By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Variety: Sony fanboys starting to resemble Rush Limbaugh

you gotta love the internet in if you get shot down you can always respond with "you didn't detect my sarcasm?" lol

Around the Network

I always thought xbox owners were more like Rush Limbaugh...

Good article. It's actually one of the reasons why I dont like this gen.

Gamers cant have different opinions anymore. If you tell somebody on the internet that you didnt like MGS4 you will be called a "X360 fanboy!!" in notime. Means you are not allowed to not like the game, you have to like this game, and if you didnt like it then your opinion is irrelevant and you are a fanboy. What is even worse is that people expect the same from reviewers.

Last gen you could say whatever you want about every hyped game and people would listen, instead of acting like you are an "enemy". Now the only hyped games getting easily criticized are multiplatform-ones(because there is no reason to defend them) while every exclusive is being protected by an army of fanboys.

I puke in your general direction! This constant regurgitated bullshit is starting really show some people up. Comparing Sony fanboys to Republicans instantly mean MS fanboys must be Democrats and there for on the side of light and right (call it the Obama effect) and Sony the evil empire. Stinks of MS propaganda to use such comparisons. Utter bullshit.

edit: I know it says "not really comparing" but it is. We all know that on both sides of the HD divide there are some rabid fans who wont hear a bad thing said against their machine or the next big exclusive. Its not just Sony fanboys and it is starting to piss me off that according to the US media it is.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Khuutra said:

Intentional or not, the irony here is so thick that talking about it is smothering me to death.

This was an interesting article, but it's not a phenomenon limited to Sony fanboys. This happens every time a game gets even a middling score when it's expected to be more or less perfect - does anyone remember the debacle surrounding Gamespot's (fair and well-reasoned) review of Twilight Princess? Same thing.

The thing here is that people like to pretend that there's an objective standard by which a quality of a game can be measured while adhering to a standard deviation of error, and anything that goes outside of this standard deviation is invalidated. Which is, of course, a big pile of steaming horse manure. Video game critics aren't supposed to be bound by the opinions of their peers, and the expectation that they should all rate things in roughly the same way is one of the worst things about gaming journalism.

The other, of course, is what leads people to want this, in that game reviews talk about whether a game is worth buying instead of whether or not it is any good, but that is a discussion for another time.

Great post. I agree completely.

That Variety article is on point as well, too bad some people won't really get it.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

Needless to say, I Think the article is full of utter rubbish.

TWRoO said:
blazinhead89 said:
TWRoO said:
blazinhead89 said:
Variety? LMAO , If you want to take them seriously , be my guest.

Isn't this post part of the problem the article talks about?

Sarcasm detector broken eh? lol :P

I never bought one, I don't buy into fad technology.... thus I am forced to use good old fashioned mind power. And I will state that:

I still don't think you were using sarcasm, this second post of yours is merely a defence.

LOL, such fearsome pwnage.

Honestly .... I'm speechless.

blazinhead89 said:
TWRoO said:
blazinhead89 said:
Variety? LMAO , If you want to take them seriously , be my guest.

Isn't this post part of the problem the article talks about?

Sarcasm detector broken eh? lol :P

LOL trying to pass that off as sarcasm ....

I'm so glad you're the first person to post in this thread.

I think this phenomenon is the cause of one of the biggest problems in games journalism today.

Reviewers generally don't adequately distinguish between games that are the best thing that's out right now and games that a substantial number of people will come back and play again in 20 years.

Any time a reviewer criticizes the latest sacred cow they face an enormous community backlash. The result has been that all of the larger review outlets tend to rate highly hyped games on a scale of 8 to 10.

The frothing fanbase of the sacred cow sees the outcome of this and views the reviewers who play ball as being the most trustworthy. Consider the fact that lots of people claim IGN is a highly credible source because it rated their favorite games highly while completely ignoring that it rates a ton of games that are not their favorites just as highly.

People are unwilling to listen to people who actually give an honest opinion when there are other people tell them what they want to hear.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck