By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Nintendo Power is not what it used to be.

Ooooh Poor Print media. Nobody loves it these days

As for Nintendo Power magazine, it has contributed greatly so far in selling NES and SNES, which Nintendo had to start from scratch in the U.S.

Back then, publishing and distributing a monthly magazine was the most practical way to connect consumers and manufacturers. Now we have a much higher frequency of connecting with consumers online than traditional print publications. Online also has an advantage with lower cost and speed. As so many media are shifting from print to online, we also wanted to shift how we primarily connect with our consumers, and going from our paper publication, Nintendo Power, to online as the center of our message delivery efforts to our consumers. Part of the team that moved to New York included Nintendo’s web content team, and they are working with an increased number of staff.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/09/nintendo-nintendo-power-no-longer-the-best-way-to-reach-nintendo-fans/

Well what can I say? Yes magazines are in bad shape these days, but still I think that Nintendo can hold Nintendo Power for some years.

Around the Network

They can, but what is the point, if it's an outdated media?

Nintendo won't keep an ineffective, costly, dying format just because of nostalgia.

Magazines have that inherent value that won't ever completely disappear. Publishers just have to adopt a more profitable plan as magazines move into the field of somewhat more of a luxury item. In Nintendo Power's case, they shall probably live through the great weeding-out, so long as Future Publishing themselves survive this troubled time. Especially since the interests of the supposedly platform-neutral mags leans further and further away from caring about anything Nintendo, Nintendo Power will stand as the sole print source of interest to those who wish to know everything Nintendo

If Future plays its cards right, Nintendo power should live. A diminished life, but it shall survive.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Didn't Nintendo already outsource Nintendo Power? Like sometimes late 2007/early 2008?

That being said, since it is the only magazine that gives the Wii adequate and honest coverage, I actually took out a subscription recently.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Alterego-X said:
They can, but what is the point, if it's an outdated media?

Nintendo won't keep an ineffective, costly, dying format just because of nostalgia.

lol, clever ^^

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network

I hope they keep NP around, I love that magazine.

How many customers interested enough to buy Nintendo Power don't have access to the internet (where you get mostly the same information, but faster)? I don't think it's a large number.

As such, drop the magazine. Put the resources into something else, like Nintendo channel, add articles, previews and reviews etc. And add more incentives to turn the channel on.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

He's right, it's faster and more cost effective. It also saves a few trees. The only magazine I actually get in hardcopy anymore is National Geographic and I would happily give that up if they would make all the pretty pictures as high resolution downloads. Yea Right