By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ign Uk review heavenly sword

It just seems that most sony titles for the PS3 are bad in the gameplay department.

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
Around the Network
roadkillers said:
UKIGN 7/10:
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-61918.aspx

Playmagazine 100/100:
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-61124.aspx

NextGenIreland 9.7/10:
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-60817.aspx

PSW 8/10:
http://www.n4g.com/News-60339.aspx

Theres a couple more that I dont feel like looking up but heres just some.

robjoh: Happy?

Many people seem to think Play Magazine is a joke and they give out lots of high scores to undeserving games. Does anyone here have an opinion on that?

So PSW is a Playstation 3 magazine? And they only gave Heavenly Sword 8 / 10?

Next Gen Ireland is also Playstation only?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

shams said:

Wow, that's huge news IMO.

I had HS pinned as a 8.0-8.5, and the best (or 2nd-best) PS3 title out this Xmas. And I give a lot of credence to IGN reviews (even if this is IGN UK - potentially a less experienced reviewer). IGN (US) may give a difference mark - up to 8 (or even over), but there is no way this is a '9' title now.

So the 360 gets its blockbusters: Bioshock, Halo, Mass Effect (at least - Im predicting solid '9' scores for Mass Effect now).

And the Wii gets its blockbusters: Metroid, Galaxy & Brawl - all likely to score mid/high 9's.

...this leaves the PS3 with 2 titles left: Uncharted, R&C. The importance of these titles are now grown significantly - it could be a serious body blow if the PS3 is left without a AAA title this Xmas. I guess you could throw GT Prologue in there as well.

I think that's a legitimate concern.  Both the 360 and Wii have three games with a good chance at 9+ reviews.

Will any PS3 game have over a million in US sales this holiday season?

Will any PS3 game have an average rating of 9+?  

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

darconi said:
naznatips said:
Am I the only one who thinks these games (Lair and Heavenly Sword) are getting these bad reviews because Sony is rushing them out so that they don't have an abysmal software lineup this year? 6 or 7 hours of gameplay is ridiculous. There isn't even a Gamecube game that short and they are on 1.5 GB minidiscs. There is no way that this game went through a full development cycle if a reviewer can beat it in 6 hours. I think the same thing happened with Lair. A lot of the issues sound like problems that happen when a game is rushed to the market. Is Sony killing its own games in order to make it look like they have a better 07 lineup?

Seriously, 6-7 hrs for an action game like this is ridiculously short. Every once in a while I like and play some of these 1 vs the world button mashing games (yes yes HS is not all button mashing but its close) and 6-7 hrs is just way too short. Dynasty warriors may be ridiculed but they've actually got a lot of content, repetitive though it may be.

Maybe they should've taken some of those 10 gigs of audio space they used up and put some more levels in there instead.

That got a laugh from me.

Sure it may not be a great game, but let's see the Wii or 360 match the 10 gigs of audio!

think that's a legitimate concern. Both the 360 and Wii have three games with a good chance at 9+ reviews.

==> I would say "8+ in AVERAGE", "9+" seems to high for me, we will see

Will any PS3 game have over a million in US sales this holiday season?

==> Since people buy console to play, I m sure the PS3 NA owners will buy game EVEN IF these game are not the must have game
I dont know if we will see millions sellers but is it because of bad games ? or restrcited, too small, PS3 user base ?

Will any PS3 game have an average rating of 9+?

==>no,
but some may finish at 8/10 like Warhawk/Unchartred/GT5prologue
(dont forget multiplateform game : AssassinCreed/CoD4/UT3/Haze)

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Not with Next Gen Ireleand. Not what i'd consider a credible site at all.

Play Magazine isn't great too... they've overated 75% of released PS3 games compared to everyone elses reviews.

Just got to this comment.  That answers my question...

OriGin said:
I can agree with 8 for BIOSHOCK I think it's been highly over-rated thus far.

sig:

Currently Playing | PC - Bioshock (soon)

So you think BioShock is highly overrated, but you haven't played it yet, but you plan on playing it soon.  Okay. 

joshmyersBV said:
It just seems that most sony titles for the PS3 are bad in the gameplay department.

I agree.  Technophiles will purchase pretty looking games but the problem is that no game with lacking gameplay can develop into a system seller.  Such games require stong word-of-mouth.  PS3 owners (at least the honest ones) will tell their friends that their new game Lair or HS looks great but gets boring after a while.  That kind of statement isnt going to get ppl buying an expensive game system.  One game that seems to be getting some (but not universal) good reviews is warhawk, but the problem here is that the PS3 isn't known as an online gaming machine, and it just doesn't FEEL like a system-seller.  

R & C and Uncharted may(we dont know yet) have great gameplay and will accordingly shift consoles, but wont have nearly the same effect as a FF or GoW

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

And reviews saying they're boring/repetative & short are the reason these games will be big hits at Blockbuster & Gamefly.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

akuma587 said:
So first they say the combat system is not that good, but then they say it is one of the major highlights of the game in the closing comments and don't say that the graphics, etc. are the best like they did earlier. I am confused.

They're suggesting that the best part of the game just isn't that good.