By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New Phenom II CPUs priced

arsenicazure said:
i7's are priced through the roof...DDR3 phenoms interesting but I'll wait for DDR3 to come down a bit first.

err the Core i7 920 is only $80 more than the Phenom II 940.. how is that "through the roof"?

Frankly price vs performance the Cpre i7 920 is well worth the price versus anything AMD has.

@Wraith - there are plenty of reasons to have a dual core version. It would be way cheaper to manufacture, half the prioce for half the cores, and give performance equal to or better than the high-end last generation quad-cores.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
arsenicazure said:
i7's are priced through the roof...DDR3 phenoms interesting but I'll wait for DDR3 to come down a bit first.

err the Core i7 920 is only $80 more than the Phenom II 940.. how is that "through the roof"?

Frankly price vs performance the Cpre i7 920 is well worth the price versus anything AMD has.

@Wraith - there are plenty of reasons to have a dual core version. It would be way cheaper to manufacture, half the prioce for half the cores, and give performance equal to or better than the high-end last generation quad-cores.

Motherboards. You can get an AM2+ motherboard for under $100 but the cheapest X58 one is over $220 (last time I checked). Also DDR2 is much cheaper than DDR3 (and you can use these AM3 Phenoms with a DDR2 board).

--

Mainstream quad-core i7s are September; dual-core i7s are March 2010 with on-CPU integrated graphics. The graphcs will be the current G45, i.e. sucky compared to everything.

Soleron said:
ssj12 said:
arsenicazure said:

Motherboards. You can get an AM2+ motherboard for under $100 but the cheapest X58 one is over $220 (last time I checked). Also DDR2 is much cheaper than DDR3 (and you can use these AM3 Phenoms with a DDR2 board).

--

Mainstream quad-core i7s are September; dual-core i7s are March 2010 with on-CPU integrated graphics. The graphcs will be the current G45, i.e. sucky compared to everything.

Huh. I thought larrabee was meant to be coming Q1/Q2 2010?

Why would they still use G45?

EDIT @ssj12 - The main problem with that is that these ones compared with the older Core 2s is that the i7s are designed from the ground up as quad core, where as the old Core 2s were 2 Dual Cores gaffer taped together.

So they'd have to use the old yield/disabled cores method which means they probably wouldn't be able to drop the price a full halfway.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
Soleron said:
ssj12 said:
arsenicazure said:

--

Check out Gigabytes new GC-EX58-UD3R.  Newegg has it listed for $199 plus a $15 Mail in rebate.    $185 isn't bad for an X58 board.

Also, the Havendale's (2 cores) are expected to release at or near the same time as the Lynnfeilds's (mainstream 4 cores), not March 2010.   That's when Westmere hits.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Soleron said:
ssj12 said:
arsenicazure said:

--

Check out Gigabytes new GC-EX58-UD3R.  Newegg has it listed for $199 plus a $15 Mail in rebate.    $185 isn't bad for an X58 board.

Also, the Havendale'ss (2 cores) are expected to release at or near the same time as the Lynnfeilds's (mainstream 4 cores), not March 2010.   That's when Westmere hits.

True but i have read that there will be dual-cored versions no matter if we are talking Nehalem or Westmere.

Isnt Lynnfeild supposed to be the new mobile processors?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network

Havendale and Lynnfield are both desktop Nehalem's. Clarksfield and Auburndale are mobile.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Havendale and Lynnfield are both desktop Nehalem's. Clarksfield and Auburndale are mobile.

o ok.

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/exclusive-intels-cans-45nm-auburndale-and-havendale-fusion-cpus/

No, Havendale has been cancelled meaning the first dual-cores are the 32nm shrink of it in March 2010. It's definetely G45 not Larrabee too.