By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3 “sales curve” to far outlast that of PS2

TWRoO said:

Consumers don't care for "bleeding edge" tech even though PS3 isn't really that either) if it makes things too expensive.

by 2012 Nintendo will be able to make a console a good bit more powerful than the PS3 for the usual launch price of $200 (the Wii was the first Nintendo console to launch higher than that, and it was mostly due to Wii Sports being packed in)

Yeah, you pretty much got my point ...

We're already at a point where very modest hardware is surpassing the capabilities of the HD consoles, and within a couple of years you would have to be going specifically out of your way to produce a console that was less powerful than the HD consoles if you wanted to produce a platform with that low of performance.

Now, this isn't saying that Nintendo would completely change their approach and produce a "High Performance" console with their next system ... but the real question is "What benefit would there be for Nintendo releasing a system that was less powerful than 6 or 7 year old hardware?"

Around the Network
Avalach21 said:
HappySqurriel said:

There has only ever been 1 console which was truely (from a technical standpoint) futureproof and that was the SNES because Nintendo designed it so you could have "add-on" chips within the cartridge which could improve performance ... With that said, if technology was what kept systems alive for longer the XBox and Gamecube would have still been alive long after the PS2 died out.

what about sega genesis?  you could stick all sorts of things in it to make it futureproof!

^futureproof

LOL.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Avalach21 said:
HappySqurriel said:

There has only ever been 1 console which was truely (from a technical standpoint) futureproof and that was the SNES because Nintendo designed it so you could have "add-on" chips within the cartridge which could improve performance ... With that said, if technology was what kept systems alive for longer the XBox and Gamecube would have still been alive long after the PS2 died out.

what about sega genesis?  you could stick all sorts of things in it to make it futureproof!

^futureproof

Thank you for reminding me that I actualy bought that crap....

And people think a ps3 is expensive..  still.. Sonic CD & Star Wars Arcade for the 32x was almost worth it....

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Good god those Megadrive add-ons are ugly.

The 32X one makes it look like the Black Rhino ship from F-Zero X

Tecmo said:
sounds like the same old thing that they've been saying - however, I do think that this generation does have the potential to last longer than previous ones - I guess time will tell, but I personally (aka just my opinion) don't think the PS3's lifetime will outlast the PS2's

totaly agree with you TecmoFan : I personally don't think the PS3's lifetime will outlast the PS2's cause the PS2 was a phenom. But I wish that he last longer cause we don't want to buy a new system each 5 years and the ps3 seem to have a real potentiel with their processors that neither the wii or the xbox 360 have right now.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

Maybe so, but it isn't up to Sony. If Microsoft and Nintendo both come with a new machine, Sony has to follow. And no retailer is going to sell more than 4 systems (which will be Wii, Wii 2, new Xbox, and new PlayStation).

No they dont, Sony can just leave the PS3 on market and say screw releasing a new console for a few years.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Chrizum said:

Maybe so, but it isn't up to Sony. If Microsoft and Nintendo both come with a new machine, Sony has to follow. And no retailer is going to sell more than 4 systems (which will be Wii, Wii 2, new Xbox, and new PlayStation).

No they dont, Sony can just leave the PS3 on market and say screw releasing a new console for a few years.

Sure they can, but who will pay the 5000 employees' salaries?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ssj12 said:
Chrizum said:

With all due respect ssj12 thats just bullshit and you should know that.

Are you telling me you buy in to this 10 year crap cmon.

What company in there right mind is going to say hey we actually got this one wrong.

Answer none.

Sony fans need to start realising they were sold a puppy.

No fixed hardware is future proof. If you actually believe the ps3 is future proof then you are an idiot.

its possible, theres still much time left for ps3