By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the conduit or madworld flop?Will there be no more hardcore third party

There's a very real chance that The Conduit, Deadly Creatures, Madworld and House of the Dead Overkill will flop in sales...if they don't get a big advertising campaign.

The fact is I see multiple 3rd parties spending loads of money on their PS3/360 hardcore titles in regards to TV ads and instore promotion. If companies don't give their hardcore Wii games the same support..then yes..they will bomb.

I would love to see Sega do very well from their games....but I doubt all Sega's hardcore games combined will have close to the advertising budget spent on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games.

Marketing is crucial.

Having said that..I don't think it will make a difference in regards to quality western support despite what some may claim.

If these games do well you'll just see devs get their C grade studios to make poor quality rushed hardcore games as opposed to poor quality rushed casual games. 

Around the Network

Honestly, I don't even know if I hope for Madworld to be a success. Publishers / developers are so dumb and shallow, it really makes me angry. Like "hardcore" means "violent". Look at the games we're going to get:
House of the Dead: Overkill
Madworld
Deadly Creatures
OneChanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers
Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop
The Conduit

Look at all the making of / preview vids about these games... the developers are trying so hard to show us they're taking the Wii seriously now. True hardcore experience, for the hardcore crowd, bang for the buck, sick of all the minigames, blah blah... YES I TOO AM SICK OF MINIGAMES! But can I please get a GOOD game WITHOUT a pubertal obsession with smashing peoples' faces?

Seems like I have to stick to Nintendo developed games, since third parties don't know there's actually something BETWEEN "ZOMG super cute Petz on happy happy fun fun vacation" and "Blaaargh rip guts out eat you alive starting with your eyeballs extreme 4 dead".

/rant

Edit: The Conduit does not really belong on that list, as it's probably not overly brutal.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
ECC said:
i think if the conduit flop it will really hurt Wii.

I have to agree with this statement. I think the gaming communitity has a lot of stock invested in this game, and if it does not at least sell a million copies within its first year I believe that 2010 may be a bad year for "core games" other than what would be released by Nintendo

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

They both have a high chance of failure because there aren't many other games like that on the Wii, so we can infer that the userbase isn't looking for those games. People who want shooters or gory games go for the PS360.

Outcast said:
They both have a high chance of failure because there aren't many other games like that on the Wii, so we can infer that the userbase isn't looking for those games. People who want shooters or gory games go for the PS360.

We can also infer that because a few games in that class have sold very well that the audience does exist and because little compeition for the genre's exist currently that they'll have little trouble selling to that audience.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
im_sneaky said:
Considering the install base and the lack of quality games recently, the Conduit really should sell 4m+ if it's a ~85% on metacritic game. But it won't.....

Don't use the install base argument. Unless you agree every PS2 game is a failure.

I don't see The Conduit selling over 500k. I hope I'm wrong though

Outcast said:

You're on a site with lots of sales information, why not use it?

Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty World at War all are or will soon be million sellers. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 was also a good shooter, but it was a low budget PSP port, and still sold over 500k.

In other words: you are wrong.

well I hope all these Wii Owners who are hoping for it to sell well are in the group that purchase the game and recommend it others to help it be successful.

Outcast your anti-Wii arguments are among the weakest I've seen. It's almost like you don't even try.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Cobretti2 said:
well I hope all these Wii Owners who are hoping for it to sell well are in the group that purchase the game and recommend it others to help it be successful.

Indeed, everyone here should recommend at least one of these games to a friend.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."