By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How accurate are VG charts?

Hey, Im wondering for more vetrean membres that knew about VG charts longer then I have could answer come questions for me. I find it difficult that the nex gen wars numbes jump by thousands in a one week span, the xbox 360 for example. The sales are zeroing in in stores i see then everywhere, now fanboys try to get as many numbers for their company as possable, microsoft more then others. How can the 360 numbers jump up second place in a one week by thousands? I find it hard to believe. The PS3 and Wii numbers are very believable, but still hard to consider, According to some of my friends and family the wii is sold out everywhere (Most in US) shipments are tracked by many and still the numbers grow by so many at one time. -If your too lazy to read that read this: 1. How accurate is VG charts? 2. Cna someone try to explain the massive jumps in the nex gen wars section.

Around the Network

The massive sales jumps by the thousands from 5 million 20 thousand to 5 million to 40 something thousand (for the wii) -In the nexgen wars section at the top.

Well, this site has an odd way to come up with the tallies. For Japan, they use Media Create numbers as some kind of reference it seems, and then changes the numbers using some sort of formula or whatnot. These are not 100% accurate numbers even by the leniant definition of actual compiled data from one specific source (media create, famitsu, ect...) What this site does is combine all the sources, and then somehow comes up with a number. If you are looking for solid numbers, look elsewhere. This site is nice for an overview, that's about it.

I don't think you can really find the most accurate numbers down to a few hundreds from ANY source, including official ones. What VGchart does is do estimates and correct numbers as they see fit. I don't think the site even claims to be accurate with actual facts(meaning no opinions). It give you the general idea of the state of the console war. Many people, including "respected" sites, seem to miss that point quite often.

ranzchic said: I don't think you can really find the most accurate numbers down to a few hundreds from ANY source, including official ones. What VGchart does is do estimates and correct numbers as they see fit. I don't think the site even claims to be accurate, just comprehensive to give you the general idea of the state of the console war. Many people, including "respected" sites, seems to miss that point quite often.
++ If you're looking for extremely accurate numbers, you're out of luck. Noone has them. The trick is to get as close as possible, which is what VGCharts' goal is. They seem pretty accurate to me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Around the Network

I think VGCharts does a great job with the sales figures. As stated, as there is no *official* worldwide sales figures released, this is a combination of data collection, trend following, interpolation, and more. Of all the figures/sites I have seen, I believe VG to be the most accurate. It would be lovely for a company to start a more official sales tracking for Europe (Japan & US are well covered). Any chance for the VG Europe figures to be displayed per territory?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I have yet to find a more accurate source.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

There may be more accurate sources for individual territories, but nobody compiles more info from around the world in one place. If you want more than 3 or 4 numbers, VGcharts is easily, far and beyond, the best source.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I'd argue that VGcharts has lots of quantity, but not as much quality (not in a bad way). IE, the whole US/NA methodology: Take a number, round it to the nearest 1/4 thousand, then multiply by 10%. As much as that supposedly should work for Canada/Mexico, the market(s) are more like 6-7.5% of the US's NPD total as opposed to the 10% VGcharts.org extrapolates. Japan isn't as bad, as they use Famitsu which is already rounded. Of course, I prefer MC for data is it's not rounded. Of course, it's kind of a chevy-ford thing with famitsu and MC. Worldwide, it's anyones guess. However, the numbers are pretty close as they emulate official numbers from MS/Sony/Nintendo's ship numbers with a decent bit of info on actual sellthrough. That obviously can't be very accurate due to smaller territories like European, Austrailian and other asian territories.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.