By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Goldeneye/Perfect Dark is STILL the best FPS ever!

Well, I think so. Anyone agree?

It`s hard for me to point out which one is better, so I have to go with both since the settings are completely different, but equal perfect.

The story is so-so, but I don`t care. The faboulous soundtrack (I`m still listening to it) and settings makes up for it. A bad story can be good with the right atmosphere. Example: Robert Rodriguez`s Planet Terror.

Gameplay is close to perfect.  It`s so damned precise. You move around realistic. Enemies AI is ok.

Difficulty is perfect. You can even set yer own difficulty level with some settings aquired after finishing the game on all difficulties. Anyone think they can fast-run through these games today would be in for a shock. Games tend to be easier unfortunately.

I can still play this game and have a tremendous good time alone or with someone, and most important; It`s still the only FPS game I really feel I`m hitting the enemies with bullets. How can I explain? It feels as the gun and bullets is there, and not separate places just pasted together with computer graphics. It`s like watching old horror movies without life-less computer graphics, but monsters made by human hands.

I really can`t think of any FPS games that`s better even in 2009. I`ve played alot Unreal 2004, but it`s the fast action that makes it good. You have to have extremly good reaction skills to be good (which I have...ahem).

And Call of Duty 4 is quite a precision shooter and really good online options, but story made me puke. That military setting is shait. Seems they didn`t bother doing a job for the single-player part. The controller is not good. It should be played with either mouse/keyboard or N64 controller. Yes, N64 controller is better for FPS.

I`ve even played halo 1. It was fun, but shooting baby screaming aliens with weapons made by tele-tubbies isn`t satisfying enough.

So still Goldeneye/Perfect Dark is the best FPS out there, in my opinion of course.  I could be more detailed, but I choose not to. I think I`ve made my main points.

(There are many good FPS games and I`ve played many of them, but better graphics don`t make better gameplay. Never will.)

By the way, I hope these games never ever never ever will be avaiable on xbox live. Seeing someone play these games with the...the.. that....controller would be a nightmare.

Thank you

Around the Network

i agree, loved perfect dark, but never played goldeneye...

Anyone else tired of the "XYZ was the best ever" threads yet? I know I am.

Goldeneye was great... except for Odd Job. I hate Odd Job.

opinion
Pronunciation [uh-pin-yuhn]
–noun                                   
1.     A belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2.     A personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Before sombody come in here screaming and shouting, please read the above^

:P But seriously, I think the fact that two N64 FPS can hold up to todays FPS's shows how truly special that they are :)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

maybe if you added "for the n64" at the end of your topic it would be true. However, fps games have far surpassed the likes of goldeneye/perfect dark and yes, they have made better controllers than the n64 controller as well. I for one don't like holding a brick in my hand.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Anyone else tired of the "XYZ was the best ever" threads yet? I know I am.

Goldeneye was great... except for Odd Job. I hate Odd Job.

Well, since I`m rather new to vgchartz I think I have the right to write about it. I might get tired too, but I want others opinions. Don`t read if you`re tired of it. It might even tire you more.

Agree, Oddjob was a bastard :)

Is this a joke?

gergroy said:
maybe if you added "for the n64" at the end of your topic it would be true. However, fps games have far surpassed the likes of goldeneye/perfect dark and yes, they have made better controllers than the n64 controller as well. I for one don't like holding a brick in my hand.

So what do you really prefer to hold in yer hand? :)

Part of me says I should never of sold my N64.

I played Perfect Dark a few days ago with friends... it is still amazingly fun.

That said, it is not the best FPS. First of all, PC's are made for the FPS, the wii comes in close second. The N64 controls just didn't lend themselves for truelly accurate aiming which is a major point in the gameplay department.

The graphics in Goldeneye have not aged well I'm afraid. This is not me totally going crazy on eye candy but yeah... sorry.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->