By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you represented the wealthy 1% of wage earners in the US

Considering the amount of government waste I'd want to spend the least amount of taxes possible since I feel I could better manage the money and help more American citizens than the government ever could.

Around the Network

Am I the only person who knows that taxes are a good thing? Where do you think the government gets the money to pay the cops/fire/everything else we need in this modern world. Taxes. Where do schools get their fundng? Taxes. Tax makes the world go round.

Sharky54 said:
Am I the only person who knows that taxes are a good thing? Where do you think the government gets the money to pay the cops/fire/everything else we need in this modern world. Taxes. Where do schools get their fundng? Taxes. Tax makes the world go round.

Taxes are also where a lot of wastefull extravegant spending goes... and policies that are worse then wastefull and actually end up hurting the people who pay for them.  Like Ethanol Subsidies.

Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:

Taxes are also where a lot of wastefull extravegant spending goes... and policies that are worse then wastefull and actually end up hurting the people who pay for them.  Like Ethanol Subsidies.

Most of the taxes we pay go to keeping the country moving in many ways. Know the streets with potholes? What pays to fix them? Etc etc. It is alot more you don't even think about.

Sharky54 said:
Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:

Most of the taxes we pay go to keeping the country moving in many ways. Know the streets with potholes? What pays to fix them? Etc etc. It is alot more you don't even think about.

I actually know where a lot of my money goes... and a lot of it goes to wasteful spending.  The potholes the police etc...

We vote on those seperatley via city levies.  Cut down the money and the government is forced to use it for responsible things.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:
Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:

I actually know where a lot of my money goes... and a lot of it goes to wasteful spending.  The potholes the police etc...

We vote on those seperatley via city levies.  Cut down the money and the government is forced to use it for responsible things.

Lets see if you think the police are a waste of money next time you are robbed at gun point. Lets see if fixing potholes are a waste of money when you fuck up your car. Lets see if hospitals are a waste of money when you gets hot during that robbery.(lots of hospitals get government aid too, did you know that? I bet not.) If you truly believe such things are useless, then you sir are fail. Move to africa and watch your women and children get raped because of the lack of police.

Sharky54 said:
Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:
Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:

Lets see if you think the police are a waste of money next time you are robbed at gun point. Lets see if fixing potholes are a waste of money when you fuck up your car. Lets see if hospitals are a waste of money when you gets hot during that robbery.(lots of hospitals get government aid too, did you know that? I bet not.) If you truly believe such things are useless, then you sir are fail. Move to africa and watch your women and children get raped because of the lack of police.

Who said they were wastes of money.

I'm saying a lot of what the government does spend it's money on are wastes.  Goofball.

For example layers opon layers of school administrators who do nothing.  Dozens and dozens of cops in suburbs who haven't had a recorded crime in decades vs cops in ares that actually need it.

Having 5 cops patrolling the local mall where the biggest crime lately is someone shouting penis is a waste of money.

Who are you to say they do nothing? I am sure plenty do nothing. But you can't say how many. I happen to know a few different cops from different cities around me(2 are NYC) They may not all see the same amount of crime and use as some other ones. But the moment you reduce those 5 cops(those are privately paid security guards BTW) to 2 you are gonna see more people committing crimes. The best way to protect the public is to watch them. I know this seems like much. But if there is more of a chance someone will get caught, there is less of a chance they will do it.

Sharky54 said:
Who are you to say they do nothing? I am sure plenty do nothing. But you can't say how many. I happen to know a few different cops from different cities around me(2 are NYC) They may not all see the same amount of crime and use as some other ones. But the moment you reduce those 5 cops(those are privately paid security guards BTW) to 2 you are gonna see more people committing crimes. The best way to protect the public is to watch them. I know this seems like much. But if there is more of a chance someone will get caught, there is less of a chance they will do it.

Nah, the best way to stop crime is to make sure people aren't in need and to clean up low level indicators of crime before they happen.

People don't commit crimes just because they feel like it.

They do it out of desperation, out of anger and because their location makes them feel less about the community. (if you ascribe to broken window theory, which people do for minor crimes such as graffitti but whether or not this extends to greater criems is unknown.)

Furthermore these are just examples of public waste.  There are tons everywhere and the waste often exceeds the budget of usefull things.  Other examples include no-bid contracts that are mroe expensive then they needed to be because ti was either easy or they were friends with a guy.

Kasz216 said:
Sharky54 said:

Nah, the best way to stop crime is to make sure people aren't in need and to clean up low level indicators of crime before they happen.

People don't commit crimes just because they feel like it.

They do it out of desperation, out of anger and because their location makes them feel less about the community. (if you ascribe to broken window theory, which people do for minor crimes such as graffitti but whether or not this extends to greater criems is unknown.)

So people buy drugs because they have no other choice? Oh okay I'm sorry, I thought they had a choice. Drugs control about 90% of the crime in the world. People rob for money for drugs, people kill over drugs, etc etc.