By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MP3: a bit much?

I picked up the game two nights ago, and am about 1-2 hours into it (just got off the frigate and completed the first objective on-world). I'm struck by three things. First, the controls are amazing. Second, the walls and terrain look great. Third, the enemies look awful. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm on a decently-sized SDTV (mid-twenties to thirty inches diagonally, I think). The enemies just don't look clean. In many ways, it feels like OoT or Super Mario 64, where the system couldn't quite generate 3D objects cleanly, except with textures instead of polygons. It's almost like they've tried to pack in too much detail. Where the 360 can support it for something like Gears, it ends up a blurry mess on the Wii. The blue Phazon patches on pirates break up their outlines, and it's hard to tell that they're anything more than vaguely humanoid shapes that shoot you. So far I've seen small shapes (militia), small shapes with shoulder pads (armored militia), and slightly bigger shapes (full pirates). I've gotten second and third opinions from my girlfriend and my roommate, and both have, entirely unprompted, commented that the game doesn't look good (clarifying to blurry and not clean when asked). Does anybody else see this, and does anyone know why this is?

Around the Network

I've watched my apartment-mate play for a bit, and I didn't find that to be true. I thought it was quite pretty, and that the enemy models, while not great in terms of technicality (not getting into design), were a step up from the previous two games.

I'm really sorry, not trying to start a war. but I'm not seeing it.
(Playin' on a 30" Tube Phillips with 480p BTW... nothin' that impressive)

They aren't GoW level type enemies, but FAR superior to MP1&2.

Hmmm.
Well, as long as you're having fun with it.
Love dem space pirates.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

I'm playing the game on a 32" Sharp AQUOS HDTV, I don't agree. The game looks great. It is a testament to how much good art direction can do for a games graphics. The enemies are significantly more detailed than they were in MP and MP2. Just pop in either game and then pop in MP3, and you will see what I mean.

I've always found the Metroid Prime enemies hard to make out because they're such unusual designs. I can't speak for all of the enemies in Gears of War but the basic soldier types are fairly human in their design. You could just as easily call them white-skinned mutants.

Around the Network

Are you sure it isn't your TV? Have you played gears on your TV?

couchmonkey said:
I've always found the Metroid Prime enemies hard to make out because they're such unusual designs. I can't speak for all of the enemies in Gears of War but the basic soldier types are fairly human in their design. You could just as easily call them white-skinned mutants.

Agreed here. I've beaten MP1 almost twice now, and still have difficulty figuring out what the Space Pirates look like due to their freaky anatomy.

couchmonkey said:

The only enemies I couldn't figure out at first were the space pirates. I was expecting something more human lol.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers
Parokki said:
couchmonkey said:

Agreed here. I've beaten MP1 almost twice now, and still have difficulty figuring out what the Space Pirates look like due to their freaky anatomy.

Hey!! I thought of it first :'( lol /jk.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

The Space Pirates are the worst...the designs don't "read" well at all. It's one of the risks of making a humanoid alien with very inhuman features.