By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 CPU and Cell are fairly equal according to Dave Shippy

largedarryl said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

The reality of it is that Killzone 2 "trounces" ALL games before it except Crysis.  KZ2 "trounces" Crysis in SOME areas (animations, character models, characters on screen, gun models, particle physics, 7.1 discrete audio, etc) but is close in other areas and gets beat in other areas

What are you smoking?  Have you ever played Crysis or seen it in motion.  I agree Killzone 2 looks amazing, but don't go making wild acusations about its actual abilities.

Yes, I have seen it in motion.  I'm not making "wild acusations" about  this at all.  It's all pretty well documented.  You just need to take the time out of your day to read and understand these things.

Around the Network

so ya the chips are fairly equal, I completely agree, but 3 cores versus 7(or 6,they say one is turned off). Ps3 defiantly more powerful. problem is coding.

Still waiting on a New Road Rash and Legend of Dragoon 2...

PS3 Trophies

klarklar said:
so ya the chips are fairly equal, I completely agree, but 3 cores versus 7(or 6,they say one is turned off). Ps3 defiantly more powerful. problem is coding.

Again, the CELL processor in the PS3 only has a single core.

Fishie said:
klarklar said:

The Heineken they serve in Europe must be a lot stronger than the stuff they export...

Define "core" for us, Fishie, because if you believe what you're saying, you must have a pretty radical new idea that I would love to hear.

Fishie said:
klarklar said:

Dr. H. Peter Hofstee, Cell Chief Scientist and Cell Synergistic Processor Chief Architect ...

SAY'S the Cell Processor's SPE's are Cores

unless you are saying he's wrong

so that's now: 2 people from VGchartz that are saying the "Cell Chief Scientist" is wrong

Cueil

Fishie

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Fishie said:
klarklar said:

Dr. H. Peter Hofstee, Cell Chief Scientist and Cell Synergistic Processor Chief Architect ...

so that's now: 2 people from VGchartz that are saying the "Cell Chief Scientist" is wrong

Cueil

Fishie

The good Dr. is also making a sales pitch...but I do think it is multi-core, just not in a manner we are accustome to seeing it...ie...independent.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
joeorc said:
Fishie said:
klarklar said:

Cueil

Fishie

The good Dr. is also making a sales pitch...but I do think it is multi-core, just not in a manner we are accustome to seeing it...ie...independent.

Dr. Hofstee was making a sales pitch by telling the people what his creation is?  BTW, the SPEs are "independent".  Maybe you mean it's not in the manner you are accustom to seeing independent cores (i.e. not traditional identical CPU cores).

Procrastinato said:
Fishie said:
klarklar said:

The Heineken they serve in Europe must be a lot stronger than the stuff they export...

Define "core" for us, Fishie, because if you believe what you're saying, you must have a pretty radical new idea that I would love to hear.

Yeah and tires are engines.

Or if you want to be anal about it, alternators on a car that ofset secondary functions on a car are engines(like powering your car stereo, air conditionng ecetera).

Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:
Fishie said:
klarklar said:

Cueil

Fishie

Dr. Hofstee was making a sales pitch by telling the people what his creation is?  BTW, the SPEs are "independent".  Maybe you mean it's not in the manner you are accustom to seeing independent cores (i.e. not traditional identical CPU cores).

yup they are:

From IBM's :

"The most distinguishing feature of the Cell Broadband Engine is that although all processors share main storage (the effective-address space that includes main memory), their function is specialized into two types -- the Power Processor Element (PPE) and the Synergistic Processor Element (SPE). The Cell Broadband Engine has one PPE and eight SPEs.

• The first type of processor, the PPE, is a 64-bit Power Architecture core. It is fully compliant with the 64-bit Power Architecture specification and can run 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems and applications.
  • The second type of processor, the SPE, is optimized for running compute-intensive applications, and it is not optimized for running an operating system.

The SPEs are independent processors, each running its own individual application programs. Each SPE has full access to coherent shared memory, including the memory-mapped I/O space. The designation synergistic for this processor was chosen carefully -- there is a mutual dependence between the PPE and the SPEs. The combination of the two working in harmony produces a greater effect than each working alone. The SPEs depend on the PPE to run the operating system and, in many cases, the top-level control thread of an application. The PPE depends on the SPEs to provide the bulk of the application performance. "

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Fishie said:
Procrastinato said:
Fishie said:
klarklar said:

Yeah and tires are engines.

Or if you want to be anal about it, alternators on a car that ofset secondary functions on a car are engines(like powering your car stereo, air conditionng ecetera).

Or that the HUMAN BODY is an organic "computer" so what

From IBM's:

The SPEs are independent processors, each running its own individual application programs. Each SPE has full access to coherent shared memory, including the memory-mapped I/O space. The designation synergistic for this processor was chosen carefully -- there is a mutual dependence between the PPE and the SPEs. The combination of the two working in harmony produces a greater effect than each working alone. The SPEs depend on the PPE to run the operating system and, in many cases, the top-level control thread of an application. The PPE depends on the SPEs to provide the bulk of the application performance. "

IBM say's the SPE's are Core's you can choose to say it's anal all you want it does not mean your RIGHT in your OPINION , it does not change the FACT they are what they are

AND THE FACT'S ARE

SPE's are in fact core's and each SPE run's at 3.2 GHz

I AM BOLO

ps: