By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft says it will take PS3 sales away at Christmas

lol I'm going to assume Sporticus does not own a PS3. I am just fine with the games that are coming out for it, thank you, and I'd prefer it not be eliminated. I'll be playing Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Timeshift, and Killzone 2, most of them before Christmas. But, I'm also going to be buying Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, so I'll be quite busy. Times are good, and they'll be getting a lot better once hardcore games start coming out on 360. I've heard that the Red Ring Of Death seems to be essentially an overheating problem, usually occurring during or after extended play sessions. That's not going to make all the people who bought Halo 3 to play it for ten hours straight online real happy when virtually every susceptible 360 crashes at the same time, and I can't imagine it will be good press for Halo 3 either. First off, I never liked Halo, and second, I am totally not paying 300-450 dollars for a system with a 33 percent failure rate, I don't care if they extend the warranty or not.

Around the Network

No one seemed to mind the failure rates on early PS2s

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

apparently people dont' mind seeing as 360 sales actually went up in light of failure news.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

You're talking to a guy with first hand experience of that, dude. But mind you, it was the laser eye that went bad in PS2s, and that wasn't so much an overheating issue, mostly wear and tear. You couldn't go to the store, buy 3 PS2s, and expect one of them to fail the first time you log an eight hour session. I played through all 3 PS1 Final Fantasys on that thing, plus Final Fantasy 10, and about three quarters of the other games I had before I had to get a new one. And the failure rates of the PS3 and Wii are virtually nonexistant, which makes a 33 percent failure rate kind of stand out. Not to mention costing Microsoft, last I heard, about a billion dollars.

Microsoft also has the money to spend, Sony really doesn't

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

- Unknown

- Sony Fandom

Around the Network

Well, good, because they're probably going to have to repair upwards of a third of their installed base free of charge. Besides, the PS2 is still selling better than almost everything else, and I'd imagine that gives Sony a nice profit boost.

not really considering the losses of the PS3 are more than what can be offset by the modest profit of the PS2, and considering the PS2 is arguably one of the largest contributing factors that is hurting the PS3 (why adopt a new expensive console when the old cheaper one has one of the largest game libraries ever) its some what of a love hate relationship.

- John Lucas

- Reggie Fils-Aime

- Unknown

- Sony Fandom

MikeB said:

But according to VGChartz the PS3 in its first year is currently outperforming the XBox 360's global sales data for its second year, both if you align launches and if you compare the last month's weekly sales data, this at a higher entry price and the console still being in its first year (smaller PS3 specific games library). So the media is entirely biased, almost to an extend it looks like they want it to be a Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I just aligned the launches and the 360 is outpacing the PS3 in the U.S. and "Others".  Basically it's only when you add in Japan is the PS3 able to keep up with 360 sales in those two regions.  I think it's really shows the situation the PS3 is in when it requires Japan's sales in order to keep up with the 360.  Also I can't help but wonder how this split in installed base affects the thinking of third parties.  For example many games developed in the West don't appeal to the Japanese (FPS for instance) so even if the installed bases for the PS3 and 360 were the same Worldwide the 360 would likely be more appealing for those third parties.

Killzone3 said:
http://www.gamernode.com/News/3878-Microsoft-says-it-will-take-PS3-sales-away-at-Christmas/index.html Sorry Cornelius, but even with a big software advantage you cant beat the PS3 and that advantage is quickly coming to an end. I'am betting MR C is wrong, you ?

I'll probably feel really sorry for the PS3 this Christmas because it's obvious that it's going to be completely owned in North America and very likely in the UK as well.  As for Japan, Sony is extremely lucky that the 360 isn't a contender there otherwise the gap between the PS3 and the 360 would be growing at an alarming rate.

ssj12 said:
leo-j said:
Unless heavenly sword or some other game becomes a must get it might still sales.

we all realized that amazon sucks as an indicator but Warhawk is in the top 100 (last checked 1 am EST last night), Uncharted is hyped to hell, R&C will move some consoles, Eye of Judgment will move some console mainly in Japan though. Umm.. Folklore will be a big hit as there hasn't been any good next gen RPGs yet in Europe or the US.

Oblivion? Two worlds? Since you want to compare RPG line-ups for 2007, the 360 has blue dragon, eternal sonata, lost odyssey and mass effect as well.  Now which RPG line-up do you think will "take away" the most sales?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS