By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Megaton: Wii Sports is NOT the highest selling game ever! Not even close.

Shadowblind said:
celine said:
Shadowblind said:

Huh, I just realized Solitaire was bundled. Guess we have a new winrar.

Yeah people buy expensive computer only to play Solitaire.

People buy expensive console just to play Wii sports? o_o

Wouldn't that make the Wii's attach rate 1.0? 

Well this is a tricky question.

Is the Wii that sells WiiSports or is WiiSports that sells the Wii ?

Obviously the answer can't be black or white, it depend on who made the purchase. However I can state without a doubt* that WiiSports is one of the main factors that drive the unprecedent Wii diffusion ( I could say the same about the relationship between Nes and Super Mario Bros ).

The same can't be said about Solitaire ( or minesweep ) in relation of PC/Windows or Snake and cellphone because  those devices main driving points aren't related to gaming.

Tipically you buy a computer to use spreedsheet, a wordprocessing application , check your mails or surf on the net with a browser. Not to play solitaire.

Tipically tou buy a cellphone because you want to communicate with others whenever you are. Not to play Snake.

* Have you seen the attach rate in Japan where the game ins't bundled ? Have you heard about the contagious side effect of WiiSports during friends party?

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network
Malachi said:
shio said:
In light of this, I think VGChartz should add public numbers of games that aren't tracked, like PC games or old console games. It wouldn't be exact, but atleast it's better than nothing in my opinion.

Why? So you don't make a fool of yourself again? Try a little fact checking first, it would help a lot more and require a lot less work.

Or maybe it's because it would be good to have those games' figures available on VGChartz?! This isn't the first time I mentioned this.

i dont care about what game sells the most, i'd rather just play games.

Cheebee said:
So if you're gonna count those, might as well count Pictochat. Sure it's included on every DS, but still.
That game sold nearly a hundred million! :p

Good point.

Nintendo is charging for Wii Sports, and it's a disc game. People say the claim is not conclusive that Wii Sports is being charged separately, pointing that price differences occur naturally between regions. While that is true it's also true the fact that Iwata has pointed out many times to stockholders that Wii Sports software impacts the pricing of western markets, because they are charging for it as a legitimate game product.

Using the exact same logic we can forget all this leading console nonsense once and for all because we aren't even tracking the numbers:
Wii : 45,560,000
Bbox 360 : 27,930,000
Ps 3 : 19,900,000
DS : 97,280,000
PSP : 43,000,000
PC: 1,000,000,000

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9119

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
famousringo said:
shio said

• 25 million units sold have sold from retailers, equalling $300 million in consumer spending

Not bad.

But since a Wii bundled with Wii Sports costs at least $30 more than a Wii without (a Japanese Wii cost about $220 USD at launch), Wii Sports can claim over $1.2 billion dollars in consumer spending at retail. At that's not even counting all the hardware it helped to sell. You can claim that some of those people didn't want to buy Wii Sports, but they paid for it whether they wanted it or not.

Take that, dead horse!

I don't think you can compare the price of a console in one region and another and state that a bundled game is the reason it cost more.  I mean there are consoles with different prices among regions that never came with any bundled games.

That's right, it's actually $50.  Nintendo wanted to charge $199 for the Wii at launch, but retailers complained that they wouldn't get enough from that so Nintendo threw in Wii Sports and raised the price to $249.

I think Wii sales don't count. Why? Because when a person buys a wired sensor bar, they're forced to buy a Wii to go with it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Hilarious thread is hilarious. :D

Sad Wii Sports damge control is sad. :(

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I call bull on that Bejeweled figure, and it seems someone else has already pointed out that combined sales of bejeweled 1 and 2( across ALL distribution methods, downloads, retail, etc) Is "only" 25 million.

Assuming the sales are evenly divided thats 12 million per game, In which case it can't compete with Mario Kart Wii or Wii fit, nintendogs, New Super Mario Bros. etc.

Not to mention the game is cheap compared to the big retail games.

Solitaire or minesweeper shouldn't even be considered, we've gone over this several times.

The weakest of sauces.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception