By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Super Mario Galaxy was the first game in the series…

the game wouldn't make as much sense then. we would probably find the enemies completely childish and moronic, and all of the hidden fan service would go unnoticed.

i doubt most reviewers would still have given this game the same amount of praise. although, the musical score will increase ten-fold.

it depends on how you look at it. i honestly think it wouldn't have sold as much.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

Around the Network
Griffin said:
Roma said:
Khuutra said:
Griffin said:

You all know its the truth, stop trying to fool yourselves, the game had motion controls which never worked, added with a camera angle that was horrible to say the least, the camera never went where it was needed and always did its own thing.

What a silly string of things to say. What motion controls are you referring to?

It seams he left to check if there was any moves made by motion :P

When you needed to spin to kill people, it never worked and was almost impossible to judge the distance people were from you so you need to spin the thing like 5times for each person just so you hit them.  And due to the horrible camera it made it impossible to judge where you were going to land when you tried to jump on people, so you were forced to do the spin attack.

You were really bad at this game, I take it.

I think the only possibility to look at this question without having too much logical flaws is to assume that Mario and Nintendo existed exactly like they do, but this game wouldn't have been Super Mario Galaxy but would have a new character starring.

I think the game would have sold very decent too if that would have been the case, somewhere between 3 and 5 million which would be awesome for a new franchise.

If the game came from a third party publisher though it probably would have struggled to reach the million because it would have been the "platformer Okami" then.

People know what to expect from Nintendo, so they rather buy new IP's from Big N instead of new IP's from third parties.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Griffin said:
Roma said:
Khuutra said:
Griffin said:

You all know its the truth, stop trying to fool yourselves, the game had motion controls which never worked, added with a camera angle that was horrible to say the least, the camera never went where it was needed and always did its own thing.

What a silly string of things to say. What motion controls are you referring to?

When you needed to spin to kill people, it never worked and was almost impossible to judge the distance people were from you so you need to spin the thing like 5times for each person just so you hit them.  And due to the horrible camera it made it impossible to judge where you were going to land when you tried to jump on people, so you were forced to do the spin attack.

er.. you found it hard to spin attack?

Griffin probably didn't realise that you had to wait a little while beetween spin attacks...

Around the Network
Griffin said:
Roma said:
Khuutra said:
Griffin said:

Thats like saying counter strike source sucks because your bullets always miss the other people.

Havent you stopped and thought that, since you seem to be the only person with these issues, you might just suck at the game? The controls and camera a fine.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

^ CSS does suck to a degree though :P

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

i'm kinda thinking that if there was no mario, that platformers might be more popular today. if there was no mario, there would be no sonic, and there wouldn't be much in the way of platforming goodness in the early years. they wouldn't get the chance to overflow the market with platformers, and it would take longer to get unique ideas out of platforming. people wouldn't get so bored of platforming games so quickly because they wouldn't have much of a chance to. i think that the platforming phenomanon would not be as big, but it would last longer, perhaps even to now.

what do you guys think of my little theory?

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Tough question. Well I agree with whoever said the wii woudn't exist without mario but hypothetically, I think it wouldn't sell that great. Maybe a million.

It would still be a great game, but the idea of a plumber in outer space jumping on enemies to save a princess would sound pretty ridiculous. And the name Mario would mean nothing to people.

Also I should mention if it was the first in the series no way it would score a 97 on Metacritic, it would get way lower even though its the same game.

Owner of 360

Future owner of a PS3 (when it drops to $300)

So before mario came along Nintendo was a dying company? How would there not be any core games from nintendo if mario did not exist. By the logic some of you are using we would be playing board games if nintendo never came out with Mario.