By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Warm Freezes laptop fan, CPU Overheats.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/virus-trojan-spyware-malware-worm,7129.html

Worm Freezes Laptop Fan, Overheats CPU

2:30 PM - February 28, 2009 by Ryan Lord
Source: Tom's Hardware US – Category : Miscellaneous 8 comments

Zoom

Typically, when we think of a computer worm, we immediately think of a normal, code-based virus. If only that were the case. One gentleman's computer had a real, live worm, crawl into his laptop and do some serious damage.

The folks at Telegraph.co.uk tell the story of Mike Taylor, who recently began having computer troubles related to his laptop's cooling fan.  When Mike attempted to investigate the problem through an IT repairman, the two came across perhaps one of the most effective worms we've seen to date.  An actual worm had made its way through the cooling vents of the laptop, and up to the fan where it caused a complete cooling failure.

The worm itself was found wrapped around the fan, and was then cooked by the heat.  The fan never recovered though, which led to Taylor's computer issues.  Taylor believes that it was his cats that may have brought the worm in, and subsequently caused it to seek shelter.  No matter how the worm actually gained entry, the story is certainly one that Taylor can look forward to telling for years to come.

Of course, now we're expecting virus coders to come out with a virus that does exactly this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i clicked the link to this story I was very confused. I'd never heard of an actual virus that could do this.. Then I read the story and it all made sense!

Pretty bad luck for the guy though :(

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
Around the Network

Bad luck indeed, but a good story none the less

Poor wormy...

poor guy ? poor worm !

Check out my game about moles ^

That thread title took my head and twisted it.

Funny story though.

Since when has being warm caused anything to freeze?!?!

Around the Network

Wow, thats impressive, like how the first computer bug was a moth caught in a relay.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Parokki said:
Since when has being warm caused anything to freeze?!?!

Im guessing they meant "Freezes Fan" as in the worm froze it - Ie made it stop spinning by jamming it.

Like if your computer freezes, it hasnt actually frozen, its just locked up and stopped.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64