By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3 “sales curve” to far outlast that of PS2

There has only ever been 1 console which was truely (from a technical standpoint) futureproof and that was the SNES because Nintendo designed it so you could have "add-on" chips within the cartridge which could improve performance ... With that said, if technology was what kept systems alive for longer the XBox and Gamecube would have still been alive long after the PS2 died out.

Around the Network

Well given their game dev capability and the fact PS3 will be produced as long as they say. Then why not, wii2 wont even have 360 power MS them self said this gen will be longer.

Wii2 will not push Sony or MS to release new hardware, and both MS and Sony have dug them self in for the longest hardware gen this industry has ever seen.

Only way this happens is if Sony starts bundling Wii's in with every PS3

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

or better yet lowers price.

PS3 slim would set sales on fire, though personally i always stuck with the launch bricks never got the new small models.

The PS3 will last long.. ugghh its not like sony is just going to pack up and move on once the next gen systems come out

I mean really do you honestly think the ps2 would be seeing the sales it has now and dying out if sony were still supporting it the way they support the ps3?

as long as sony keeps making the ps3 and making great games for it people will buy it...

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

Around the Network
twingo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

or better yet lowers price.

PS3 slim would set sales on fire, though personally i always stuck with the launch bricks never got the new small models.

Unlikely,360 can still drop prices further, so PS3 will never win the price issue, in addition its the number three console, so its percieved as the loser, so people are more likely to buy the ones that are seen as leading andlonger lasting

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

twingo said:
Well given their game dev capability and the fact PS3 will be produced as long as they say. Then why not, wii2 wont even have 360 power MS them self said this gen will be longer.

Wii2 will not push Sony or MS to release new hardware, and both MS and Sony have dug them self in for the longest hardware gen this industry has ever seen.

Why wouldn't the follow up to the Wii be more powerful than the current HD consoles?

You do realize that at the end of 2010 the XBox 360 will be as old as the Gamecube was when Nintendo released the Wii?

Are you aware that the very inexpensive Radeon HD4830 is already far more powerful than the GPUs inside either of the HD consoles?

Think about how much more advancement is going to happen over the next 4 years and really start to think why Nintendo wouldn't be able to surpass the power of the HD consoles when an eeepc will outperform either console in 2012.

HappySqurriel said:
twingo said:

Why wouldn't the follow up to the Wii be more powerful than the current HD consoles?

You do realize that at the end of 2010 the XBox 360 will be as old as the Gamecube was when Nintendo released the Wii?

Are you aware that the very inexpensive Radeon HD4830 is already far more powerful than the GPUs inside either of the HD consoles?

Think about how much more advancement is going to happen over the next 4 years and really start to think why Nintendo wouldn't be able to surpass the power of the HD consoles when an eeepc will outperform either console in 2012.

I'm sure twingo wasn't serious with that comment. He should realize the Wii was stronger than all the last gen consoles so the next Nintendo console should be stronger than all the consoles from this gen.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

HappySqurriel said:

There has only ever been 1 console which was truely (from a technical standpoint) futureproof and that was the SNES because Nintendo designed it so you could have "add-on" chips within the cartridge which could improve performance ... With that said, if technology was what kept systems alive for longer the XBox and Gamecube would have still been alive long after the PS2 died out.

what about sega genesis?  you could stick all sorts of things in it to make it futureproof!

^futureproof

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

lol...is all I can say.