to keep the genre so fresh - secret items are so prevelant, it's not funny. To get a huge advantage, you have to check under every rock, and behind every box to get huge bevys of items, gold, exp, SP, and everything else. It's a perfectionist's nightmare, as I've found myself spending lots of time just searching for extra items.

The game also borrows alot of content from Chrono Trigger as well. Locked, and barrier-proofed treasure chests abound through the entire game. In just about 7 hours of gameplay, I've found atleast 10 areas I need to re-visit for special items - more than enough to want to spend the time to.

Lasting Appeal - 8.75 - Far better than the normal JRPG, there just seems to easily be enough content to keep playing the game. Definately not like a sandbox "the possibilities are endless" game, but very good for a JRPG. Better than standard DQs and FFs, IMO (not quite on the Chrono Trigger level though).

IMO, if you think you can rent Blue Dragon, and be able to dedicate 60+hours into it, be my guess. However, with all the little extra items and such strewn throughout the game (and the insane achievements) there has to be atleast 75hrs of good content in the game. And another 25 if your going to get 1000/1000 for the achievements.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

i got the game and i think it is a great game. Many americans (i am an American) don't appreciate JRPG. Most of us like shooters or WRPG like Oblivion. The only true JRPG that America loves is Final Fantasy, and people buy it just because they have a great history and a constant release of good games. Blue dragon is a new series that people question about. When people learn that the common people(not the reviewers that hate JRPG) love this game, the sequel, Blue dragon 2 will get alot more sells

Fuzzmosis said:
Shrug, get Ted Woosley to translate it! (Alright, that's a weird reference. Well, not really.).

Same score X-Play gave it. Oddly doens't diminish my desire to give it a try at some point.

X-Play goes by 5. How could they have given it a 6?

Around the Network

I've played it more since, and I'm beginning to find it more appealing.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Why look at Gamespot when you can go to Game Rankings, and find the total percent average of many reviews, including Gamespot? More opinions are stronger than one! Even so, Blue Gragon got dissed!

I'm honestly surprised by this, I am going to have to read these reviews now. I thought the game looked great from everything I saw before the reviews started coming out and I thought it would get around 7.5-8.5 range, but this is crazy.

To Each Man, Responsibility

It really comes to a matter of opinions, gamepro, game informer etc gave it a 4.75/5 and a 9/10 (above eternal sonota)

We all know jrpgs always come out like this, with high and low scores, though i hoped for a few more high scores, but blue dragon is still considered a good game

I like JRPG's alot but if a RPG doesn't have a great story and nothing new in gameplay its not worth full price. maybe down the road when its down to 40 or 30 bux I'd take a look but im not hyped at all about this game anymore. It was the first reason I got a 360 now Eternal Sonata is #1 for me. Lost Oddessy loses some cool point for blue dragons mis-steps. hopfully when we here a lil more on its story it can restore my faith in mistwalker.