By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Questions about the RRoD...

My 11 month old Elite just died. One of the reasons I got the Elite was that is was supposed to be fixed of the previous issues.

It is a little quieter! (HD installs help too)
DVD Drive has never scratched a disc!

But it died with one flashing red light and E74 error (graphics card/overheat) This is not full RROD that is covered by 3 year warranty. E74 is standard 1 year warranty!

My system has not been abused and is very well ventilated!

So I'm gutted that it died but I am covered by warranty.

Despite the PS3 being a much better built machine I have no current intention on getting one due to lack of games, only a couple really interest me and that's no enough to shell out £299.

Gears 2 (single/co-op campaign and Horde mode are fantastic)
Left 4 Dead
Halo 3
Fallout 3

My current favs, plus exclusive DLC and a great online experience!

Around the Network
Parasitic said:

Is it always free to get a 360 repaired? When they return it, do they send you a new or do they just repair yours? And what are the chances of it breaking down again once you've got it back?

It took me about 2 months to decide whether to get a 360 or PS3. I definitely wanted somethin that's not known for breaking down, scratching discs, and being loud. I went to Circuit City planning on buying a PS3. My choice wasn't exacly final and a random store employee was enough to make me get a 360 instead. Refunded it after about a month deciding that I really wanted a PS3.

Now it's been about 4 months since I've had my PS3, and I really hate to say this, but I'm gettin a tad bit bored already (all my owned games listed in the profile). MGS4 and KZ2 are the only two exclusives that interested me, but MGS4's SP can't keep me entertained forever, and I was extremely dissapointed to find out that KZ2's online just wasn't my thing (this game was one of the big reasons I bought a PS3). Besides those, some other exclusives ended up boring me.

Anyways, I've been thinking about gettin a 360, but I'm not sure yet. I just don't feel safe owning a console with so many hardware failures. I seriously wish MS could've made it much more reliable, it would've made my choice much easier to make. How common are RRoD's nowadays?

If I ever manage to get over it's issues, I'll then have to decide if it'll be worth it - I'd be getting it mainly for Halo3 and Gears2. I actually haven't even played Halo 3 but seems like most people I know have it, so I should probably try it out first and not repeat what I did with my PS3.

I dunno if it's the games, or just me. I had a Gamecube and enjoyed it for almost 2 years (SSBM was ridiculously fun). Sometime after that, I got a taste of PC gaming. Found out about modding, then PC eventually became my main gaming platform for many years. I sold the GC somewhere around that time. When I finally jumped back into console gaming, it felt abit like a downgrade. Of course, I still love not being stuck to my desk anymore (and not having to worry about system reqs). Splitscreen was another huge plus, but some PS3 have this bad habit of focusing so much on graphics that they end up losing splitscreen.

Besides the questions, yes, this is a minor rant.

=l

1) It's not 'always free' to repair RRoD. You get a 3 year warranty, in which, shipping and the cost of repair are totally free. Also, if it breaks down....2 years into the 3 year warranty, the warranty gets extended another 3 years from the date of repair. I have a launch Xbox 360 (November 22nd, 2005), and my warranty expires in late 2010. Otherwise, you have a standard 1-year warranty for other parts, and repairing the console outside of that is around $90.

2) Anymore, they try to get your original X360 back to you with a new mobo, but I can't say 'oh, you'll always get yours back'. I think I got my same 360 this last RROD (I've had 2 since launch), but it had a new mobo, AFAIK.

3) The chances of it RRoD-ing after getting repaired is very slim. Really, it comes down to what version of the 360 you get (not the Arcade/Pro, but the internals). If you go pick up a Falcon or Jasper, chances are, it won't RRoD. If it does for some incredible reason, a fixed one should be even more trustworthy. RRoDs, and the issues people have with them are almost entirely from old launch 360s, and the refurbs that came from them. The RRoDing 360's were made from November 2005 through August 2007. Anything after that (Falcon model or newer) has been vastly better in terms of reliability.

RRoDs, among newer models, are non-existant. The 360 has got a bad rap from the launch 360s, and not the newer models. I dare you to try to find a Jasper X360 that has RRoDed, because very few, if any, have. Falcons still have had some RRoD issues, but they were far more rare than the earlier models.

