By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disappointments of the past couple years

(If you add your own, I will add to the list, it needs at least a little substance though)

(unordered list, these are people's opinions)

1. Spore

(ME)I had tracked this game from the very beggining, bought it the second day it was out. Wow, what did will wright spend all those years on? Instead of focusing on depth, you get stages, which are basically minigames, except the space stage, which was just kind of ok, but buggy, and constantly annoying. The Creature Creator was mildly fun though, before the game launched. Now though, I can't even use that because I know I don't like the game, therefore no drive to create new things.

(Kazs216)Spore was mildly disapointing too...Though I don't think it's a bad game so much as people were hyped into believing it was going to be way more then it was.Truth is... procedural animation probably took a crapload of time to figure out.  Espiecially for all the stuff you could do there.Will Wright originally joked you could have a war between Care Bears and Klingons... and the editor looked like it used to be a lot more sophisticated.   I'd be shocked to see a good version of either in spore.  Also why can't i paint my creatures however i want?  Why do i have to screw with the paintjobs to get a halfdecent version?Either they couldn't figure out how to make it procedural enough to allow actually sculpting... or EA perffered they went this way so they could see parts add ons.

2. Mercenaries 2: World In Flames

(ME)A game I recently played, and that also inspired this list. This does not only lack the great atmosphere of the first game, but bugs litter the landscape. The whole time I was playing this game I though (Man, Just Cause did this so much better) And It does feel like Just Cause, but without all of that "fun" stuff I've heard about.

3. Patapon

(ME)I hate to put a game beloved by so many on here. I actually like the game, but Ican't help but feel like it wasn't what I was hoping for. The game does a great job of getting you hypnotized with the beats of the drums, but it does get repetitive. And Considering the entire game is... Drumming to a beat, that's a bad thing. I like the game though, but It wasn't what I was hoping for.

4. Sonic Unleashed (Wii version)

(smokedhostage)I watched every trailer since the game was announced and after SEGA admitting that they've released bad Sonic games, I actually thought this would be different.  Instead, we have a Sonic that runs fast but controls like a speeding centipede.  Believe it or not, the Werehog levels are quite fun in moderation but after a while, they get mind-numbingly repetitive and poor level design choices are glaring. Couple that with the camera from hell on crack and you have a beat-em up that should have never existed.  Darn you Sonic Team!

5. Fable 2

(wfz)... I didn't know much about the game before I got it, but my friend said it was an amazing adventure RPG game. I don't dislike the game, it just wasn't half as amazing as I had hoped it would be.

6.  Mario Galaxy

(Destiny Blade) It wasn't what I had wanted from a Mario game. My expectations were sky high after loving Sunshine and 64 so much, I doubt anything could have lived up to the hype I had for this game.

7.  Bioshock

(Mummelmann) After playing for 3 hours I'd already met all the monsters/enemies, most, if not all, of the NPC's and seen all variations of environments. The weapons were way too powerful near the end and normal enemies were a breeze, whereas the bosses were sometime insane, forcing you to spend all your resources just so you'd have to spend a couple of hours scrounging more ammo and kit afterwards.
The storytelling in unoriginal and too obvious (luckily, all vital plot pieces were recorded and left in glaringly obvious locations and never disturbed by anyone or damaged by flood etc.).
It was too long, it showed why FPS games should not be long, you go crazy running back and forth doing the same shit over and over again and shooting the same baddies all day and night long.
Lastly; we were promised a revolution in gameplay which never came, the powers are hardly spectacular and less elegantly embedded than in Undying or some of the skills in Deus Ex. Condemned is a lot more groundbreaking than this imo.
A good game, but not great and certainly not a revolution by far.

8. Litte Big Planet

(Kasz216)Disapointed me... which was sad because i intentionally set my hopes very low considering I knew it was going to have less control and features then it's computer brethern.

Instead of a make your own platformer game... it's very much just a platformer with a level editor.

9. Twilight Princess (shock)   

(BornFirst) Do not get me wrong i think the game is better than a lot of games released even today, but it was missing something OOT and to an extent MM had. I really did not feel very emotionally tied to the game. In OOT and MM i actually cared what happened to Hyrule and the world, i just didn't get that from this game. I think mybe it lost a bit of depth when Nintendo decided to port it over to the Wii in the middle of development. They could have added a lot more to it, then ported it over later like they are doing with the pikmin series.

10. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (wii)

(smeags)I mean, I was having a pretty fun time. I actually had a "wow" moment while playing the game, when I first used the nunchuck to use force push. Seeing my forward gesture make the enemy fly into the wall with a satisfying thunk actually made me whisper "wow". That doesn't happen very often. And other than that, I couldn't complain while playing the game. The action was decent (albeit a tad monotonous), the graphics were tolerable (at least the lightning looked decent), and the leveling up was a nice way to make sure that every stone (person, robot, etc.) wasn't left unturned.
But the most redeeming factor was the story. LucasArts actually made a worthy bridge between Episodes III and IV. As Darth Vader's apprentice, everything started to make sense. How the rebel alliance was created, the reality of your existence, the corny love story between you and your pilot... I mean, for the most part, it kept me coming back for more. And man, it was really starting to get good... and then the game ended.(SPOILER ALERT) I mean, right when your existence was revealed (create the Rebel Alliance so that they could be rooted out by the Empire), the game ended. Man! They could have gone so much farther with the story...
But in the end Star Killer died and the Galaxy went on like nothing happened. The end!

11. Resistance 2

(bobo012893) A huge let down for me. Although it was definately enjoyable, while playing it I constantly felt like Insomniac could have made it a lot better. I think there schedule to release a game every year finally caught up with them.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

haven't played the other two but spore was a for sure dissapointment.

i had high hopes for it, but each act of it I had an infinately better game than it. It was like a bunch of shitty games from a few genres all thrown together to be an average game.

4. Sonic Unleashed (Wii version)

I watched every trailer since the game was announced and after SEGA admitting that they've released bad Sonic games, I actually thought this would be different.  Instead, we have a Sonic that runs fast but controls like a speeding centipede.  Believe it or not, the Werehog levels are quite fun in moderation but after a while, they get mind-numbingly repetitive and poor level design choices are glaring. Couple that with the camera from hell on crack and you have a beat-em up that should have never existed.  Darn you Sonic Team!

Pixel Art can be fun.

Halo 3- Amazing multiplayer, average single player,
GTA 4- fun at first, but it gets old quickly, Realistic= not fun. Multiplayer was nice though, for a bit.
Assassin creed- kinda got tired of doing the same thing, over and over.

I wonder if Sonic Team could screw up a 2d/3d remake of the original sonic?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

Fable 2... I didn't know much about the game before I got it, but my friend said it was an amazing adventure RPG game. I don't dislike the game, it just wasn't half as amazing as I had hoped it would be.

Strategyking92 said:

Sorry, I just had to go here..

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
Strategyking92 said:

Sorry, I just had to go here..

That's not the same game though, they just whored the name :P

I was talking about a remake, like bionic commando Rearmed.

For me

Mario Galaxy: It wasn't what I had wanted from a Mario game. My expectations were sky high after loving Sunshine and 64 so much, I doubt anything could have lived up to the hype I had for this game.

Ninja Gaiden 2: It just wasn't as good as the first, and was way too glitchy.

Chrono Trigger: I just couldn't get into it. That's really too bad for me, because the game is good.

New Super Mario Bros.: Mario or not, this was just a bad game.

Bioshock: After playing for 3 hours I'd already met all the monsters/enemies, most, if not all, of the NPC's and seen all variations of environments. The weapons were way too powerful near the end and normal enemies were a breeze, whereas the bosses were sometime insane, forcing you to spend all your resources just so you'd have to spend a couple of hours scrounging more ammo and kit afterwards.
The storytelling in unoriginal and too obvious (luckily, all vital plot pieces were recorded and left in glaringly obvious locations and never disturbed by anyone or damaged by flood etc.).
It was too long, it showed why FPS games should not be long, you go crazy running back and forth doing the same shit over and over again and shooting the same baddies all day and night long.
Lastly; we were promised a revolution in gameplay which never came, the powers are hardly spectacular and less elegantly embedded than in Undying or some of the skills in Deus Ex. Condemned is a lot more groundbreaking than this imo.
A good game, but not great and certainly not a revolution by far.