By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - John Carmack to develop for Wii

In terms of raw technical prowess, John Carmack may be one of the best video game programmers of all time (note the emphasis and wording; I'm talking about something very specific here). I'm not a fan of most of his games, and I'm certainly no fan of his philosophy on gaming, but there's no way around respecting the man's skills. If the Wii has finally piqued his interest, it can only mean something big.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Do you guys think its possible that his newfound interest is due to Motion+?

Michael Abrash is a god, largely responsible for the graphical prowess of iD's early games, and also for a large portion of modern DirectX concepts. John Carmack is his buddy, who isn't half bad as a programmer himself.

Get it right, guys.  Carmack is tall because... shoulders of giants.  Okay okay, he knows some stuff too.

"I wouldn't get to happy after hearing him say that. Sounds like Let's Tap 2 to me."

I hope so, can't wait for the first game to hit Aus

Anyway, good to hear it. I hope he tries to push the Wii hardware as far as he can

routsounmanman said:
*Shocked*

I'm not very hyped, although I'm curious as to what a technological mastermind like him can achieve on the Wii. If anything, I'd rather have him develop a Wii engine and then sell it to the incompetent 3rd parties...

There are already enough game engines for the Wii. Third parties have not purchased them because they can use the engine that they developed for the PS2. It saves them money and they make a profit on the shovelware they release. Not a lot of money but some is better than none. Dead Rising: Chop til you drop is the lates offense. Capcom should be ashamed of themselves. It's hard to believe that they are developing a beautiful game like Monster Hunter 3.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network

best news for wii in a while :)

very excited to see what he can do

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Wolfenstein for Wii please

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

A port or remix of Doom 3 would be cool.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Commander Keen confirmed!

routsounmanman said:
*Shocked*

I'm not very hyped, although I'm curious as to what a technological mastermind like him can achieve on the Wii. If anything, I'd rather have him develop a Wii engine and then sell it to the incompetent 3rd parties...

Considering what he's achieved on far weaker hardware than the Wii, I think it's safe to assume we'll see something amazing.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.