By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How sony can win this gen...

FY* Sony**
1998 974,000,000
1999 1,130,000,000
2000 730,000,000
2001 -409,000,000
2002 623,000,000
2003 939,000,000
2004 650,000,000
2005 404,000,000
2006 75,000,000
2007 -1,969,000,000
2008 -1,265,000,000
2009 51,000,000
Totals 1,953,000,000

Isn't up to date but you get the gist of it.

Around the Network
ShadowSoldier said:
seece said:
ShadowSoldier said:
seece said:
Sharky54 said:
did nintendo die with their back to back "failure" consoles? Nope. So why do people think sony will lose its playstation brand because of one system not selling amazingly well? Isn't it already close to selling more units then the gamecube and xbox last gen? No matter what you say, the numbers are closer this gen then last. the leader isn't 80 million ahead.

Except the Gamecube made a profit, as did those other consoles, and the Playstation 3 has wiped out all the PS2 profits then some.

BIG difference.

Where the hell did you hear that Sony wiped out their PS2 profits? Do you even know how much they Made from PS2 software alone? Add in accessories and the actual 120M hardware Sales and I think it Would be close to impossible for them to wipe out all of that.

Now In response to the OP I think if they did all that within 2 years they could take the lead from the 360 but the Wii is untouchable unless Nintendo releases a game where you can play as a Pedophile call it : Michael Jackson's Jesus Juice

I can't be arsed to go fetch you the data, but I know what I'm saying is true. Search this site for it or find someone who might kindly show you ALL the profits Sony have made from when they first entered the market with the playstation.

It will tell you that all the money made in the PS2 era has been wiped out by the billions the PS3 has cost. and like I said .. and then some.

If you cant be "arsed" to go looking for the source or information on a post you claim then Im just going to say you were talking outta your ass.

Oh if only we could ignore all lifes problems unless someone came up with a "source"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/aug/19/ps3hascostsonymorethanit

radha said:
Sharky54 said:
did nintendo die with their back to back "failure" consoles? Nope. So why do people think sony will lose its playstation brand because of one system not selling amazingly well? Isn't it already close to selling more units then the gamecube and xbox last gen? No matter what you say, the numbers are closer this gen then last. the leader isn't 80 million ahead.

QFT, good points there

But Nintendo's "failures" were still profitable. As was the company as a whole. The PS3 is billions in the hole still, and the company is in the red.

That's not to say I think the Playstation brand will die, but from Nintendo's business model has always been safer, making the comparison apples to oranges.

ShadowSoldier said:
seece said:

I can't be arsed to go fetch you the data, but I know what I'm saying is true. Search this site for it or find someone who might kindly show you ALL the profits Sony have made from when they first entered the market with the playstation.

It will tell you that all the money made in the PS2 era has been wiped out by the billions the PS3 has cost. and like I said .. and then some.

If you cant be "arsed" to go looking for the source or information on a post you claim then Im just going to say you were talking outta your ass.

Even though I agree with ShadowSoldier on the point that all arguments based on data should in fact be backed up with data, Seece is right about this.

And I'm also way too lazy to go find the data.

What an interesting situation.

This is invisible text!

My opinion on the PS3 is sort of split in pieces.

I firmly believe that the PS3 has lost all possibilities to catch up to and overtake the Wii.

I myself prefer the Wii, due to it fitting my gaming tastes better.

I believe that the PS3 is a huge success, in that it has a lot of high quality games and is the best selling third place console of all time (or at least will be). It's also a solid piece of hardware.

I believe that Sony botched the job with the marketing of the PS3, basically from the beginning. They simply did not understand the market.

PS3 is currently a huge failiure for Sony financially, but it has some possibilities to turn that around towards the end of its lifetime.

I believe that if Sony handles its cards correctly (is that an actual english expression?) it still has an off chance of beating the Microsoft for second place this gen. If not, they're in for a world of hurt.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

If they could reach some kind of deal with Microsoft where MS takes the 360 and its games off the market for two years and one with Nintendo for them to take the Wii and its games off the market for five years, then Sony might have a chance to win this gen.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

sony can't "win"

PS3 will finish last this generation. PS3 has a slim chance of catching and overtaking X360 this generation. Wii can no longer be caught by either X360 or PS3. Wii will outsell PS3 and X360 combined.

c0rd said:
JoHnNyFr3sC0 said:
I think Sony is doing just fine right now....

Psp Sales are not bad at all about 50 Million...While not as good as the DS they have put a dent on their sells and has become a competitor for Nintendo...

After all these years Nintendo finally has competition in the handheld market...

The Ps3 is doing just fine at the price it is...I think Sony rather come in 3rd place than start losing major amounts of money if they drop the price to $300...it is only being outsold by the way cheaper 360 by 50000 units a week...If they do decide to drop the price that number will decrease if not dissapear in total

People often make these statements, I wonder about it. Do people think the DS would be at 37mil in Japan if the PSP never came out? Perhaps it would have sold lots more, it's hard to tell. However, the DS is soon going to be the best selling system ever, completely demolishing their previous handheld (GBA), and outpacing even the PS2 by quite a bit. It's hard to imagine the thing selling that much more - I think claims of the PSP hurting the DS only compliments Nintendo even further...

OT: Sony is in no position to gun for first place - nobody is catching Nintendo, it's pointless to try. To "win" they need to focus on making as much money as they can this gen, so they can release another console. Massive pricecuts would be working against this.

I have to agree with this, it doesn't seem PSP sales affect the Ds sales as much, So when people say nintendo have never faced such competition before, it really does not compute. But to be fair it seems both handhelds complement each other (ok well a little bit)

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

seece said:
FY* Sony**
1998 974,000,000
1999 1,130,000,000
2000 730,000,000
2001 -409,000,000
2002 623,000,000
2003 939,000,000
2004 650,000,000
2005 404,000,000
2006 75,000,000
2007 -1,969,000,000
2008 -1,265,000,000
2009 51,000,000
Totals 1,953,000,000

Isn't up to date but you get the gist of it.

If your math is right the playstation brand is still almost 2 billion dollars total profit. Thats not great? And Now they make money on every PS3 sold. No doubt they made some mistakes. But to say they are dead? Granted they did use up over 3 billion dollars the first 2 years.But hey look already 51 million for 2009. You proved my point. They wont die.