If you buy a X360, and get a Jasper model - it has a 65nm GPU and CPU (with a 150w power supply), your chances of getting an RRoD are nearly 0.

I know there are a lot of people that are hesitant about RRoD, but I can assure you that the problems are over. You have just as likely of a chance to break a X360 as you would a PS3 or Wii. My only suggestion is not to buy a refurb or a used one to ensure you get the newest model. If you pick one up, I'd highly suggest double checking for a 150w power supply, which ensures it's a Jasper 360. Those are the most reliable ones yet, as MS has made GREAT strides on reliability.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yup what mrstickball said is true. My X360 broke down in about 10 months of intense playing (that means almost every day). I called microsoft, and within a week I got a refurbished model which actually looked completely new. If i didn't know better i would've thought it was a new one.

If you buy a X360 now, you'll probably get the Jasper model and that one doesn't get the RROD so easily, and even if it does, you have a 3 year warranty for it. So it shouldn't be a problem, since you get another one within a week usually.

Truth does not fear investigation

Support the industry by getting multiple 360s. I've done it, so can you.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

tmbh said:
My 11 month old Elite just died. One of the reasons I got the Elite was that is was supposed to be fixed of the previous issues.

That was true only in 2007 when they launched, the elite had a newer revision. 

These days, elite move much slower than the pro/arcade so most elite are old revisions, fresher hardware pops up on the arcade/pro first.

That's why major nelson went on the record to say that the elite Resi 5 special edition is a jasper. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

I had a Pro, bought in September 2008.  It did not RROD, but it froze on on me 4 times.  I have a Best Buy replacement plan, so I sent it in before I gave it a chance to RROD and just got a new one last week.  I got an Arcade Jasper (got to keep my HDD from original Pro).  From what I read on it, it seems better than the older models, so I am hoping I get no problems this time around. I love my 360 though.  Gears of War is awesome, as is Left 4 Dead (exclusive for console), Forza 2, etc.  I was deciding between PS3 and 360 before I got my 360 as well.  I went the 360 route due to wanting to play some of the exclusives, and the cost was much better. So I am next gen for less money, worked for me!

Bitmap Frogs said:
tmbh said:

That was true only in 2007 when they launched, the elite had a newer revision. 

These days, elite move much slower than the pro/arcade so most elite are old revisions, fresher hardware pops up on the arcade/pro first.

That's why major nelson went on the record to say that the elite Resi 5 special edition is a jasper. 

Yeah bummer!  I waited till April 08 hoping it would be the newest model.

Will they repair my xbox or replace the duff parts or whole new machine?  Anyone go any insite?  Does microsoft tell you exactly what they have repaired or replaced?

I have made a note of serial numbers etc, but not sure how much that will help identify any repair work!

this probably isn't the best place to be figurig this out. These forums are pretty biased, either for or against. However, I will say I have had one of my 360's (I have 2) since launch, and my second one did RRoD on me, but I had a replacement plan from best buy so I just took it back and they replaced it for me:)

gergroy -

Yes, the forums are biased, but they are only biased depending on who's posting in the threads.

There are, and can be, lots of anti-360 people that will post negative and sometimes false info about RRoD occurrences, based on their friends, or heresay. The only way to really get good info about what happens are from people that:

1) Own a X360
2) Had it happened to them

There are plenty of X360 owners that have had their 360's RRoD. We used to have posts about them all the time last year, but as time has gone on, the number(s) have decreased significantly. No one on VGC has ever reported an RRoDed Jasper, and I don't believe anyone has posted a Falcon, either.

The best place for aggregate X360 RRoD info would be NeoGAF's master aggregate for failed X360s. They have detailed information of 1,300+ Xbox 360's that have died, and contain lots of info about makes and models that died.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

tmbh said:

Yeah bummer!  I waited till April 08 hoping it would be the newest model.

Will they repair my xbox or replace the duff parts or whole new machine?  Anyone go any insite?  Does microsoft tell you exactly what they have repaired or replaced?

I have made a note of serial numbers etc, but not sure how much that will help identify any repair work!

It's a matter of chance, tbh. The usual procedure is receiving a refurb - that's someone's elses broken and repaired unit. Sometimes they'll send you back your own, but that's not the norm.

They do not need nor require the hard disk drive, so just keep it and attach it to whatever they send you back.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).