By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Questions about Console sales

Ok my question really goes out to a system at launch. I'm going to describe how a console launches and then I'm going to ask the question. Ok, Xbox 360 launches Microsoft has some good first-party titles out and also some third-party games out too. As the console progress threw the months third-parties start to support the system because the console sales are rising. Ok then the PS3 launches and it has some sub-par games but really some good ones. And the sales for that console are slow to reach higher expectations for third-parties. Then we have fans of the system say "Just wait for the games to come out for the system in the coming months". Really developers don't want to make games on a system that has really low sales with the other to with higher sales and they know they won't return profit because of the sales of the PS3. My question really regards to who responiblity is it for to increase sales for the hardware. Is it Sony's or the third parties?? This isn't flame bait but a question. I hope its not confusing.

Around the Network
Takashii said:
Ok my question really goes out to a system at launch. I'm going to describe how a console launches and then I'm going to ask the question. Ok, Xbox 360 launches Microsoft has some good first-party titles out and also some third-party games out too. As the console progress threw the months third-parties start to support the system because the console sales are rising. Ok then the PS3 launches and it has some sub-par games but really some good ones. And the sales for that console are slow to reach higher expectations for third-parties. Then we have fans of the system say "Just wait for the games to come out for the system in the coming months". Really developers don't want to make games on a system that has really low sales with the other to with higher sales and they know they won't return profit because of the sales of the PS3. My question really regards to who responiblity is it for to increase sales for the hardware. Is it Sony's or the third parties?? This isn't flame bait but a question. I hope its not confusing.

let me ask you this question do you think that 3rd party games will sale on a system that came out a year later than what they came out on another system?? do you also think that those games will sell consoles since they are already available on another console?? which the other console probably has the better version.. i think not.. but who the hell am i ya know..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

traditionally at release most consoles have 1 maybe 2 must have games.

the ps3 didn't have that, combined with the high price made the ps3 a relative failure sales wise

system has a killer app=system sales=more dev support= more games=more sales...

right now the system that has the sales is the wii...because it has a killer app-soon to be more than one.

Hardware sales are entirely the responsibility of the console manufacturer ...

Game publishers buy development kits and pay a licencing fee to have access to the hardware in order to sell their games to the console's userbase; in terms of the publishers, the product that Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are producing with their game consoles is a large userbase which can support game development. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo heavily market their userbases begining far before a console is released in order to attract publishers ... If they fail to deliver on the promised userbase a third party publisher should/will look to another platform to deliver their product to.

To answer your question directly, it is the responsibility of parent company or in this case Sony to increase the install base. The way they do that is to entice 3rd parties with deals. So no the 3rd part companies shouldn't just throw money at the PS3 unless they are getting a good deal from Sony for their support and the same is true of ANY console trying to increase install base.

A console like the PS2 had carry over and was quickly backed up by strong sales so Sony had no need to provide a lot of incentive. I think they were caught of guard a bit with the PS3 as they expected carry over and big sales and weren't planning on needing to provide incentives for 3rd parties since they felt they wouldn't need them. The delay they had in getting those incentives out and garnering 3rd part support has cost them dearly as MS was ready to snatch up that support in addition to their year head start.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

it's sony's...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

The wii never had any must have games except wii sports, that and the cheap price is what sold the system. The PS3 has way more and better games then the wii so far in the lifespan.

The wii is a joke anyways, it sold on its cheap price and the hype of wii sports, nothing else.

Sony will win this gen, Nintendo does not care about third parties at all, aslong as Mario sells they don't care, they offer no support to third parties and will not help any game company with the system. This way Nintendo can continue to have the best looking games on the system and no one can compete.

This will kill the wii as soon as the hype dies down, third parties hate Nintendo for what they have done over the last 10 years.

@lenardo

People consider resistance fall of man a must have game.

At ballsonyourchin

People consider zelda a must have game on the wii. Please dont get banned.

mM

I think the complete opposite of what ballsonyourchin said.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

@leo-j,

Why would you want a troll to NOT get banned?
Actually, the way he worded that entire statement, he reminds me of PS3Owner.
It probably IS him.

I'll go with what Sqrl said.