By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Scores of Zimbabwe farms 'seized'

Scores of Zimbabwe farms 'seized'

There are said to be about 400 white-owned farms left in Zimbabwe

Scores of white-owned farms in Zimbabwe have been invaded since the country's national unity government took office, a union chief has told the BBC.

Commercial Farmers Union President Trevor Gifford said 77 properties had been occupied in the last fortnight.

MPs, police, the military and Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe officials had taken part in the invasions, he said.

Many of the farmers targeted recently mounted a successful legal challenge to government land reforms, he added.

The BBC attempted to contact a number of officials from President Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF party - including the ministers of agriculture and lands - but no-one was available to comment on the farmers' union claims.

Attempts to contact the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), whose leader Morgan Tsvangirai was sworn in as prime minister earlier this month, were also unsuccessful.

The Southern African Development Community (Sadc) Tribunal ruled in November the Zimbabwe government's programme of seizing white-owned property for redistribution to landless black farmers was discriminatory and illegal.

The government said at the time that it would not comply with the ruling.

'Ethnic cleansing'

The power-sharing deal between Zanu-PF and the MDC was eventually agreed after disputed elections and months of talks, during which the economy slid into a deepening crisis.

Mr Gifford told the BBC News website the recent spate of invasions was focused on the provinces of Mashonaland Central, Mashonaland West, Masvingo and Midlands.

The CFU president blamed the invasions on a minority of figures close to Zanu-PF who were "using their offices to ensure ethnic cleansing can take place before the prime minister is able to stabilise the country".

"This is being led by members of the old regime in Zanu-PF who are not willing to see the transition take place to a new unity government," Mr Gifford added.

"Zimbabwe is facing a severe food crisis and we're in the midst of the agricultural season so the impact of this will worsen the catastrophe."

More than half Zimbabwe's population is in need of food aid and inflation - estimated by some economists at 10 sextillion per cent - has left its currency almost worthless.

Mr Gifford said there were about 400 functioning white-owned farms left in Zimbabwe.

Meanwhile, Roy Bennett - the MDC's nominee for deputy agricultural minister - faces a bail hearing on Tuesday after he was arrested this month accused of terrorism on charges his supporters say are trumped-up.

Around the Network

Nice to see that they're continueing the policy that lead Zimbabwe from being the "Bread Basket of Africa" to a nation with famine and an economic crisis.

Not that the black farmers don't have a beef with these white owners who got their land through privelage.  But taking land away when the poorer farmers don't know how to handle group farms and are going to create small personal farms that don't produce as much...

It just leads to what we have now.

Well that and most land seized by the Zanu PF ends up in the hands of the Zanu PF.

The problem is not the continuation of sorely needed land reform. The problem is the widespread corruption and mismanagement that has plagued Zimbabwe. For example, the UK provided Zimbabwe with approximately 40 billion pounds for the initial acquisition of white-owned land. Unfortunately, much of that money went to political cronies and towards the purchase of land that was of a poor quality. Still, the precipitous decrease in agricultural output did not begin until 2000...when Mugabe unleashed his war veterans and began a "fast track" reform. I have been discussing this very issue with my friend and graduate assistant Assan (he is from The Gambia). Mugabe has been nothing but a disaster for Zimbabwe. The only positive to result from this situation is that Namibia and other African governments are now aware how NOT to implement land reform.

Jackson50 said:
The problem is not the continuation of sorely needed land reform. The problem is the widespread corruption and mismanagement that has plagued Zimbabwe. For example, the UK provided Zimbabwe with approximately 40 billion pounds for the initial acquisition of white-owned land. Unfortunately, much of that money went to political cronies and towards the purchase of land that was of a poor quality. Still, the precipitous decrease in agricultural output did not begin until 2000...when Mugabe unleashed his war veterans and began a "fast track" reform. I have been discussing this very issue with my friend and graduate assistant Assan (he is from The Gambia). Mugabe has been nothing but a disaster for Zimbabwe. The only positive to result from this situation is that Namibia and other African governments are now aware how NOT to implement land reform.

I don't disagree with you at all really.  Outside the fact that i think that "fast track" reform would reduce production even without corruption because it is too fast and not making sure everything is set up in advance.

Kasz216 said:I don't disagree with you at all really.  Outside the fact that i think that "fast track" reform would reduce production even without corruption because it is too fast and not making sure everything is set up in advance. 

"Fast track" is an intrinsically corrupt concept that was developed by Mugabe to mollify the masses; of course it would reduce production. Like I said in my previous post, this shows other nations attempting land reform (Namibia and South Africa) how not to implement it. Haha, that should be common sense: do not emulate the policies of Robert Mugabe!

Around the Network

Zimbabwe went from white rule to mob rule. At least the British could keep the populace fed.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Uh, why can't we just go over and kill Robert Mugabe? The guy deserves it with zanu-PF and causing millions of people to suffer from starvation.

^ There are a few reasons why it would be imprudent to assassinate Mugabe. First, he is 85 years old. He does not have many years left. Second, I am sure you are aware of the popular adage: it is better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you do not know. If and when Mugabe can no longer act as president, the leadership vacuum could destroy the nation. There are many powerful factions (Mnangagwa, the Mujurus, etc.) vying to succeed Mugabe. The recent power-sharing deal is the only glimmer of hope for the future of Zimbabwe; but anyone who follows African affairs, especially Zimbabwean affairs, can attest that the prospects of success for such deals are low.

Jackson50 said:
^ There are a few reasons why it would be imprudent to assassinate Mugabe. First, he is 85 years old. He does not have many years left. Second, I am sure you are aware of the popular adage: it is better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you do not know. If and when Mugabe can no longer act as president, the leadership vacuum could destroy the nation. There are many powerful factions (Mnangagwa, the Mujurus, etc.) vying to succeed Mugabe. The recent power-sharing deal is the only glimmer of hope for the future of Zimbabwe; but anyone who follows African affairs, especially Zimbabwean affairs, can attest that the prospects of success for such deals are low.

How does one follow African affairs anyway?  I want too... but i can never find anywhere that gives me consistant reporting on what's going on and what isn't.  Just talk of a problem... then silence... forever.

Kasz216 said:
Jackson50 said:

How does one follow African affairs anyway? I want too... but i can never find anywhere that gives me consistant reporting on what's going on and what isn't. Just talk of a problem... then silence... forever.

As you described, that is a problem regarding Africa. There is (occasionally) tepid interest in the initial story, but there is little interest and therefore coverage beyond that. Anyway, I (thanks to Assan and Bala) have discovered that both AllAfrica and Silobreaker have a comprehensive and consistent list of news regarding Africa. There is some overlap between the two, but if you follow both of them, you should remain abreast of the issues. Also, I recommend following SAIIA's website.