By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Examples of Science Fiction theories in gaming

I was thinking of writing an editorial for the site doing the only thing I really know decently well other than gaming, and that's science.  What I am looking for are instances of specific Science Fiction in gaming that I could look and research their plausibility.  Mainly things like in MGS4 the plausibility of a virus designed to attack only a certain person and its eventual breakdown to lose its selectivity and attack humans in general are what I'm looking for. 

Any ideas you can think of would be a great help, thanks much.

Around the Network

Check Parasite Eve 1 and 2 on PS1

I know some people might think I'm an idiot when I suggest this but I am going to suggest it anyway: Star Ocean 3's plot twist. The latter half of SO3 dealt with scientific/philosophical themes such as virtual reality, the emotions and humanity of "data", and free will of the creations of virtual reality.

@Bloodwalker
Please be more specific so I have something to start from

@Riachu
Though I hated the plot twist as a story element, it might be interesting to look at from a different standpoint. Thank you for the idea.

Assassin's Creed is about the concept of genetic memory, look up the spoiler video on youtube.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Off topic: Wow, just wow. I haven't read up on MGS4s story, but sthat just sounds so stupid to me. Then again I can science geek out on games and be overly critical of very minor problems.

How in-depth are you willing to go here? The first game that pops to mind is KZ2, but thats just because I was reading the back story and going into fits of nerd rage over the minor problems. This would be trying to travel near light speed, the need for cryogenic freezing to keep people young while traveling at the speed of light over a long period of time, and fast communication between the ships and Earth once the ships reach a spot many lightyears away. I am not familiar with the tech backstory of the Metroid series, but it also has space ships travelling light years and communicating.

Trauma Center series would probably have some good stuff too. Thrusting you into the role of a surgeon and dealing with topics very similar to your example. Whether or not certain patients have any chance of survival no matter how good the surgeon is would be interesting, but perhaps require more research than is worth putting into it.

If you wanted to get really ambitious you could try tackling the Hal-life series. The science there is almost certainly shaky, but would require some looking into quantum physics to fully prove/disprove viability. Whether or not you can create a dorr to a parallel world, or create a portal between two distant locations that would allow near instantaneous travel between those two points.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Parasite eve series is based on the Mitochondria theory, all humanity is descendant from a woman in Africa that is called Eve.

Apart from that the Mithocondria is treated as an entity of it's own than can even take control of the host since it contains little changes in the DNA(or is RNA) inside it and there is not enough research on what it can really do.

Parasite Eve 2 is more related into using the power of the Mitochondria for boi weapons

hmm...Halo: the halo

KZ2: The bizarre space travel (launching from the planet like that?)

Space flight in any video game (always wrong)

Light Sabers in Star wars

Just a few ideas

No one tell Gnizmo about the butchering of dominant/recessive genes in MGS1. He's liable to have a heart attack.

Eternal Darkness, Metroid series, Chrono Trigger, Resident Evil series, Half Life series, etc...

All of these have some great science and science fiction story lines, details or atmosphere.

The rEVOLution is not being televised