By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A personal investigation into the varying models of the PS3

No noticeable lag on 3 80gb with BC that I've played on so far.

Around the Network

Thank you Feylic!

4 - 60GB Launch Model - No lag
4 - 80GB Early/BC Model - No lag
2 - 40GB Recent Model - KZ2 lag/Warhawk & SFIV play differently than 60GB

I guess in hindsight I could have made this a poll :-S

There are some very important considerations here:

1. You must play the games on the same TV because different LCDs/CRTs have differing levels of 'lag' based on whether its upscaling, post processing, whether theres a game mode etc.

2. HDD speed doesn't factor into this IMO because you're running whats in main memory and thats the same between the systems.

3. The controllers and blu-tooth spec are important, that may be a source of the lag if they were changed in the controller or console. To test plug the controller into the USB and repeat the experiments, alse switch the controllers around between consoles.

Tease.

Sharky54 said:
Okay have fun bashing the PS3 while I go through every single post you have ever made and copy and paste every negative thing you have said about the PS3. We shall see if you are really a troll.

Fact of the matter is this. Nothing changed with the HDD. Killzone 2 doesn't even touch the HDD for loading the game or anything. You are completely off base. Like I say to other people who hate one system. Sell it and go play whatever system you enjoy more. From your sig its easy to tell that you are a 360 fan boy.

nobody is bashing the ps3 at all on this thread.  There are some very well documentated case's of this supposed lag (although I don't have any issues with it, I have a older 80gig that still has BC).  As far as what I can see in this thread, you are the only fan boy and troll on this thread. 

Squilliam said:

1. You must play the games on the same TV because different LCDs/CRTs have differing levels of 'lag' based on whether its upscaling, post processing, whether theres a game mode etc.

2. HDD speed doesn't factor into this IMO because you're running whats in main memory and thats the same between the systems.

3. The controllers and blu-tooth spec are important, that may be a source of the lag if they were changed in the controller or console. To test plug the controller into the USB and repeat the experiments, alse switch the controllers around between consoles.

Thank you squilliam, I'll update the main thread.  People can include this information too, such as your TV type and refresh rate, which contoller used and whether it was plugged in.  I'll try mine plugged in tonight and see what happens.

If you've already contributed, could you add this new information so I can update the data?  Thanks, everyone!

Around the Network

PS3 - 60GB PAL
HDD - 200GB @ 7200
TV - 19" LCD 1080p @ 60Hz

I don't get any lag whilst playing the game. Hmm seems weird that some of the newer PS3s could possibly be the reason behind the lag...

PSN: Gippon

Thank you Gippon. It is indeed strange, which is why I decided to get some more input. So far the only connection I have found is possibly to do with the 40GB model or newer. Still need more input though as most of you seem to have the older models.

The 40GB model is the uber cheap "We are totally desperate to get out of the crap hole we dug ourselves" model. So it may be they cheaped out on the blu-tooth controller on this model and switched it with one which had higher latency.

My specs:

60GB PS3
Killzone 2 running @ 720P on my Bravia 53" 1080P set with game mode on.
Original Sixaxis controller.
No latency that I am aware of.

Edit: Running HDMI and controller unplugged.

Tease.

not sure if this matters since i didn't experience any lag, but for what it's worth:

50" plasma - don't know any specific specs of the tv.
tried it with both sixaxis and dualshock controller.
bluetooth headset connected while using dualshock.

Squilliam said:

The LCD/CRT issue is a red herring, because the "lag" people are complaining about is primarily due to three things (all in Killzone 2):

1. The generous dead zone on the sticks.

2. The slow sampling rate from the controller which causes the ~1/15th frame delay between pulling the trigger and seeing the fire animation on screen as well as discarding abrupt flicks of the sticks completely.

3. The lack of aim assist (except for the L1/flashlight 'bug' on the shotgun, which will be patched out).

If these issues were actually caused by the interconnection of the console to the TV, they'd be present in a lot of things other than Killzone 2, yet nobody has ever noticed them before. Frankly, if it were indeed an issue, Guitar Hero and Rock Band would be unplayable with that kind of delay.

OP: I have a original BC launch 60Gb. Never had a problem with it. I don't perceive any non-responsiveness in anything I play, and that's included an overdose of Killzone 2, LBP, Fallout 3, GH: World Tour, and Warhawk over the past three to four months.