By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vote here for the VGC best games of all time!

I feel sorry for the people only posting about one manufacturer ( nintendo or sony mostly) because of the amount of amazing games they have never played it really is sad

1- shenmue 2 (dc)

2- zelda ocarina of time (n64)

3- diablo 2 (pc)

4- sonic 2 (md)

5- shadow of the colossus (Ps2)

Around the Network

1. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GC)

2. F-Zero GX (GC)

3. Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC)

4. Soul Calibur II (GC)

5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)

This is coming from a GC owner, so I chose the ones I played the most.

All time includes an awful lot of games. Only one console game made it into my list. The others are all legendary "genre starters", or the first truly awesome, most-influencial member of their young genre -- not THE first member, in most cases.

1. Ultima IV (PC, etc.)
2. Super Mario 64 (N64)
3. DOOM (PC)
4. Nethack (Unix, etc.)
5. Civilization (PC)

Civilization (board game)

JK

But @ Procrastinato:  It probably depends on what you're looking at.  I mean, if you talk about genre-definers, there are too many genres for only 5 spots, so something's gotta go.  In your case PC games defined most of those genres. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:

Civilization (board game)

JK

But @ Procrastinato:  It probably depends on what you're looking at.  I mean, if you talk about genre-definers, there are too many genres for only 5 spots, so something's gotta go.  In your case PC games defined most of those genres. 

I tried to pick games that defined genres by means of being great, though.  The ones I listed all had predecessors that defined the genre they were in, really.  But those games were the shining stars.  The ones that people will remember -- thus, I think they deserve "greatest game of all time" status over their, arguably more innovative, predecessors.

Around the Network

I understand, but I didn't actually disagree with any of that. My point was that there are more than 5 genres so your picks are going to be biased to your favorite genres unless you also picked the "greatest" genres to pick the games out of.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

1.Metal Gear Solid PS1
2.Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots PS3
3.Final Fantasy VII PS1
4.God Of War II PS2
5.Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence PS2

Play B3yond

MGS4 PS3
The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past SNES
Final Fantasy 3(6) SNES
Super Metroid SNES
Resident Evil 4 Gamecube

Hi

Do anyonedownload the game from the web?

Final-Fan said:
I understand, but I didn't actually disagree with any of that. My point was that there are more than 5 genres so your picks are going to be biased to your favorite genres unless you also picked the "greatest" genres to pick the games out of.

Oh, sure.  Benga limited us to 5 though, and I think that we can count on people sticking to their favorite genres and own personal favorites when they pick "greatest" games.

Thus, I merely added my own vote to the end result.  Balanced the skewed opinions of others, from my own perspective, as it were.  Its true that more popular genres will inevitably get more votes.  Kinda unfair, but... hard to do a popular opinion poll without that skewing of the data towards popularity, and away from "art", etc.

You have to do a panel of experts style thing to get the artsy stuff to show up in the "X greatest", really.  This poll will end up as "50 most respected, amongst the most popular", by necessity of being popular opinion/vote.

Also, I factored in that the VGC staff will, in observing assorted votes, have their memories jogged, and this will yield discussions about what "greatest" really means.  Its hard to remember every great game, when you've played as many as I have, and I imagine other people have similar issues, in deciding upon the entries in a "greatest" list.  Merely by mentioning the titles I've mentioned, I will have conjured up memories of fantastic gaming in the minds of those who played said titles, and their consideration of great may expand some.  

From my perspective, PC and Unix titles basically inspired most of modern day console gaming, and its tough to look back and see a great console game without a PC or Unix ancestor, which was also great.  You could argue that this is actually only true for my favorite genres, however.  I have never much cared for some console/arcade original genres, like side-scrolling shooters (eg: Megaman, original Metroid, Bionic Commando) as an example, and it of course shows in my picks.

Just like my picks won't show in other people's picks, thanks to their own bias. ;)

We're polluting the thread with this discussion though.  I apologize to anyone who didn't want to read it.