By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Makes It Hard To Develop For the PS3 On Purpose

http://games.slashdot.org/games/09/03/01/1522259.shtml

"CNet reports on a bizarre comment from Sony's Computer Entertainment CEO in response to complaints from developers on how hard it is to develop games for the Playstation 3. 'We don't provide the "easy to program for" console that (developers) want, because "easy to program for" means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?' Given that games heavily drive console sales, and the fact that the PS3 is already 8 million units behind the Xbox 360, I think making a developer's job harder is the last thing Sony needs."

Sony did it on purpose?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10173656-17.html

Around the Network

God Sony has such souless pr. It's like they intentionally try to piss off owners of their product.

this sounds like it is taken out of context.
I really don't know much about programming, but isn't it true that the more complicated the process is, the more complex the outcome?

For instance, the wii wand was difficult to program at first but without such complicated instructions, 1 to 1 integrated motion would have been impossible. I could be wrong but I remember a few companies saying that the wand programming took up a bulk of the budget.

edited for clarity

Its true. Kaz said it himself. SONY is Arrogant and pathetic. I hope they learnt their lesson from the failure that is the PS3(in respect to the PS1/2).

Already posted.

Around the Network

What Sony probably meant to say : "We believe that providing the most powerful hardware possible, that can continue to provide more and more impressive experiences throughout a generation, is more important that producing an easy to program architecture"

Personally, I disagree with that philosophy anyways ...

Unlike the early days of 3D games, most of the improvements from early generation games to late generation games comes from artists using the available resources more efficiently, not from a better understanding of hardware or datastructures/algorithms. Basically, back when the XBox 360 was brand new many developers might use 40,000 polygons to produce a car and after they have produced a few games they can get similar visual results from a car that only has 25,000 or 30,000 polygons ... This means that they can have more vehicles (or a more detailed environment), or devote the extra resources to better looking cars or effects in later games, which results in a better overall effect without tapping into greater hardware performance.

All an architecture like the PS3 provides is inconsitent results from various developers and unreliable performance in game ...

It might be fun for a hobbyist to try to get the maximum performance out of a peice of hardware for a short demo, but few professional developers want to do unpaid overtime because they can't get a consistent load balance across the SPEs which causes the framerate to tank when they're already 3 months behind schedule and they have a long list of critical bugs that need to be addressed.

Old and still stupid.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Old and already posted by someone a couple hours ago

old

Check out my game about moles ^

Pretty sure that's out of context. I would imagine that Sony was trying to merely say that they wanted to produce the most powerful hardware possible, even if it took devs a while to really harness it. The power was the point, not the difficulty in harnessing it.

I'm sure they would make it easy to harness, if it were that simple. Sony is merely stating that they felt that the extra power of the Cell CPU made it worth the trouble of implementation developers would need to go through.

Honestly, the PS2 was the same way. Its "slow" CPU was actually quite a bit faster than both the GameCube and the XBox, when it came to vector math, because it had two vector processors to assist it -- vector math being the fundamental basis for geometry transforms/3D rendering/animation/physics. The PS2's "growth" over time can, pretty much, be directly attributed to developers learning to harness those 2 vector units, after a few years.

Sony was merely trying to provide power to those willing to use it, and to those willing to make PS3 exclusives.