By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Megaton: Wii Sports is NOT the highest selling game ever! Not even close.

CG.biz: It does seem headline writers occasionally turn a blind eye to the casual movement. How does it feel when games like Wii Sports get credited as the world’s best selling games?

JK: Nintendo has been following a parallel path to us for quite a while with the DS and Wii. I certainly don’t feel they’re getting credited unfairly or that they ‘stole our thunder’ or anything. I think they’ve been doing the same thing we have, trying to move games back from the hardcore crowd to a more general audience... they’ve just been doing it in the console and handheld space where we’ve been largely focused on the web and PC world. The success of the Wii helps us and the whole ‘casual’ field, if anything.

http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/28130/Casual-gaming-underappreciated

Bejeweled in numbers:
• Players have spent over 6 billion hours spent playing Bejewelled games (684,000 years, or 60 people playing 24 hours since the last Ice Age)
• A Bejewelled game is sold every 10 seconds
• Early on when PopCap was for sale, there were no takers for a $60,000 asking price
• 350 million copies of Bejeweled/Bejeweled 2 have been downloaded from the web
• 25 million units sold have sold from retailers, equalling $300 million in consumer spending
• There have been 1 billion downloads of all PopCap games in total
• Formed in 2000, PopCap now boasts a headcount of over 200.

Around the Network

isn't it free besides the 25 million that were sold from retailers? I don't think you can count a game that anyone can get for free on the internet.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I don't think you should count a bundled game either.

Does the 350 million number include the free trial?

Also, to keep things in perspective Bejeweled 2 is available on PC (Windows, Mac OS X), Browser (Flash), PDA (Palm OS, Windows Mobile, iPhone OS), Xbox 360 (XBLA), iPod, PlayStation 3 (PSN).

Well, MS mine sweeper and solitare were bundeled with several hundred million copies of windows.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

The same argument is used for Solataire and all the other Windows OS games out there.

If you consider those "Home Console" games then yes, they sold the most.

If you consider a home console as one of the traditional "videogames" only system (Which is a loose term now) then Wii Sports is the winner.

Why does this keep coming up?

I'm gonna try and compile a few lists...

-

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Thrillhouse said:
The same argument is used for Solataire and all the other Windows OS games out there.

If you consider those "Home Console" games then yes, they sold the most.

If you consider a home console as one of the traditional "videogames" only system (Which is a loose term now) then Wii Sports is the winner.

Why does this keep coming up?

I'm gonna try and compile a few lists...

-

Thing is, Bejeweled games aren't bundled. They sold 24 millions copies on retail, and considering Popcap's business comes almost entirely from digital distribution, I wouldn't not surprised if it the bejeweled franchise sold over 100 millions.

There is pc gaming's main audience and digital distribution main source. The casies.

Why doesn't this count if WiiSports does? Because WiiSports comes on a disc?

Wii sports is the highest selling game.

Mario was the previous one. This tells one story:

Wii sports and Mario are both exclusive titles, ie. If GTAIV sold over 45 million copies it would of been known as the highest selling game, in that regard guess what this means for Wii Sports?

Were talking about consoles. In your case Mr/Ms of the OP minesweeper murders bejeweled, I can't imagine how many people have played baseball or even better yet soccer, while were at it let's qualify as the highest selling game: catch *When one tosses an object and the other catches it*.

/Thread

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D