By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS Home = WOW. Sony is upping the ante.

Idunno. It looks like the best match-maker system I've seen so far. If it's "fluid" it's just gonna be awosome.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

stewacide said: PS Home will be a huge failure. These sort of avatar chat systems have been around for well over a decade and have always been crap. Second Life has a strong fanbase, but it also has a lot to offer this doesn't. PS Home looks too ambitious, complex, and unfocused for 95% of the userbase out there, but too confining for the 5% Second Life hardcore. Also Sony is just asking for all kinds of legal and PR trouble with this system: how long until some kid gets molested, someone starts a White Power room, someone says f*ck in the presence of Jack Thompson? Considering how vile Xbox Live is, and that's a system people pay for / can be banned from and MS is nominally policing it, how out-of-control will this free system be?!? On the upside Little Big Planet looks *VERY* cool, although it will totally miss its market on the PS3 (a la Viva Piniata)
I agree with this in every way. The whole concept of having an avatar and rooms, ect seems like a complex way to do menus that could accomplish the same thing fast, albeit not quite as pretty. Despite the fact that this is just like phantasy star universe, it seems as though they did just a bit too much and could end up being a big hassle and I definitely think most people will never toy with this since it's way too much.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

It looks great, and amazing, and I love the personal space with the trophy room. It gets me excited about owning a ps3. But to be honest I think alot of it will be deemed unessacary. I bought a game system to play games, when I do chat on my 360 I do it while I'm playing. For those of you who are not familiar a side window pops up I type a message send it and keep playing. If I have to leave the game to walk the virtual world to do it, well then I probably won't bother. There was software like this for windows too, it turned windows into a virtual house that you can decorate and put your shortcuts as pictures on the wall you can click on, I thought it was super cool for like two days then it just got annoying I wanted a fast easy access setup to just click on things, not walk down the hall and look up. So I don't know if this will be like that. I do like how Simsish it looks, and I hope publishers let you use your avatar in various games. Little Big Planet looks amazing too, I just hope you can play solo too, as I'm not big on coop

Kwaad said: linkthe2nd said: WRONG. You obviously haven't played enough MMORPG's either. You my friend make me wonder? I've played. UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy, Flyff. Have you played that many? Last time I checked. MMO's arent free. Unless they sell content. (like HOME will) Last time I checked. MMO's tend to be loaded with adventure and fun. Not just one giant community. Also, The houseing system in MMOs I've played have never been anything near as good as what HOME looks like to be. So... Yup. I guess your right. I've never played a MMO. Just, UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, Flyff, and a few others.
Flyff IS free. MS Talesweaver ROSE SP SEAL Lunia to name a few. They're all free. Research before conclusions please.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

stewacide said: PS Home will be a huge failure. These sort of avatar chat systems have been around for well over a decade and have always been crap. Second Life has a strong fanbase, but it also has a lot to offer this doesn't. PS Home looks too ambitious, complex, and unfocused for 95% of the userbase out there, but too confining for the 5% Second Life hardcore. Also Sony is just asking for all kinds of legal and PR trouble with this system: how long until some kid gets molested, someone starts a White Power room, someone says f*ck in the presence of Jack Thompson? Considering how vile Xbox Live is, and that's a system people pay for / can be banned from and MS is nominally policing it, how out-of-control will this free system be?!? On the upside Little Big Planet looks *VERY* cool, although it will totally miss its market on the PS3 (a la Viva Piniata) sieanr said: I agree with this in every way. The whole concept of having an avatar and rooms, ect seems like a complex way to do menus that could accomplish the same thing fast, albeit not quite as pretty. Despite the fact that this is just like phantasy star universe, it seems as though they did just a bit too much and could end up being a big hassle and I definitely think most people will never toy with this since it's way too much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/TaskGallery/ I just wanted to add that some times when a company trys to create a user interface that is more userfriendly they make it worse for the vast majority of users ...

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/TaskGallery/ I just wanted to add that some times when a company trys to create a user interface that is more userfriendly they make it worse for the vast majority of users ...
Haha, Bob was awful on so many levels Either way, I bet menus are 5x faster and easier to navigate. I'll remain very skeptical until I actually use it

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I don't have time to look or reply to any of this properly (too busy at work today :

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

linkthe2nd said: Flyff IS free. MS Talesweaver ROSE SP SEAL Lunia to name a few. They're all free. Research before conclusions please.
Last time I checked. MMO's arent free. Unless they sell content. (like HOME will)
Why dont you read my post before bashing me?

this system has massive potential... and hella yeah it looks god damn pretty (anyone else think that the water in there looks more awesome than real life water?) There are some major things that could cause problems though... why do the avatars have to be humans... couldn't they allow for more funky not so 'average' looking gaming avatars... why can't you make yourself a robot or a bot or something... that's just me, but I don't wanna walk around at slow ass human pace exploring this world. It's a very cool 'wank wank' feature I think. If it is functional and fast (as in you don't have to walk to your friends house u can just warp there) and it doesn't take 5 minutes to walk your character from one end of your trophy room to the other then it has more potential. OVERALL i think it may complicate things too much, the XBL menu and text system is quick and easy... It's cool, but I just have such a strong feeling of caution towards this thing.

sieanr said: Either way, I bet menus are 5x faster and easier to navigate. I'll remain very skeptical until I actually use it
Yeah, watching the video, it looked really fluid.