By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii price = Total Nintendo Domination

$200 would be rockin' but I am unsure if we will see that in 2009.

However, I did freak out the other day at Walmart when I noticed the Wii had a price on the box for $299.88. I was "WTF! They raised the price?!" Then I realized that it was a bundle deal w/ Wii Play for $299.88. lol. Walmart is now pushing their bundles in store as well as their website.

Around the Network

As everyone said it would be kinda stupid for them to drop the price mainly because it would increase demand. They might care for their customers its also buisness, and not only that but it would make thoes who bought it for full would be pissed off, which is why console manufacturers typicaly lower the price after 3 or two years.

But for nintendo its going to take a little longer. like with the GameCube, after 03 they knew it wasnt selling that hot so they droped the price to $99.99 which gave them decent profit even though they sold the least consoles.

Having it at $200 wouldn't do anything, if people still can't find it at $250 then why drop the price. It makes no sense.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

It might be selling out in some areas but not all. Japan probably needs the price cut later this year more than any other region.

I would expect Nintendo to reduce the price of the Wii when their quarterly sales of the Wii are lower than the sales from the same quarter in the previous year ... Now, there is little evidence that this has started to happen in 2009 so I wouldn't bet on a price reduction until 2010.

Around the Network

We'll see a price drop about 1 year after you can easily walk into a store during the holidays and be able to buy one. So, I could see a price cut in Japan, but NA and Europe are selling systems like crazy and they can't even produce enough for the entire year.

Even if your area/country isn't selling out, it just means they will get less/same shipments, as those units will be shipped to other places within your region that can't keep them in stock.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I doubt that the demand / supply ratio is actually so high now or that it will remain so high as the recession continues. Up through the last holiday season, I would never see more than one Wii in stock at the local Target, and usually none. Yesterday, they had about 8 crammed in there. It's not really a Nintendo matter, since I think the Wii's demand is still quite strong relative to other gaming consoles, but it may be inevitable nonetheless that the cycle of excess inventory / price deflation will lead to some price cut even for the ever-popular Wii.