By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 5 most over hyped games of this generation

Here is my list:

1. Killzone 2

2. Halo 3

3. MGS 4

4. GTA IV

5. Crysis

We all know these 5 games stand out as being over hyped so no need to go into any explanations.

The order could be mixed up but oh well these are the top 5 most hyped games of this generation.

Around the Network

If you like it or not, hype is good for the gaming industry.

...each and every one of these lived up to their hype.. well.. every one except GTA4.

Killzone 2 more hyped than Halo 3? I don't remember KZ2 having it's own soda, and being plastered over BK food, and being sold at midnight at 7 Eleven. My GS didn't even have a midnight launch of KZ2, but they did of H3.

So I'd say that KZ2 is fifth on the list of games there.

It's actually more like this

GTA IV
Halo 3
MGS4
Crysis
KZ2

Killzone 2 is more than overhyped, ok, we know it's a great and it will sell its millions but there's no need for 10 different threads a day about that game

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

GTA4 was the only one in that list that didn't live up to my hype.

Killzone 2 wasn't overhyped, the game is the best shooter ever by some margin.

Halo 3 is the most overhyped game ever.

Apart from its graphics, what exactly was overhyped about Killzone 2? Not that many people claimed it would have the best gameplay evah, only that it was a very good FPS, a claim it has lived up to.

I dunno - maybe we're using different definitions of 'overhyped'. People making a lot of threads and talking about it a lot isn't the same as 'overhype' for me - it just shows that people are excited for it, and want to talk about it.

I consider 'overhype' to be people blowing aspects of its out of proportion (such as claiming that Killzone 2's graphics are better than Crysis', for example, something that clearly isn't true).

And as I said, I don't think any aspect - other than the graphics - have really been overhyped.

If a game lives up to expectations then it is not over hyped, so I can not agree with your list. I would say a more realistic list would be;

-Lair
-Too Human
-Grand Theft Auto 4
-Haze
-Halo 3

All of those games were hyped massivly by their respective fanboys, and each of them failed to meet expectations.

Games like;

-Killzone 2
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Gears of War 1 & 2
-Little Big Planet
-Mass Effct

All lived up to the hype around them and in turn, they are not over hyped, but hyped on good merit.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I really only see GTAIV and Halo 3 as being over-hyped but everyone has their opinion.