By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will California legalize marijuana?

"What is the difference between Indica & Sativa" Indica and Sativa are both cannabis strains, indicias are more notably squatter with more crystals while Sativa is more elongated with its crystals kept in the core, Indicas are much more heavier than sativas. The high is more of a body stoned effect versus a more cerebral high from sativa. many feel that Indica is going to make them sleepier, while Sativa gets you UP ... indicias are easier to grow, sativas are tougher, but well worth it.

Around the Network

Heavy alcohol drinking causes cirrhosis of the liver, severe damage to your kidneys, can cause you to go into withdrawal, dehydrates your body, and can kill you.  Not to mention it drastically increases violent crime, rape, domestic abuse, and all other kinds of pleasant things.

Tobacco is responsible for all kinds of medical disorders in this country that people never would have had otherwise.  It has cost our healthcare system billions of dollars already, and will cost us billions more in the future.

Anyone who complains about side effects marijuana is ignoring the giant elephant in the room, that it is less dangerous than two of the drugs that have always been legal.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

wfz said:
BeTa77 said:
@wfz Pretty funny as people with Schizophrenia smoke Marijuana too help them.

Care to show any research that backs up your claim? I did a quick google search and found nothing.

Going with your logic though, you're saying you'd rather have the Schizophrenic population increase exponentially due to smoking marijuana, and then have all of these mentally messed up people smoke marijuana to help them not be paranoid all the time? That's gotta be one of the strangest ideas I've ever heard.

Theres NO proof that Marijuana causes Schizophrenia.

Just legalize it already!

you know if cali legalizes they'd see a huge increase in tourism too.

I kinda wish my state would hurry up and do this, since our economy is highly dependent on tourism.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
wfz said:
Well I've seen studies and research that have linked marijuana causing schizophrenia in people, mainly those who already have a biological disposition.

I don't know if legalizing marijuana will make more people smoke it, but I hope not. Schizophrenia is one of the worst things that can happen to someone. Almost twice as many Americans have Schizophrenia than Aids/HIV. For every Schizophrenic person, there are even more who share the biological disposition but never developed schizophrenia (like the family members). Marijuana would very much liken the chance that those individuals would develop Schizophrenia, and that is absolutely horrible in my mind. That is a LOT of people at risk for developing Schizophrenia, and that's a very serious condition to develop.

Who knows if marijuana has connections to anything else. That's not a risk I think I'd like to take. Even if it doesn't have any other relations, helping to cause Schizophrenia is horrible enough. Should something like that be legalized?

When a drug is legal, it's easier to find reliable information on it.  When drugs are illegal, the truth gets drowned out by "zomg it's the devil-weed" lies and "zomg it should be legal it can save the universe" lies.

People will have to know if their family has a history of schizophrenia, and realize that even if their family doesn't, there is a very small chance that trying a drug will be bad for them.  I think that all that information should be readily available, but that in the end, the choice to try it or not should be theirs alone and the government shouldn't stop them.  Telling people not to do drugs should be the job of friends and family, not the job of the government and paid for by nationwide taxes.

Rubang I always appreciate your posts, even if we are on the opposite end of an argument.

In your first paragraph, are you saying it's hard to come by the truth because extremists on both sides like to blow up the truth to put the other side down? I can agree with that, but there are definitely still reliable sources of information, even if they are alongside countless others that aren't reliable. It can be hard to find out what is and what isn't.

Schizophrenia is much more common than people realize. Part of the ignorance stems from Schizophrenia never really being focused on by our media.

While I agree that people should make their own choices in life, that doesn't mean that they are perfectly informed of the entire situation. If people want to smoke marijuana, fine, but they should really study and know everything that it can cause. Another big thing to consider is relationships with your family members, and how they might react to it.

There's a whole parallel topic about Scizophrenia that I'm a bit frustrated about. The masses really don't know anything about it, and it's totally misunderstood. Twice as many people will have Schizophrenia than Aids/HIV in America. In high school you'll get a bunch of speakers and even a health class that goes over all the STI's and Aids, but nothing is ever said of Scizophrenia. I could go on and on about this topic, but since it's a bit off topic I'm going to stop. The whole thing just really frustrates me though, partly because my sister has Schizophrenia and I've seen a lot of what Schizophrenia does and how it affects everyone's relationships and messes up lives.

(just grinded through a bunch of edits to clear my mistakes and whatnot) For some reason I have a way easier reading through my post after I actually post it. I'm amazed at how many mistakes I miss before making my post. :P

@wfz, Well I'm for legalization of just about everything, but I think that should come with the best education, very easily accessible information, and transparent government. I don't want to just legalize everything, and then tell people to fend for themselves in some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland.

More people should definitely know about schizophrenia, and people should research drugs as much as they can before they try them. Personally, I've never tried a drug without reading the whole internet first. But once the information is really easy to find, people should legally be allowed to ignore it and make bad decisions with their own body. I find it weird that I can legally cut off my own fingers but I can't legally eat/drink/smoke/inject certain things.

Also, when a drug is legalized, if somebody has a problem with it, we can help them instead of throwing them in jail for trying to have a good time.

And you're right; some people won't be able to handle it. But I don't think that should make it illegal for everybody else. I think we should take care of the people with problems instead of take away the freedoms of the people without problems.

But these are just my wacky ideas. Don't tell halogamer about them. He'll shit bricks.

I quit smoking weed. For me it was somewhat self-limiting, mainly because I became so lazy and mentally sloppy. It can be expansive and make the mind more capacious in some ways.

If I do partake it's either uppers or opiates.

From a constitutional perspective, California is 100% within it’s rights to legalize marijuana. The federal government disagrees and it will make it to the supreme court. It could be the biggest ruling since row vs wade if they uphold California’s legalization.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:

From a constitutional perspective, California is 100% within it’s rights to legalize marijuana. The federal government disagrees and it will make it to the supreme court. It could be the biggest ruling since row vs wade if they uphold California’s legalization.

Wow, me and Tyrannical actually agree on something!

Though technically the federal government can pre-empt a state law if it chooses.  And this would fit within the government's commerce clause power since it is highly unlikely that 100% of the marijuana would be grown within the state.

Little thing called the supremacy clause:

Article VI:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson