By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Good third party games for the Wii coming soon.

I don't expect to see awesome, exclusive third party games for the Wii until at least summer of 2008. Just about all third party developers were caught with their pants down -- they didn't expect the Wii to be such a huge seller. Not even Nintendo expected it. It wasn't until around April that I read news reports of developers -- especially big name developers such as Square/Enix and EA -- finally jumping on the Wii bandwagon and shifting most of its resources to develop for it. I remember reading a report that the Wii has the most exclusive games in development (sorry I can't find the link to it). Since it typically takes 10-18 months to develop a game, I don't expect to see good third party games until around mid 2008.

Many of the third party games on Wii are pretty subpar. It's like they don't take the Wii seriously. But I think that has change considering to this day it's hard to find Wiis on store shelves. But I think it's going to be a challenge for third party games to sell on the Wii when it has to compete with Nintendo's games. But I think that will push third party developers to make games to the highest quality. Which is all good for us gamers.

So Wii owners should be patient.

Around the Network

There's a few here and there but yeah, overall it seems 3ps have just been taking planned (or previously released) PS2 games and announcing them for the Wii with added motion controls and no to minimal graphic updates. There's an occasional good title here and there (despite all its faults, the Wii controls turn Rayman into a good game) but overall they're just quick cash-ins. There are games like Nights, RE:UC, & No More Heroes which will hopefully turn out to be really good games that change the direction of future 3p games.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Eventually it will reach a critical mass where even poor selling games on the Wii push out more copies than decent selling games on other consoles just due to the large install base. Plus even AAA titles don't cost near what they do for the other systems. It is just that much cheaper to develop for.

For all the criticisms of mini-game games I think they are key for 3rd parties. A game like Rayman allows a a developer to try out dozens of control schemes. Both the dance party and plunger games would make great stand alones.

Also with games like Metroid there will be an established way to do FPSs with the Wiimote. So soon enough the Bond games and what not can come out without fear if people not accepting the controls.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Vizion said:

I don't expect to see awesome, exclusive third party games for the Wii until at least summer of 2008. Just about all third party developers were caught with their pants down -- they didn't expect the Wii to be such a huge seller. Not even Nintendo expected it. It wasn't until around April that I read news reports of developers -- especially big name developers such as Square/Enix and EA -- finally jumping on the Wii bandwagon and shifting most of its resources to develop for it. I remember reading a report that the Wii has the most exclusive games in development (sorry I can't find the link to it). Since it typically takes 10-18 months to develop a game, I don't expect to see good third party games until around mid 2008.

Many of the third party games on Wii are pretty subpar. It's like they don't take the Wii seriously. But I think that has change considering to this day it's hard to find Wiis on store shelves. But I think it's going to be a challenge for third party games to sell on the Wii when it has to compete with Nintendo's games. But I think that will push third party developers to make games to the highest quality. Which is all good for us gamers.

So Wii owners should be patient.

You are certainly right about the lack of good 3rd party games, but it seems like  good ones are just around the corner.  Dewey's Adventure looks  to be a really awesome platformer.  Also within the next few months, we'll be getting Zack and Wiki and RE:UC so hopefully those will also be decent games and things will change.

Here's the (outdated) list :

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=7252

The Tales of Symphonia sequel/spinoff for Wii is my biggest missing title. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.