By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I'm a Killzone 2 fan but I gotta admit , it was a waste of good graphics.

Am I the only person alive that likes both gritty and clean color palettes?

Killzone 2 ftw! Super Mario Galaxy ftw!

Around the Network

You aren't. Personally the argument that a darker limited colour palette is artistically inferior is really a juvenile argument. As always it comes down to ones application of said colour palette and art style.

I mean sin city has an amazing artstyle and it relies largely on high contrast black and white imagery with the odd colour added in for emphasis.

Heres a question to consider. Would killzone 2's graphics fidelity be possible with a brighter and more varied colour palette? Maybe they were limited technically. But thats pure speculation, I'm no games designer.

FaRmLaNd said:
You aren't. Personally the argument that a darker limited colour palette is artistically inferior is really a juvenile argument. As always it comes down to ones application of said colour palette and art style.

I mean sin city has an amazing artstyle and it relies largely on high contrast black and white imagery with the odd colour added in for emphasis.

Heres a question to consider. Would killzone 2's graphics fidelity be possible with a brighter and more varied colour palette? Maybe they were limited technically. But thats pure speculation, I'm no games designer.

I agree but I never said a limited colour palette was artistacally inferior .

"amazing enviroments not neccaserily colourful but interesting at least , from what i've seen and played in the demo Killzone 2 isn' that."

Killzone 2's application of limited colour pallete just isn't anything incredibly interesting , if the final product shows alot more diversity in terms of colour then that's great but that alone wouldn't make it anything special to look at.

I hope i'll be proveng wrong , it's not like I enjoy criticising my most anticipated game but I tend to  scrutinise games I like more to avoid being biased and fanboyish.

Why would a war based game have a colorful environment? imagine playing a horror game with flowers and butterflies and healthy looking trees with bright sun light(aka uncharted) in it's environment it would wreck the mood of the game.

XxXProphecyXxX said:
Why would a war based game have a colorful environment? imagine playing a horror game with flowers and butterflies and healthy looking trees with bright sun light(aka uncharted) in it's environment it would wreck the mood of the game.

I'm almost 100% certain you didn't read the original post in which case I won't bother saying anything to you but the bolded.

Around the Network

Are you kidding me? Why do we need another thread for this?!

Your entire point is this: you don't like the art direction.

Well, sorry, play all the other games that have brighter art direction. wait for Uncharted 2 or God of War. Gran Turismo 5 or Final Fantasy 13. Why make another thread to say you don't like the art direction? Geez...

Edit:  the prime game for a system (if that's even what KZ2 ends up being) can't be the art direction for everyone.  Halo is too cartoony for some people, but that's what the developer went with.   Gears was the graphical example for 360 and all of HD for awhile and yet didn't have a lot of variation in the color scheme.

I'm neither here nor there as I haven't played the game. And I wasn't saying you thought that way, if I did I would have referred to you directly. But there are a lot of people that think that and everytime someone says it I die a little bit inside.

But yeah, I just wanted to interject some artistic perspective into the thread before people decided to jump onto the more colour = better argument. Which in my mind is as silly as the higher resolution the image the better argument.

Then skip killzone if it's too messy for you. Stick with Uncharted and wait for Uncharted 2. :D

wait till the real game...not the demo

Honestly, its just another generic shooters. They all use graphics to make people buy them until the next good graphic generic shooter comes.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS