By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Variety: Sony fanboys starting to resemble Rush Limbaugh

Jordahn said:

Of course I mentioned about the insecurities of fanboys on the internet.  This past X-mas, I came across an old 1991 issue of GamePro mag I bought when I was in college stored in a box at my mom's.  Reading it takes me back to when it was just about the games, and all consoles were treated relatively equally and professionally.  Now, I'm glad market has grown, but the down side that with growth, you get more garbage.  And sadly, anger goes a long way.  The anger of the fanboys are heard more, because they are the ones throwing the first stone.  No one has to justify what they like, but when the fanboys come knocking, you feel forced to defend yourself because you need to protect your turf.  My turf is gaming, plain and simple.

I still have a box filled with old GamePro magazines. I don't remember those journalists attacking fan groups or attacking console companies and even console prices. I have never heard anything like "Now you have something else to spend your money on besides Heavenly Sword figurines and Anti-Depressants". Just the fact that these journalist say these things to get a specific group all worked instead of just doing what their job entails, which is "reviewing the game" is just mind boggling. What are they honestly getting out of this? Site hits? Is that really it?

I remember having a Genesis and my best friend having an SNES. Of course we would have the usual "Mine is better than yours" quarls, but to be honest who doesn't? We would still play and enjoy games from each console without resorting to insults and such in order to garner support from a mob of internet fanboys.

Between this guy and Malstrom the insults are getting out of hand and truly gives a disgusting image to gaming in general.

Too much finger pointing.

Edit - Took a look at your profile. You are an old school gamer?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

This kind of mentality is how Hitler got is start end of line.................................

No, Hitler got his start because the German people had been squeezed to hard after WW1, but that is different thing all together.
I remember all the magazines i read were always taking a pop at the competition, except for the PC mags, who were all like "we are way above that shit!"

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

joshin69 said:
No, Hitler got his start because the German people had been squeezed to hard after WW1, but that is different thing all together.
I remember all the magazines i read were always taking a pop at the competition, except for the PC mags, who were all like "we are way above that shit!"

Well you have probably read them longer than I did, plus I only subscribed to GamePro as a kid. I don't remember GamePro doing it much, honestly I still don't see them doing it that often.

I will trust your comment though, seeing as how you have a good 11 years on top of my gaming experience.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

joshin69 said:

I was trying to use a little hyperbole to lighten the thread (with a reference to the computer in Tron thrown in), but this sort of crap really does get on my nerves.  To someone that is reaching 40 I am getting really sick of people half my age that seem to think they know everything.  The great thing is once they are my age they will have to deal with all the same things I do now.  Ah sweet retribution :).

I really can't take any of this too seriously, but I do think the critical thinking skills of the general populace have gone down a great deal and may degrade further.  I just hope we don't end up like the movie Idiocrasy.

Around the Network

Euphoria14
It was never anything serious, all very tongue in cheek. Not like now. I think the worst i saw PC mags get was when MS brought bungee and basically told PC gamers who had been waiting for halo with barely contained excitement that if they wanted to play it they would have to get an Xbox. Quite a lot of bitching, in the letters pages especially.

jimbo
Sorry, totally missed the Tron thing. Made the sentence click on a second glance.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

jimbo said:
joshin69 said:

I was trying to use a little hyperbole to lighten the thread (with a reference to the computer in Tron thrown in), but this sort of crap really does get on my nerves.  To someone that is reaching 40 I am getting really sick of people half my age that seem to think they know everything.  The great thing is once they are my age they will have to deal with all the same things I do now.  Ah sweet retribution :).

I really can't take any of this too seriously, but I do think the critical thinking skills of the general populace have gone down a great deal and may degrade further.  I just hope we don't end up like the movie Idiocrasy.

But... but... it has elecrolytes.

@joshin69

That is what I mean. Even if it was brought up before they never went this far. You might have but from my "limited" personal experience I have never before seen gaming journalists making sweeping generalizations about a fanbase and picking quotes from fans and shooting them down as part of an article.

I can't remember a time when gaming journalists were making examples out of the very people who read their stuff.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
jimbo said:
joshin69 said:

But... but... it has elecrolytes.

I'm still laughing I suppose I should get back to work now.

"Edit - Took a look at your profile. You are an old school gamer?"

I would like to think I'm a self-proclaimed old school, hardcore gamer without being too conceited about it. I have a history behind it. Maybe for later...

:)

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

I just watched idiocracy ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/ ), ant this automatically reminded me of the movie.