By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thigs just don't add up... (psp related)

Electro General said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
also, tons of people steal

Except new PSPs aren't hackable.

That was broken like a few weeks ago :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

I swear you have said the same thing before toastboy... or if not have at least been in one of the dozens of threads this has been explained.

The region: "Others" is missing a lot of data, and the older the system, and also the lower number of big sellers a system has, the higher the percentage of titles is missing data for the Others region.

The PSP is one of the oldest systems... which means some old games that may be still selling (albeit slowly, but together they will add up) will not be tracked... more importantly for weekly sales, and particularly for the PSP, is that ioi doesn't accuratly track much more than the top 100 weekly for the region, and because the PSP doesn't really sell software well, a big chunk of it's software is missing each week.

Give me a minute and I shal dig up a post I made estimating what the multipliers are for each system (I believe for total (not weekly) PSP software I have it being multiplied by 6-7 to get a rough estimate... while weekly figures are more like 3-4 times)

TWRoO said:
I swear you have said the same thing before toastboy... or if not have at least been in one of the dozens of threads this has been explained.

The region: "Others" is missing a lot of data, and the older the system, and also the lower number of big sellers a system has, the higher the percentage of titles is missing data for the Others region.

The PSP is one of the oldest systems... which means some old games that may be still selling (albeit slowly, but together they will add up) will not be tracked... more importantly for weekly sales, and particularly for the PSP, is that ioi doesn't accuratly track much more than the top 100 weekly for the region, and because the PSP doesn't really sell software well, a big chunk of it's software is missing each week.

Give me a minute and I shal dig up a post I made estimating what the multipliers are for each system (I believe for total (not weekly) PSP software I have it being multiplied by 6-7 to get a rough estimate... while weekly figures are more like 3-4 times)

then why do we have all the data for the ds? That is an even older system and we got all the data for it ;P

toastboy44562 said:
TWRoO said:

then why do we have all the data for the ds? That is an even older system and we got all the data for it ;P

We don't... first of all age is a relatively important factor when talking about what VGC shows as the total software... but is less of a factor for the weekly sales. Second of all, the more important factor is big selling games. The DS has a staple number of games that sell consistantly well week in week out so they are always included each week.... the PSP doesn't have many of these.

Here is something from a PM I sent to diomedes on the matter:

My rough estimate which has little basis really, but it helps to see the consoles better is to do this to total software.

PSP roughly multiplying what the current software total is by 6-7

360 and DS roughly double and add a bit to what the current software totals are. (about 7:1 ratio for X360 and 4.5:1 for DS) this puts the DS total in line with what Nintendo's shipment figures will be now

PS3 and Wii roughly multiply by 1.5 (PS3 ratio of 5.5:1, Wii ratio of 7:1 [6:1 without Wii Sports]) again this puts the Wii total in line with Nintendo shipments.

(Sony and MS don't break down shipments into region anymore so it's tough to compare to them)

In terms of weekly sales it's too tough to do multipliers because each week differs with games like Fifa coming out and such (so this week Wii would need more added than PS360, but other weeks like SSBB it wouldn't etc) PSP would again need the most added though, probably over doubling it's usual weekly sales (say 2.5 times)

The DS is also missing a lot of software in others... more in numbers than the PSP is missing, but the PSP is missing a much higher percentage.

lmao

Consumer: "I'd like to buy a PSP please"

Store Clerk: "Great! that will be $200. Would you like any games with that?"

Consumer: "No thanks, I'll be fine"

Owner of 360

Future owner of a PS3 (when it drops to $300)

Around the Network

Some useful software figures from Sony:

UMD software sales/ breakdown by territories (sell-in as of Dec 2008)

* WW: approx 200 million (197 million)
* SCEJ: approx 36 million
* SCEA: approx 81 million
* SCEE: approx 76 million
* SCEAsia: approx 4 million

Star Scream said:

end of story...

toastboy44562 said:
Star Scream said:

end of story...

It is worth noting they include UMD movie discs in those figures... although they probably don't account for more than a few million.

TWRoO said:
toastboy44562 said:
Star Scream said:

end of story...

It is worth noting they include UMD movie discs in those figures... although they probably don't account for more than a few million.

In addition that is shipped, not sold. 

As a note I'd say a good bit of UMD movies are sold, most of the business workers I see buying the thing especially wanting something to do on a flight will buy a few UMD movies, and it's a pretty common request so maybe that could carry on nationwide.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
TWRoO said:
toastboy44562 said:
Star Scream said:

end of story...

In addition that is shipped, not sold. 

As a note I'd say a good bit of UMD movies are sold, most of the business workers I see buying the thing especially wanting something to do on a flight will buy a few UMD movies, and it's a pretty common request so maybe that could carry on nationwide.

Well we can use Japan as a rough estimator... because Japan has a accurate portrayal of total software (ie it is close to Famitsu and Media-Create)

Japan actual game sales = 24 million (lowered slightly to account for the age of Sony's shipment data)
Sony UMD disc shipments = 36 million
difference = 12 million

I suppose we could assume about 8 million of the difference being UMD movies... and the rest unsold games on shelves.

-------

Applying that ratio to Americas doesn't seem to work as well... I guess Japan lkes UMD movies more than the West?

VGC americas = 61-62 million
Sony UMD shipments = 81 million
difference = 20 million

I guess first of all that VGC isn't quite as accurate in Americas as for Japan (it isn't for DS anw Wii totals) so we could bump up game sales to maybe 65 million..... then the remaining 16 million made up of 8 million UMD sales and 8 million unsold stock (Americas needs more stock, but buys fewer PSP movies?)

And take ratios roughly in the middle of that to make PAL sales, so of the 76 million about 55-60 million game sales.. the rest being unsold stock and movies.